• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Threskiornithidae (1 Viewer)

Perhaps they were trying to escape! It is thought that Glossy Ibises initially colonised South America from Africa, then into Central and North America, a precursor to the similar and more familiar expansion pattern of Cattle Egrets.

Or an unrecorded human introduction??

Perhaps they were trying to escape! It is thought that Glossy Ibises initially colonised South America from Africa, then into Central and North America, a precursor to the similar and more familiar expansion pattern of Cattle Egrets.

But Glossy Ibis has a highly restrictive range in South America - common in Venezuela and Ecuador, and that's about it. Per Hilty, there were few records in Venezuela prior to 1950. AFAIK, there are no records at all from Brazil! So that theory seems highly unlikely. Colonization pretty clearly started in North America, not South.

This is from a pers com from a Spanish birder and I hope I'm telling it right.

I was told that some Glossy Ibis arrived in Bermuda for the winter and were initially thought to be from America but one (or more) were colour ringed and they were traced to the Coto Donana population. That was remarkable enough, but the what is even more remarkable is that they were back in Spain breeding the following spring - so colonisation of America via the North Atlantic can't be beyond the reals of possibility.

Ian

I have heard something similar about ringed birds from Spain being seen and or recovered as dead in the Lesser Antilles (including Barbados). I have not previously heard about them being back in Spain ...

A couple of years ago we had a major influx of Glossy Ibis that was noticeable even in Dominica, and I believe it was in that context that at least some of the stories appeared.

Niels

Platalea minor x Platalea leucorodia

In-Ki Kwon, Ki-Sup Lee, Ji-Yeon Lee, Jong-Hyun Park, and Jeong-Chil Yoo. Hybridization between the Black-Faced Spoonbill (Platalea minor) and Eurasian Spoonbill (Platalea leucorodia) in South Korea. Waterbirds Mar 2017 : Vol. 40, Issue 1, pg(s) 77- 81https://doi.org/10.1675/063.040.0112

[abstract]

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back