• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tattoo design (1 Viewer)

Russ Jones

A friend and I are trading services, he is a photographer and I'm a tattoo artist. In exchange for him doing my wedding photos I am going to design and tattoo a custom piece of his two favorite birds. Here's the concept drawing, the tattoo will be on his arm and will be black and greywash with some white highlights, no Colour. Comments and constructive criticism welcome and appreciated :)

R~

Attachments

• img186reduced.jpg
    img186reduced.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 153
Thanks guys.

Ed, to be honest I have never seen a harpy or Philippine eagle so I only had photos from the net to go by, however I think I have it pretty close. The massive beak of the Philippine eagle makes most others look pretty refined in comparison. It should also be noted that when the image is wrapped around the arm it will stretch it out slightly, adding a bit of length. Aldo, this is just a concept, the final piece will likely be a bit different.

Cheers!

Russ

Last edited:
Great drawings indeed Russ - two of the best eagles in the world!! But I do agree with Ed that the Harpy's bill is a little off..it needs a deeper arch to the culmen and a bigger 'hook' - check some more pics as they have quite a large bill too, just not as massive as the Philippine. Gotta get it right as you can't paint over it when it's finished and doesn't look right like we can!! ;)

Here's a couple that might give a better idea:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ha...&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:19&biw=1280&bih=572
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ha...t=19&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:19&tx=91&ty=78

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments! After looking at a few harpy shots I have to agree that it needs a bit of attention on the beak, and the "eyebrow" also needs to be more subtle. Thanks for the input, I'll post the finished tattoo when it's done.

Cheers,

Russ

Superb drawings - anxious to see the final version (and the work on your friend after it's done, if he's willing...!). Certainly will be a unique tat!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back