• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D11 vs 5D3 and 1DX (1 Viewer)

A few more shots attached taken with 7d2 & 100-400-2 from last week gone.
Still not great light and all shots jpeg as not able to get into Raw files,even tried downloading supplied Canon Disc but old laptop i have is running XP so not compatible.
Kingfisher 1/664 sec f5.6 iso 800 50% crop

Yellow Bittern 1/8oo sec f5.6 iso 800 70% crop

Green Pidg 1/400 sec f5.6 iso 1250 slight crop

Sunbird 1/320 sec f5.6 iso 1600 slight crop

Oriole 1/640 sec f5.6 iso 250 60% crop

All shots taken at 400mm.

Used about same set up i do with 7d and still just messing with 1-6 af modes

Attachments

• king-3.jpg
    king-3.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 152
  • yellow-one.jpg
    yellow-one.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 129
  • green-p.jpg
    green-p.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 147
  • MANBIRD.jpg
    MANBIRD.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 123
  • black nape.jpg
    black nape.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 130
40D and 7D MK11

Here's a couple of comparisons with my old 40D and the 7DMK11. Jpegs straight out of the camera..no processing. I changed the pixels to match the 40D. ISo is slightly different but so slight as to not make a difference in my mind.

Just in case anybody gives a hoot.

Attachments

• 100_crop.jpg
    100_crop.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 200_crop.jpg
    200_crop.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 640_crop.jpg
    640_crop.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 119
Julian
The 7d2 shots do look much cleaner but so they should on a much more up to date body.
My mind is still not made up about the 7d2,will have to wait until i return home and compare shots with my 7d but i have a feeling there wont be much in it Image Quality wise,frames per second high iso and af seem much better but i am sure i would have had a sharper end product with the original 7d shooting in the same conditions.
Only time will tell i suppose and like you and lots of other folk out there i think i was expecting too much of the 7d2 and am left feeling a tad let down with it.
I will persevere for now though and keep on trying out new settings with the body before i can be sure if i will like it as much as i did the 7d when it was first released.
BTW i did try my shipmates 70d with the same lens and there was very little in it Image Quality wise with the 7d2 just shading it.
Day off work tomorrow so will try and get out and about again and hope to get a nice clear morning to try camera in better light.

Bob

I have a 7D and a 5D MK III. My Tamron 150-600 works brilliantly with both of them.
My new 7D MK II is not sharp at the focus point, this is my second body having sent the first one back to B&H. I am now calibrating my lenses hoping this takes care of the problem. The focus issue continues to all my canon L lenses.

'I'm sure the camera is capable of much better. I went out with a new owner both yesterday and today and the results are very impressive although I haven't as yet decided if I want one after all.'

Well I'm one of these people with Dave. I have found that mine is far and away better by a country mile than any of the 2 7D's I had. I do have got say I hated with a vengeance the 7D, so those who love their 7D and get good results, which I never did, will probably not be as happy as I am. Set up right, reasonable light and a good subject and I am more than happy with mine. For people outside the UK it is impossible to comprehend that the level of light we have for about 5 months of the year is by and large not good, aside from the lovely winter days when it can be excellent.

I moved from a 1D3 to reduce the weight and I am in no way regretting it, aside from being paranoid about banging it whereas with the 1D I was more worried with it banging me.

Do have to say that Dave lent me his 70-200 2.8 and I was bewildered by all the af points available in the viewfinder and struggled to even see the birds! With bit of help from my iDX user friend the af on bif was just amazing for me, remembering I came from an old camera that I loved. So I have quite some work to do in this area. The 10fs is amazing and it is quieter and smoother than my old tank.

I do not post much on BF these days as I am sick and tired of the petty wrangling, name calling and putting people down that goes on in many threads. This thread and others like it though do continue to maintain objective, reason and be of value to contributors. I'm sure I am not alone on this view.

Last edited:
Hi

can anyone tell me will the 7D mark II autofocus with a 2x converter on a 300mm F4 lens.

I have been using a 50D + 300m F4 + 1.4 teleconverter which has been reasonably ok.

I am now considering 2 new options;

Canon 70D + 100-400 mark II or 7D mark II + 300m F4 + 1.4 teleconverter

which would be better for general bird photography

cheers Nick

Hi

can anyone tell me will the 7D mark II autofocus with a 2x converter on a 300mm F4 lens.

I have been using a 50D + 300m F4 + 1.4 teleconverter which has been reasonably ok.

I am now considering 2 new options;

Canon 70D + 100-400 mark II or 7D mark II + 300m F4 + 1.4 teleconverter

which would be better for general bird photography

cheers Nick
yes it will AF as it goes down to f8 . f4 +2x =f8

I think the 7dmkII and 100/400mkII is the way to go .

Rob

The autofocus is a bit slower with a teleconverter which will hamper BIF photography. Yeah, the permagloom UK light is not something I miss!

Also, I set my 10fps to 7fps since I found I was shooting too many frames on stuff I didn't need and it was adding to my downloading and editing time.

I set my autofocus to expanded center-point and set the rear AF-ON button to autofocus - this allows me to utilize ONE SHOT mode to focus lock and recompose without changing the focus point (
I find it is quicker than selecting another focus point with the joystick). If the bird flies, holding this button down gives me AI Servo mode. For me, using the shutter-button to focus is old hat.

I have NR turned off in the camera, since if I use high ISO I will use post-processing tools to get rid of noise.

I also don't have Highlight Tone priority enabled and the Auto Light Optimizer (ALO) is set to low, so if anyone has any input about using these or another functions, feel free to share.

Interestingly I've just come in from birding having chatted to a lady using a 7D2 in conjunction with a 300 f2.8 and converter, having left her 500 f4 and 1DX at home. Hardly scientific, but she was in no doubt that the 7D2 was a significant step forward.
For my budget the 7D2 and new 100-400 is as Gyrob suggests the way to go. Only decision is whether to px old for new 100-400 and learn to use on existing 40D, or upgrade the body first with the 40D having virtually no px value and probably best kept as a backup.
Maybe 2015 will be the time for loading a credit card.

Russ

I went out two days ago to play with my newest toy from Santa - a Canon 1.4x Mk III extender - between my 7DII and my 400mm/F5.6.

As Julian says, the autofocus was slower and struggled with birds such as cormorants flying up the estuary towards me - not helped by the fact that I discovered yesterday that the combo was rear-focussing, so I've applied some microfocus adjustment to the body, which I hope will fix the problem. Dull weather again today, so I'm waiting for some sun for a field test.

Once the approaching birds got level the camera found focus and if not for the rear-focussing problem this redshank might have been OK.

Mid-winter sunlight, 12.30pm. F8, 1/1600 sec, ISO 640. Sharpened and a bit of noise reduction in neat image. The image shown is cropped to about two-thirds of the frame and resized to 1000 pixels for uploading.

EDIT I've uploaded the original completely unedited (but resized) for comparison.

Attachments

• Redshank-(1)-web.jpg
    Redshank-(1)-web.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Redshank-(1)-web-full-frame.jpg
    Redshank-(1)-web-full-frame.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I went out two days ago to play with my newest toy from Santa - a Canon 1.4x Mk III extender - between my 7DII and my 400mm/F5.6.

As Julian says, the autofocus was slower and struggled with birds such as cormorants flying up the estuary towards me - not helped by the fact that I discovered yesterday that the combo was rear-focussing, so I've applied some microfocus adjustment to the body, which I hope will fix the problem. Dull weather again today, so I'm waiting for some sun for a field test.

Once the approaching birds got level the camera found focus and if not for the rear-focussing problem this redshank might have been OK.

Mid-winter sunlight, 12.30pm. F8, 1/1600 sec, ISO 640. Sharpened and a bit of noise reduction in neat image. The image shown is cropped to about two-thirds of the frame and resized to 1000 pixels for uploading.

EDIT I've uploaded the original completely unedited (but resized) for comparison.
Strangely I got a very similar shot of a Redshank in-flight with the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc (mkII) yesterday but on the 5D3 - because I was on a full frame mine is a very heavy crop (less that 20% of the full frame!).
Although the combo is a lot slower to AF than the bare lens it is well usable IMO especially if you use a focus limiter and can pre focus to somewhere in the very rough area.

Attachments

• Redshank02 560mm.jpg
    Redshank02 560mm.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 164
I was with someone the other day who was trying the 7D2 on his 600mm f4 and I was using my 1DX on a 500mm f4.
His image doesn't look too different to mine. I think his is probably uncropped whereas mine is cropped to 60%.... the rough equivalent of the in camera crop of the 7D2. My settings were apparently nearer the mark than his as he had to do more PP but the resulting images are very similar.
Neither image are what we would be proud of as outstanding examples but the light was very poor. It's more designed as a crop comparison.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwilliamsnaturephotography/15977159827/
What it has got me thinking about is that for use with a shorter lighter lens like the 300mm f2.8 the 7D2 could be a cracker for BIF photography whereas with the FX cameras the subject has to be very close indeed particularly with smaller birds.

A few more shots attached taken with 7d2 & 100-400-2 from last week gone.
Still not great light and all shots jpeg as not able to get into Raw files,even tried downloading supplied Canon Disc but old laptop i have is running XP so not compatible.
Kingfisher 1/664 sec f5.6 iso 800 50% crop

Yellow Bittern 1/8oo sec f5.6 iso 800 70% crop

Green Pidg 1/400 sec f5.6 iso 1250 slight crop

Sunbird 1/320 sec f5.6 iso 1600 slight crop

Oriole 1/640 sec f5.6 iso 250 60% crop

All shots taken at 400mm.

Used about same set up i do with 7d and still just messing with 1-6 af modes

Lovely images. Definitely not taken in South Shields though! Where were they taken?

Lovely images. Definitely not taken in South Shields though! Where were they taken?

Mark
See Toh got it spot on all shots taken in Singapore where i am working on a ship at this present time,if i manage any free time i try and get my birding fix at the local birding spots.Shots i posted were taken at Sungie Buloh Wetlands and some at Chinese Garden.Light out here is pretty awfull right now as rained just about every day since i arrived here in mid Dec,this is down to the North East Monsoon which is causing all of the flooding etc in Malaysia right now.
I was out yesterday morning again trying to get the hang of my new 7d2 paired with the 100-400mm mk2 but the Jury is still out for me on this combo,cant help but think all the shots taken so far are rather soft and decided to drop the Body & Lens off at Canon this afternoon for them to check them out for me,told it could take up to two weeks so its back to the SX50 for now.
I will attach a few shots from yesterdays rainy morning at Chinese Garden,sods law as today was a lovely morning but i was back at the graft.

PS See Toh loved your shot of the Barn Owl from Dairy Lane,i will have to get out that way some day.

Cheers & Happy New Year To All

Bob

Attachments

• hide-and-seek.jpg
    hide-and-seek.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 76
  • king-gob.jpg
    king-gob.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 87
  • yella-hide.jpg
    yella-hide.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 80
  • apple-dove.jpg
    apple-dove.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 70
  • lora.jpg
    lora.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 72
On other forums and also talking to friends it seems quite a few 7d 2s are being sent back due to focusing issues, i thought maybe the problem was user error but i do know 2 individuals who know their way around cameras 1ds, 5d3, who have returned theirs due to this problem, i was going to upgrade my mk1 and get a 7d2 after xmas but am now holding back to see what happens next, obviously some guys are having no problems with theirs but it would be just my luck to get a duffer!
I want the improved auto focus, silent shutter, etc but must say from photo's posted on the web i have seen nothing that the existing mk1 could'nt do just as well! i dont doubt that when working and set up correctly this body will be a good step forward though;

I guess my question is that with a mass-produced body and one that is used with various lenses, what is a focussing issue?
The body comes with a micro-adjustment feature, so mine was front-focussing a bit so I adjusted it.

Are we talking about other focussing issues that require the body to be sent back?

Until now, I never had a body that was capable of micro-adjustment, so I would have to send in my lens and body for calibration which is a pain.

Tried the Microadjustment when i first bought the 7d2 & Lens but there was nothing in it +1 if i remember right.
Must admit taking it in to Canon was the last thing i wanted to do but when you are forking out hard earned cash on photo gear you want it to be right otherwise you feel somewhat cheated.
Fingers crossed Canon can sort it or it may be a case of going FF as other folk have done without regret.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back