• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift EAGLET 825R 7x36 CFT prism (1 Viewer)

The Swift is very compact,I think i remember the Monarch to be a tad larger,but i am not sure..
The Vortex seems like a nice deal,although Image quality has to match that of the Eaglet, to be consider a better value,..The Katmai,for instance,has been reviewed as a very good binoculars,with excellent resolution and image quality..but compared with the Eaglet ,the Eaglet is better..is Sharper and has better edge performance..Also,I took the ZEN ED to the Studio today,and measured the FOV against the same wall that i used to measure the Eaglet FOV.
I used the same marks that i used for the Eaglet,(i recorded the Eaglet FOV with tape on the wall)..VERY LITTLE more is Shown in the ZEN FOV,perhaps 2.5 inches past the mark of the Eaglet FOV..
This comparison confirms the FOV of the Eaglet to be 400+feet at 1000 yards..I wonder if they (Swift) assume that the new model has the same FOV of the older model,and are using the old specifications for the CFP version....

Last edited:
I can't give a really good answer since I do not wear glasses with binoculars. I do use reading glasses, and I do try binoculars wearing those. I do not see all of the fov with the reading glasses. I suppose it is in the neighborhood of 95% or so. Now those are just over the counter reading glasses with no particular consideration made for a better fit to my face.

I showed my Swift Eaglet to Charles from Zen Ray at the sportsman's show. I said "here take a look at this, because this is what I would like to see you beat with a compact ZEN ED (subtle hint included)". He looked through it and after a while he said, "this is a really good binocular".

I'm looking forward to Kevin's analysis of the Eaglet. Frank's too, if that's in the works. Frank, maybe we can work a loaner program so you can use mine if your binocular bucks are locked up. But it would be nice for more binoculars of the type to be reviewed as opposed to everybody reviewing the same ones.

That is a really good binocular and a lot of people let it buzz right past their consciousness. I'm going to follow Mayoayo's example and check the fov on mine. Maybe the reason that 374' never seemed restrictive is because it's wider than that. I just took the spec sheet at its word.

Does the Eaglet with ER of 16mm sufficient for use with glasses?

Hi ScoutMan..
Eye relief is good enough for eyeglasses..I use thin eyeglasses,and they fit pretty close to my face ,but nevertheless,i need at least 16 mm eye relief.
When using the Eaglet i can see the whole FOW ,with a crisp Field Stop all around ,with my glasses on...as a matter of fact,with the eye cups all the way down,I can not push the binos all the way in ,or they would (minimally )blackout..but is quite easy and natural to find the right distance.With eye cups all extended the distance from the ocular to the eye is even longer,and i can still see the whole FOV...
so yes ,they have good ER..Very few compromises indeed

Last edited:
Beware of Swift Eaglet 7x36 sales. That model as been around a long time. Some of the older non phase coated models are still around. So are quite a few phase coated, but prior to the current CFT coatings. I have not seen a CFT less than $409 or so.

Is there an easy way to correctly identify them from the specifications? Many sellers give incomplete or incorrect info in their descriptions, and you can't trust their e-mail responses on the technical details any more than what's on the web site. There are several places to get the Eaglet 7x36 for around $350.

Is there an easy way to correctly identify them from the specifications? Many sellers give incomplete or incorrect info in their descriptions, and you can't trust their e-mail responses on the technical details any more than what's on the web site. There are several places to get the Eaglet 7x36 for around $350.

Not so much from the optical specs.

Twist up eyecups rather than rubber fold down eyecups and text on the bin saying "Eaglet - CFT Prisms" (on the front left barrel of the bin - see the first attachment picture). AFAICT the CFT label is the only definitive way to tell them apart (I don't know if there are Eaglets with twist up eyecups and non-CFT prisms).

Most online sites either have the old version or have old images on their sites (I suspect the latter a lot of the time). The images are often too small to see the CFT text too.

Call them and ask seems to be the only way forward.

The two images below: the first is of the newer CFT version; the second is the older non-CFT version. Not to scale!

Attachments

• Swift Eaglet 7x36 825.jpg
    Swift Eaglet 7x36 825.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Swift-Eaglet-and-Nikon-Action-Egret-II_detail.jpg
    Swift-Eaglet-and-Nikon-Action-Egret-II_detail.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Why did I get the impression that these bins were longer? They look fairly compact from the picture provided. Do you have the specs on overall length/weight?

I know I said it before but I may have to seriously give these a go as my "mid-sized/compact" bins. I haven't really found that performance/price "sweet spot" in the 32 mm sizes in the way that I have with the 42s. The Eaglet might fit that niche.

Speaking of which...Kevin, I look forward to hearing your comments when you receive them...especially in comparison to some of the other mid-sized bins you have right now.

The specifications, IF they are listed properly by the seller, and you clearly see the problem there, probably will not list CFT coatings for the prism, but they may well list the CFT in a features section, as some sellers have both sections for a glass.

IF the picture is correct they will show twist type eye cups, and "CFT Prisms" will be visible below the Eaglet label on the lower left hinge. That should show up in the picture I posted above. Some places still have pictures from the pre phase corrected models that still show the roll down rubber eyecups. Even though the picture is fouled up the CFT is clearly listed in either features or specs. The gross specs of size weight, fov etc have remained unchanged since the inception of the binocular over 20 years ago.

So, in short, no there is not any reliable way to know what version you are getting. The only legit ones I can identify are selling for $409. Just be double sure of the return policy if you need to save the $50. Be sure to check with your bank before you order and see if you can get a stop payment or some sort of return. The only dealer I have ordered from that carries the Eaglet is Eagle Optics (where I got mine), but they only have the CFT. The non CFT should be sold off by now but you never know how many were out there before the CFT hit the market.

Model number for the Eaglet CFT is #825R...i wonder if the older eaglet has the same number-letter code,or is simply model #825...,maybe the R stands for "revised"?...

I have an old Swift brochure showing a waterproof 825R Eaglet 7 x 36 like the one shown in thread 28 above. The photo shows printing under the name "EAGLET" on the left barrel but I can't read what it says. CFT is not mentioned in the brochure's description of them. They have the same Kellner Ocular system and "three objective lenses" as the new Eaglets. Both the oculars and objectives are "multi coated" rather than FMC. Weight 20.6 oz. FOV 374'. 16mm ER. No phase coatings are noted for any of the roof's which include Trilytes and Viceroy.
Bob

Last edited:
I have to admit that after seeing that picture I am sort of kicking myself for not buying them off of you mayoayo. Kevin got another stellar deal... ;) . I guess I am just going to have to keep an eye out on Ebay.

If they are truly as compact as they seem then they would make an ideal mid-sized bin and might be exactly what I have been looking for. I need to find a Swift dealer close by and give them a try.

OK, the B&H photo clearly shows the "CFT PRISMS" text. Still listed at $350.

Well, you're right it does show CFT prisms. It does say nothing about CFT coatings in either features or specifications. It also erroneously indicates they have ED glass. In the last job I had, we had a contract with a photographer for some work we did. He swore up and down B & H was reliable and he unhesitatingly did online business with them with nary a problem.

It also looks like there is and additional $50 gift card too. So, if I was considering this, I'd call and tell them after getting the binocular all the way from New York to Hawaii, you wanted it right and would they please check the specimen they ship for the presence of the CFT prisms. It seems to me if they are an up and up outfit, and they apparently are, I've ordered from them too, that request should pose no problem.

I would say the chances are they are offering the real deal. It is the best deal I've seen, but, I've had one and have not been looking for another one.

Last edited:
IIRC they have an online question-and-answer chatbox during business hours. I've asked about some items that way before.

OK, the B&H photo clearly shows the "CFT PRISMS" text. Still listed at $350.

Due to the untimely demise of my Bushnell Discoverers I just got a pair of these. They are indeed the "CFT PRISMS" labelled 825R "made in japan". They're very solid and weighty - even more so than the Discoverers. A bit more compact, of course. In the morning we will see (literally) how they look...

Due to the untimely demise of my Bushnell Discoverers I just got a pair of these. They are indeed the "CFT PRISMS" labelled 825R "made in japan". They're very solid and weighty - even more so than the Discoverers. A bit more compact, of course. In the morning we will see (literally) how they look...

Congratulations. I think you should enjoy these.

I think you may mean "more dense" rather than "more weighty". They are certainly a lot lighter then the Discoverer (by quite a long way ... 8oz or so ... that's almost a Zeiss Victory 8x20 ;) ).

I do have both (well, all three)!

That is a good binocular. I like mine a lot. The only nit I have to pick with it, and for me it is a smallish one, is that it seems it could have bit wider fov. That fov difference is, aside from the physical size differences, the main thing you will likely notice when differences between the Discoverers and Swift start to show up. But any binocular is a compromise on some level.

That Swift is nice and compact and with its full 5mm exit pupil, it is quite usable in shadow and twilight. Nice bright, clear, and sharp image.

Actually there is a second nit to pick. On mine, the eye cups don't stay extended real well, so I'd suggest you get a couple of O-rings to use to keep them in place, if you don't wear glasses.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back