• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bearded Tits (1 Viewer)

JohnAWalsh0

A run down to the Tay and it environs may be a possibility over the weekend ahead.
Any recent pointer as to where best to go to sight Bearded Tits would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. John.

I've had very little luck seeing the Beardies at the Tay reedbeds, but when I have they've tended to be by the eastern pool at Port Allen (just west of Errol). Only once have I had a relatively close view and she flew off before I could raise the camera. At this time of year it might be possible to walk right round the perimeter of the pool, though the going can be a bit iffy and there are holes and loose rubble to watch out for, and the possibility of brambles blocking the path at the western end, and possibly mud too. I walk down from Errol then head west through the trees, you'll eventually come to an area where you can look out over the reeds to the east. I've never had any luck from here but given the expanse of reeds in front of you and the raised viewpoint, I'm a bit surprised by that. A little further on you come to the pool, it should be possible to get down to the corner by a (probably rather muddy) slope. I suspect there should probably be Bittern down there somewhere at this time of year but its such a big area and no-one is really looking, that you would have to be lucky enough to catch one in flight. Good luck.

Not exactly up to date info but in the late 90s I used to see them regularly, and usually without too much effort, from the end of the track that leads SE out of Errol past "Tay Lodge". There were some raised bits a few hundred yards beyond Tay Lodge (see attached map) where you could look NE across the reads and Beardies could be seen easily from there (but have never seen them from Port Allen). Not sure what that area is like now but don't see any reason why it shouldn't still be a good spot for them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 15.14.58.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 15.14.58.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 64
I am very grateful indeed to you both. Thank you.
I will most likely travel down the A90 on Sunday, AM, to get there, returning back north via the coast road from Dundee.
Will be a first for me if successfully seen, so a bonus if so.
Again, wanted to post my thanks for the most welcome pointers, each of which I will now use in my search.

Thank you.
John.

Given your location, John, another option with a bit more travelling time might be Loch of Strathbeg, where they do tend to sometimes get sightings in winter from at least one of the 'airfield' hides, sometimes quite close, as well as Bittern (also quite close). No idea if they've had any this winter, but some of the Aberdeenshire guys might be 'in the loop' for more info on them. Loch of Kinnordy has also had them a few times in small numbers, but I think it might be a couple of years since the last one. I believe there might be a drake Smew at Kinnordy just now (though I would think it will be mostly frozen over this weekend, which might make it easier to see if it doesn't move on elsewhere to avoid the ice).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back