• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adorama "Pro Optic" 8x42 (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I had some time on my hands the other day so I took the opportunity to do a little websurfing. I consider myself fairly well versed on the variety of binocular models currently on the market. Still I always feel the need to find a model or two that isn't widely recognized or discussed. During that search I wandered over to the Adorama website as I knew their selection of choices was extensive.

I must readily admit that I find myself increasingly preferential towards binoculars that offer ED glass in their design. The decrease in color fringing on high contrast objects really appeals to my love for incredibly sharp images. The vibrant colors and better apparent brightness also certainly have their appeal.

Lo' and behold there was an inexpensive, ED glass roof prism glass advertised on their site...the Pro Optic (8x42 and 10x42) binocular. After finding the Pro Optic on Adorama's website I did do my research to determine if this binocular had been discussed previously here and on other optics messageboards. I only found two references to it and both of them were on here and from about a year ago. From what I gathered "Pro Optic" is Adorama's "house brand" of binocular. In other words Adorama probably chose a particular optical design from one of the various Chinese manufacturers (my speculation of course). The one review was not a positive one. The problem in that case had to do with a quality control issue with one of the binocular's eyecups. Little else was mentioned since then on this model. So, with that information in hand, I decided to order one. When you consider the binocular's specs/design and its price range I found it hard not to want to give this binocular a thorough review. Speaking of specifications, they are listed below....

ED Glass objective
Open Hinge Roof System
BAK4 Prism
Center Focus, Center Diopter
FullyMultiCoated
Phase Coating
Water Repellent Coater
Magnesium Body
8.3 Degree Angle of View

There isn't any listing for height, width, weight, eye relief or close focus. It arrived two days ago and I have been tinkering with it ever since.

Optics:

This is the one area that most users focus on more so than any other...and for good reason. What use is a binocular with wonderful ergonomics and a butter-smooth focus if the image quality is sub-par? Of course, the answer is "none". ;)

The ED objective certainly delivers. Color fringing is very well controlled in the sweet spot. Apparent sharpness, brightness and color representation are all excellent and entirely comparable with the Zen ED2 that I have on hand. The ED2 might have a very slight edge in terms of brightness but I had to focus extremely hard to pick up on it in regular use. Without doing a "side by side" between the two models I doubt anyone would notice it.

Close focusing distance is a very respectable 5.5 feet. Not as close as one or two binoculars on the market but certainly as good as most models...in any price range.

The field of view is certainly addicting. The 8.3 angular field of view translates into over 430 feet. I love a wide field of view because I feel it gives a more relaxing view and definitely makes it easier for the user to scan large areas or follow fast moving objects. Eye relief seems to be in the 17-18 mm range as I have no problem seeing the field stop at the edge of the image with the eyecups fully depressed into the binocular body.

So, you are probably asking, what isn't to like about this binocular's optical performance. Well, if I had to pick one area that might be this binocular's optical "weak spot" then it would be the edge performance. Noticeable field curvature is present in the outer 1/3rd of the image. Illumination appears to be even across the full field of view but field curvature is present and can be seen readily if one focuses on it.

Mechanical properties:

The focusing speed of this binocular seems fairly fast. I have not measured it at this point but I would not be surprised if it takes approximately 1 to 1.25 turns to go from close focus to infinity with this binocular. Even though the focusing speed is fairly quick I have not had a problem overshooting "perfect focus" on any given object because the focusing tension is excellent. "Butter smooth" is a term often coined in this area and it certainly applies here. I have no complaints whatsoever in terms of focusing speed or tension. In fact I find it ideal!

The diopter design is an interesting one. The diopter is located in the second most common area for binoculars..in between both eyepieces on the central hinge. It does feature a locking mechanism. A small, metal "button" must be depressed in order for the diopter to be adjusted in either direction. It is extended just enough to be easily accessible while still recessed enough not to be accidentally bumped or caught while pulling the binocular out of the case.

The eyecups fully extend and collapse with the typical twist and pull method. They do lock in the fully extended position. I did not notice any problems with the design or construction of this particular feature. Keep in mind that the serial number on this particular unit was fairly high (unlike the unit mentioned in an earlier review).

Central hinge tension is very good on this unit. It just tight enough to keep the IPD constant and yet adjustable enough to move it should you decide to lend the binocular to another consumer.

Size and ergonomics:

This a very compact full-sized binocular. Though not as small as the Zhumell Short Barrel model that I reviewed recently it is very close. Putting the two side by side the Pro Optic is only about a quarter inch longer overall. The physical weight of the binocular is not listed but I would estimate somewhere in the 22-24 oz range. It certainly isn't heavy and feels very solid when handling.

Ergonomics are an extremely individualistic area. In other words every person has their preferences. I seem to be comfortable with a variety of designs provided basic functions are easily met (being able to comfortably reach the focusing knob with comfortable finger placement for example). The open-hinge design on this particular model is very easy to use even with my larger than average hands. There are two, shallow thumb indents on the underside of the binocular to also aid in hand placement.

Conclusion:
I like this binocular. I like it alot. Why? Well the optical performance is certainly way above the price point that they are selling it for. The sweet spot performance is certainly comparable to anything short of the European models. Apparent sharpness, color representation and brightness are all extremely satisfying. The field of view is wonderfully wide. Add those characteristics together and you certainly have a comfortable and enjoyable image. Throw in the ergonomics and the mechanical properties of this model and you definitely have a winner. I strongly encourage others to try this model. It easily is a "best value" and high performer at this price point ($150) and beyond.

- I have not taken any pictures of this binocular but will add some at a later time. For now you will have to settle for the stock picture from the retailer's website.

Attachments

• pro842.jpg
    pro842.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 298
  • pro842_1.jpg
    pro842_1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Without wanting to seem to be jumping to any conclusions, there are several things that jump out at me here.

First, the PRO in Pro Optical. Pacific Rim Optical is owned by Kruger Optics and go by the name PRO.

Second, is that the diopter arrangement is identical to the Kruger Caldera.

Third, the eye cups on the Pro Optic glass are the same as the Kruger Caldera, sans the fold down rubber eye shields of the Caldera.

Fourth, the housing looks like the same one used in the Cabelas Alpha Extreme, built by Kruger for Cabelas

Fifth, the angular fov of 8.3* is shared by the Pro Optics and the Kruger Caldera.

Any of the above are certainly circumstantial and may be coincidental. That many similarities in one place is hard to take as a coincidence. ;)

FrankD, thanks for the review. Would you mind measuring and posting the # of turns from close focus to infinity?

Steve,

Those are a lot of coincidences. I do agree. It would be interesting to put the two side by side and compare. Other than the differing bridge designs it sounds as if they have quite a bit in common. I will go over and check out your Kruger Caldera thread in a minute. I want to see what your comments are like for the edge performance of the Caldera.

SEOW,

I don't have the bins with me at the moment. I will examine that one particular feature after work today and post the information.

Steve,

After reading your Kruger Caldera review I realized that something you said sounded familiar. The apparent field of view in the Pro Optic seems huge. Visibly larger than the Zen ED2 despite there only being a 10-15 foot actual difference. You said much the same about the Caldera. I am really beginning to wonder if you aren't right. Same optics inside but with two different packages.

SEOW,

I was slightly off. Distance from close focus to infinity is 1.3 turns on the focus knob. There is still plenty of focusing travel beyond infinity for those with that specific eye condition.

Still really impressed with this binocular from just about every standpoint. I cannot find anything to really complain about and the little bugger only sells for $150!

I would agree. I have continued to use them over the last few days and continue to be impressed by their performance and handling.

I have not really decided if they truly rival the Zen ED2's for overall apparent sharpness and brightness. I think they are very, very close to original Zen EDs. I do not believe that the Pro Optics utilize dielectric mirror coating which is why I am comparing them directly to the original EDs and not the ED2s. They have a slightly warmer color bias than the ED2s that I have on hand.

FrankD, thanks for pointing this binocular out. Seems like a great deal for only $150. I was looking around trying to find information on any type of warranty for them but was unable to locate anything. The price seems to good to be true if this binocular is comparable to the ZEN ED1 (which I have in 10x and I love). With the decrease in weight and size that you reported in the Pro Optic yet optically comparable to ZEN ED1, this binocular is very desirable (that is as long as it doesn't fall apart, due to no apparent warranty).

w.travis,

I sent an email to Adorama questioning them as to the warranty for this product. When I hear back I will let you know. I don't remember if there was a warranty sheet in the box. I will check when I get home.

..and, yes, overall image quality is very comparable to the Zen ED 1 in terms of clarity, brightness, CA control, apparent sharpness, etc.... The only area, as mentioned previously, that it falls a little bit short is in the edge performance (field curvature present). Handling is excellent because of the shape, open bridge design and weight.

I just received a reply from Adorama. The Pro Optic binoculars are covered under a 1 year Adorama warranty.

Of course that isn't necessarily what anyone wanted to hear. A 5 year or 10 year "No Fault" warranty would certainly have been preferred. Still, for $150 you could buy several and possibly not have to worry about warranty issues at all.

I do wonder, if Steve's conclusion is correct, whether or not the original manufacturer would then step up and offer some type of service to the consumer. Only one way to find out I guess.

;-)

Thank you Helen. That is good to know. I will drop you an email to see what type of price we are talking about.

Here are some of my posts that may be (or not) a clue when these became available - if anyone wants to know. Unfortunately I bought serial #1 (as was indicated on sales receipt ) but it was broken and out of collimation.

I sent an email to Xian opto-electronic co. ltd because i'm curious, Adorama has not responded yet, and there isn't a single review that I can find online. They responded within hours.

They said that they have been manufacturing OEM binoculars for famous brands such as Nikon, Minolta, Bushnell, Viking, Vixen etc over years and have been manufacturing for over 15 years. The model I had an interest in (Pro-Optic) they say had a good reputation at the 2008 photokina fair.

I just noticed and now it's one thing that concerns me is it's listed at Amazon and the Date first available at Amazon.com: June 17, 2003. It hard to believe that no one has purchased these or there are no reviews since......well, never.

eye cups may be a weak link: http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4764/file4386.mp4

Last edited:
Nice video. :)

I did read your posts quite thoroughly before ordering mine and I specifically examined the eyecups upon arrival to see if there were any issues. There weren't/aren't. It could certainly be, as you sort of hinted at, that it was because it was an early model and they had not worked out all of the kinks.

I don't have an answer for the comment about their being around since 2003. That would truly be exceptional in one sense since ED glass bins really didn't get into the mainstream market until maybe 5 or 6 years ago (in roof prism models at least).

I am curious about the issue. When you had the problem (and I did read all about the whole postage for return because of a defective product thread) did you just send them back for a refund? Did you consider the possibility of a repair/replacement under the 1 year warranty? I am not saying I wouldn't have done the same thing as you but I am curious as to why you chose that particular option.

...and just for sh....s and giggles, I ordered a second pair to see if there was any issue with quality control and/or sample variation. Granted two pairs isn't really that great of a "sample" but considering the price.....

;-)

FrankD, I am very curious as to how your second pair turns out. Have you been using your first pair and still enjoying their performance or noticing more complications?

I guess I was a little angry or disappointed. There was no apparent freight damage so I assumed someone didn't check the bin before sending it. They weren't in a sealed box and something significant must have happened to throw the collimation off and break the eye cup.
This was going to be a comparison between Zen Ray ZRS, ED2, and the Pro-Optic. Zen Ray's "wowed" me so I sent the Pro-Optic home. Adorama gave me a full refund and said they were going to provide information on their website regarding defective returns to avoid confusion.

I think eye cups engineered to last is very important as it's a moving part that I move often. The ED2 certainly appears well built under the rubber.

My Vixen Atrek bins already broke an eye cup. The eye cup screws in with plastic threads and it became loose then the plastic eventually got brittle and broke apart. There is lifetime warranty but with a $25 handing fee. I don't want to pay that much for another plastic eye cup that may break again. It would be nice if they would just send me an eye cup. I can screw it in myself and they won't have to 'handle' it.

Last edited:
Just an update, I received the second 8x42 Pro Optic today. Initial inspection prove it to be as good optically and mechanically as the first unit. The serial number places it about 15 units ahead of the first. No difference it seems from the first unit.

More to follow....

Just an update, I received the second 8x42 Pro Optic today. Initial inspection prove it to be as good optically and mechanically as the first unit. The serial number places it about 15 units ahead of the first. No difference it seems from the first unit.

More to follow....

Frank:

You mention this is the second pair from Adorama.

What is the reason for sending you another, was there a problem ?

Jerry

No. No problem. I just wanted to check on quality control from unit to unit. At $150 it didn't seem like a big issue to pick up a second one...plus the performance/price issue makes it almost seem irresponsible not to pick up a second pair.

;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back