• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 german birds (1 Viewer)

Resurie

I saw these three species in a park in Düsseldorf, Germany. Can anyone help me identify them, please? :)

Attachments

• IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2448.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 23
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean with "plastic"?
As Nutcracker said. Unfortunately, most of the waterfowl in public parks in Germany are descended from escapees from zoos or private collections. I believe there is even a colony of Chilean Flamingos not very far from Düsseldorf.
That said, its still possible to watch wild waterfowl, especially now, during the winter. Apart from the usual populations in wetland reserves, there are large numbers of wild geese (Greylag, White-fronted, Barnacle etc.) wintering on meadows along the lower Rhine and other pastures.

edit: the Coot in the background of first picture is a wild bird, though.

Last edited:
Or more likely a farm in the case of the domestic Greylag-type (which probably does have some Swan Goose ancestry). Egyptian Geese, while descended from escapes/releases from captivity, are a self-sustaining population in Germany so probably "countable" according to some lists. (They're also ducks rather than geese, genetically speaking, but I guess they are called "geese" because of their size and relatively terrestrial/grazing habits...)

Bar-headed Goose seems to be a fairly common escaped species in much of Europe, but I don't think they are self-sustaining... possibly might become so eventually though? They also seem to hybridise fairly regularly with other (wild or escaped) goose species.

Egyptian Geese, (...) (They're also ducks rather than geese, genetically speaking, but I guess they are called "geese" because of their size and relatively terrestrial/grazing habits...)

Not quite and not that simple. Egyptian Geese are included in the sheldgeese subfamily (Tadorninae), and thus not ducks (subfamilies Anatinae or Aythyinae). On the other hand, "true geese" (Anser, Branta) belong in subfamily Anserinae, which however includes Cygnus swans (and that doesn't make them geese). Finally, as the term "goose" has no scientific value, I guess you can still say Egyptian Geese are geese (in the same way as Chloephaga species, even if not included in subfamily Anserinae).
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadorninae
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatidae

Last edited:
Or more likely a farm in the case of the domestic Greylag-type (which probably does have some Swan Goose ancestry). Egyptian Geese, while descended from escapes/releases from captivity, are a self-sustaining population in Germany so probably "countable" according to some lists. (They're also ducks rather than geese, genetically speaking, but I guess they are called "geese" because of their size and relatively terrestrial/grazing habits...)

Bar-headed Goose seems to be a fairly common escaped species in much of Europe, but I don't think they are self-sustaining... possibly might become so eventually though? They also seem to hybridise fairly regularly with other (wild or escaped) goose species.

Bar headed Geese are considered established in Germany (population around Munich) and in the Netherlands as far as I know.

I'd say the domestic Greylag X is a cross between a domestic Toulouse goose given the dewlaps and because of the slight bump at the top of the bill and the darker stripe at the back of the neck a domestic Chinese goose who's ancestor is the Swan Goose..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back