• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

water and the apo televid (1 Viewer)

Willsoar139

Hi everybody,
Does anyone have any info on the water resistance of the zoom eyepiece of the apo 77 scope? I went to the coast at the weekend and got a little sand in it, and washed it in a little water. It is now completely full of condensation and I cant see a thing through it. Will it simply clear overnight, or is there a leak in the casing?
Cheers
Will

Will, on behalf of admin and all the moderators, welcome to BirdForum.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to help with your query. It doesn't sound too good to me, but I do hope it clears up.

i think the eyepiece is only 'waterproof' when actually attached to the body of the scope. the lens you look through is supposed to be tightly sealed, however the part wich goes into the body will only be sealed when secured to the scope, as there is a seal at that end too.

my apo 77 is new and has the lockable eyepiece, wich when in place, is supposed to be air tight! - however i aint been through a down pour or had to wash my scope yet so cant comment on any defects as yet - touch wood!

Willsoar139.

Have a look at your zoom eyepiece, when it is disconnected from the scope. Turn the magnification changer. Does the lens move in and out? If yes, then I would agree with salty. Some zooms are waterproof when attached to the scope, but not disconnected. BTW, I would NEVER use tap water on cleaning a lens. The chemicals in the water may damage the coatings if you carry out this procedure on a regular basis over a number of years.

You will find that some fixed eyepieces are waterproof whether attached to the scope or not, but this is dependant on the manufacturer.

I have a feeling that it isn't a waterproof eyepeice...

I had a problem with a zoom eyepiece fogging up on an older scope - I just took the eyepiece off and left it in a bag with some silica gel overnight - in the morning all the condensation was gone, so this could be worth a try.

Just in reply to mak's comments - this really depends on where you live, the tap water up here has barely a chemical trace in it, and has caused no problems at all with my scope or bins, I even wash myself in it! ;)
Back to the original point, my scope often gets a salty pounding from the sea, and I have always dribbled tap water over the eyepiece and the lens when attached, I've never had the guts to fully submerge the scope at all, unlike my bins which often get a good bathing.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back