• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica UK - Trade in - Trade up Promotion (1 Viewer)

mak

United Kingdom
Leica Sport Optics in the UK has implemented a part exchange offer to anyone who wishes to part exchange their current binocular for either a new Leica Ultravid HD Plus or Noctivid binocular.

You can part exchange your existing binocular at participating UK & ROI, Leica authorised dealers. If you buy a new Ultravid HD Plus you will get an extra £100 (inc vat) added to your existing binoculars part exchange value or £150 (inc vat) if you purchase the new Noctivid.

For example, if your binocular has a part exchange value of £200 (this is what the dealer offers you), then anyone buying an Ultravid HD Plus will receive a total of £300 (additional £100) towards their Leica purchase

The offer started 1st July 2017 and ends 30th September 2017.

Attachments

• Leica_Trade_Promo_.pdf
    709.9 KB · Views: 209
I read somewhere on a shop site, 'A working binocular'.

£10 amazon special?

Is it a cash back offer or a real price reduction no strings attached?

An extra £100 doesn't really cut it and in fact means very little. Anyone can negotiate £100 and more off new alpha bins through a decent dealer.
The part ex price is the same regardless..

An extra £100 doesn't really cut it and in fact means very little. Anyone can negotiate £100 and more off new alpha bins through a decent dealer.
The part ex price is the same regardless..

If your binocular has a part ex value of £200 ( the dealer will make a small profit selling on), under the trade in offer, you will receive £300 if you purchased an Ultravid HD Plus. The dealers original advertised selling price is unaffected.

Example. The Ultravids HD plus that you are interested in buying is advertised at £1600? Your current binocular has a part ex value of £200, so with the Leica offer your current binocular has a part ex value of £300, leaving an outstanding amount to pay of £1,300. The original advertised price of £1,600 may already be discounted, so it would be interesting to see a further £100 negotiated.

I was genuinely interested in this offer, I don't think it works to be honest. It's too easy for retailers to knock £150 or more, off the trade in value.

For example, do you think £600 is a reasonable max trade in value for a pair of duovids?!

LOL, or £500 if in excellent condition, from another retailer.
This has ramifications for Leica, in that I could go away thinking, "wow, my top quality Leica binoculars have dropped in value from £1700 to £500 in 4 years. I'm not going near them again".

But I'm not a very good negotiator / salesman, it would be interesting to hear if anyone does better than me out of this offer.

The offer is a typical manufacturers way to promote the products. The know how to make them but as is often the case don't know how to sell them.

Forget the trade in offer for a minute and negotiate the best possible price for your new bins with your dealer. Then and only then get the trade in price along with this additional £100 and see what happens. You mind find your dealer suddenly starts shuffling or develops a cough.

Its the same as buying a car....so don't be fooled. Negotiate hard and if they don't play ball walk away. Its up to the consumer to drive down prices.

On bins worth £1500 this is tantamount to 6% discount!! Laughable.

I was genuinely interested in this offer, I don't think it works to be honest. It's too easy for retailers to knock £150 or more, off the trade in value.

For example, do you think £600 is a reasonable max trade in value for a pair of duovids?!

If it was a regular model my answer would be no, for a £1700 glass I would be looking for £850 trade-in and then to see them offered at £1125. However Duovids aren't regular and have a poor field of view and weigh more than a kilo, but with the option of two magnifications that will interest some folks but not all. You would be better off offering them for sale on this forum so that you know anybody enquiring about them isn't put off by these things. A dealer might have to wait a long time before anybody shows an interest and so will pitch the trade-in price lower for obvious reasons.

As for Leica's trade-in bonus, I don't know this for a fact, but I would imagine Leica is supporting the dealer to grant this so there should be no incentive on the part of the dealer to dodge giving it in any way.

Lee

As for Leica's trade-in bonus, I don't know this for a fact, but I would imagine Leica is supporting the dealer to grant this so there should be no incentive on the part of the dealer to dodge giving it in any way.

Lee

One shop offered £600, one offered £500, for the same binoculars. One is effectively keeping back the £100 trade up for themselves. Too many variables.

Works if you have £2K to spend and a £10 fisher price binocular though, and no shame!

Dixons used to do these binocular deals and ended up with thousands of binoculars.
I don't know what they did with them. Hopefully donated them to countries needing them.

They also had a fire sale in a main store. Everything went for about 10% list. I wash awash with camera lenses.

If it was a regular model my answer would be no, for a £1700 glass I would be looking for £850 trade-in and then to see them offered at £1125. However Duovids aren't regular and have a poor field of view and weigh more than a kilo, but with the option of two magnifications that will interest some folks but not all. You would be better off offering them for sale on this forum so that you know anybody enquiring about them isn't put off by these things. A dealer might have to wait a long time before anybody shows an interest and so will pitch the trade-in price lower for obvious reasons.

Lee

Lee

Correct.

Dixons used to do these binocular deals and ended up with thousands of binoculars.
I don't know what they did with them. Hopefully donated them to countries needing them.

They also had a fire sale in a main store. Everything went for about 10% list. I wash awash with camera lenses.

Excellent idea, to offer those binoculars with no 2nd hand re-sell value to organisations, schools or charities.

Already been suggested.

One shop offered £600, one offered £500, for the same binoculars. One is effectively keeping back the £100 trade up for themselves. Too many variables.

QUOTE]

OK I can see why you would think that but different shops have always offered different trade-ins depending on the level of interest they expect their own customers might have in the model in question. And Duovids might be expected to vary more than other models because they are just not mainstream and represent more of a risk as to how long they might sit on the shelf. Some dealers might be more risk averse than others and offer less.

Lee

Lee

I'm missing something here. You say a "regular" pair would trade in for £850, and sell on for £1125. Profit of just under £300. Sounds fair.

Then why would they offer £500 for a "non-regular" pair that they will have trouble selling, but still price them up at £1100? Twice the profit margin for something not as popular/ not as good. Why aren't we seeing used duovids on the shelves for £800, which they would sell no problem, while still making the same profit? And freeing up display shelf space.

Last edited:
I'm missing something here. You say a "regular" pair would trade in for £850, and sell on for £1125. Profit of just under £300. Sounds fair.

Then why would they offer £500 for a "non-regular" pair that they will have trouble selling, but still price them up at £1100? Twice the profit margin for something not as popular/ not as good. Why aren't we seeing used duovids on the shelves for £800, which they would sell no problem, while still making the same profit? And freeing up display shelf space.

Peter
I don't know where this idea came from that they would offer Duovids at £1100 secondhand as I don't recall this in our discussion and honestly I have no idea what used Duovids sell for. In my personal opinion Duovids only appeal to a minority of bino users because although they offer two magnifications they are heavy and have a poor field of view. The trade-in value will depend on how long the dealer thinks he will have to wait to get his money back.
Maybe some dealers might sticker the used Duovid at £1100 for a few months to see if someone bites, and if it doesn't sell, they will probably eventually drop the price to move it. Equally, some dealers might do exactly as you suggest and sticker them at £800 just to shift them as soon as possible.
Individual dealers have to work within what the know about their clientele so it is probably unhelpful to imagine that they all follow the same rules about trade-in and sell-on prices.

Lee

Last edited:
Individual dealers have to work within what the know about their clientele so it is probably unhelpful to imagine that they all follow the same rules about trade-in and sell-on prices.

Lee

That's why this deal isn't working for me. Too many variables. Too easy to exploit, or feel like you are being ripped off.
e.g. my fictitious Ultravid BL 8x42s.. just been quoted £300 tops from a well known retailer. (£1700 new)

Don't get me wrong I jump on good deals. But after an initial investigation I'm not remotely tempted here, I walked away at the first step. Better for me to sell privately, and buy Used in a couple of years if I wanted to go down that path.

Apologies, you did come across as an expert in all aspects of binocular retail.. Duovids 8x, are ~£1700 new, ~£1100 used looking at various shops. I saw one at £800 but it looked grim from the photo, mildewy. Looked like it had been buried!

Last edited:
That's why this deal isn't working for me. Too many variables. Too easy to exploit, or feel like you are being ripped off.
e.g. my fictitious Ultravid BL 8x42s.. just been quoted £300 tops from a well known retailer. (£1700 new)

Don't get me wrong I jump on good deals. But after an initial investigation I'm not remotely tempted here, I walked away at the first step. Better for me to sell privately, and buy Used in a couple of years if I wanted to go down that path.

Apologies, you did come across as an expert in all aspects of binocular retail.. Duovids 8x, are ~£1700 new, ~£1100 used looking at various shops. I saw one at £800 but it looked grim from the photo, mildewy. Looked like it had been buried!

I am absolutely not an expert in retail but I have traded loads of optics and photo gear over the years and so was basing my posts on this.

Of course selling privately whether its binos, cameras or cars is always better financially than trade-in.

But Leica's offer is a nice one and if you take a look at post 14 you can see that MAK (who speaks for Leica Sports Optics UK) confirms the extra trade-in is not coming out of the dealer's back pocket so there is no reason to think he will try and get it back by some rip-off means.

Good luck, Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back