• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60? (1 Viewer)

Firstly the viewfinder resolution is way better, button layout on the rear (you no longer hit the self timer button by mistake) focussing speed appears better. Of course the extra reach in raw, noise may be slightly better.

Give me time to check most of the features but due to commitments I have only shot with it an hour or so.

Bob

I did have trouble with the DPP software, you no longer are provided with a DVD/CD bUt is a download from the cloud. You need to input the camera serial number. I kept on getting a faulty download and needed to get a copy of the link from Canon HK, the problem may have been my broadband but anyway it is solved now.

Bob

Sadly ordering a non-grey important means about £100 more and something of a wait. Amazon saying 7th November. HDEW appears to not be stocking them, unfortunately.

Firstly the viewfinder resolution is way better, button layout on the rear (you no longer hit the self timer button by mistake) focussing speed appears better. Of course the extra reach in raw, noise may be slightly better.

Give me time to check most of the features but due to commitments I have only shot with it an hour or so.

Bob

Thanks for the bit of info on the viewfinder Bob :t: Can you use the teleconverters in raw now or are they still only usable in jpeg?

Paul

Thanks for the bit of info on the viewfinder Bob :t: Can you use the teleconverters in raw now or are they still only usable in jpeg?

Paul
I would be pretty certain that you could not use a tc in RAW Paul as it is some kind of digital manipulation on a jpeg file and not added focal length.

Wex Photographic now have them in stock and available for next day delivery!

I'm sorely tempted to get one, but still dithering if it's worth upgrading from the SX50.

I pick up my SX60 on Saurday, it was released in Hong Kong on the 18th Sept. I have had an SX50 from the first day it was released and have loved it but I don't know how to describe the SX60. One thing for certain there will never be an SX70 as the SX60 can't be improved. It is fantastic.

This is a link to some of my shots

https://flickr.com/photos/23059854@N00/sets/72157647391586057

How much was it Bob? I will be in Singapore in November.

Have we reached a time where no matter what you improve upon with the 60, or 70 or 80 or 100 or whatever they come out with, that the actual benefit to us as birders is somewhat null. There is really only so much zoom we can use, etc.... But I can see improvements on other things such as FPS etc...

Well I for one cannot wait for the arrival of 100 optical because I go way past 50 into digital zoom all the time, mainly - as someone relatively new to birding - to aid identification.

improvements,

My SX50 died today. I have had it for 13 months. I rarely buy service contracts but knowing how much I would use this camera, I purchased it at Best Buys in the US and bought the three year contract. We shall see how well they honor it. I calculate that I have used the camera at least 350 days and taken probably 40,000 photos. It has hit the floor in the back seat twice for a quick stop (mostly it;s on the floor to start with but...) And I did drop it early on but caught it with my foot and stopped most of the blow. It just has a black screen when I turn it on in all modes.

Anyway, I too am tempted to buy a SX60 but Best Buy has them for US $560 so not going to spring just yet. I had one in my hand for about ten minutes last week, a fellow birder had just gotten it and my first realization is the VAST improvement in the view finder. That alone would cause me to upgrade as long as there has not been a degradation in other features. I put on max optical and panned around focusing and re focusing near and far and it seemed to focus faster than the 50 So.......

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back