• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

For The Optics Tinkers Amongst Us (1 Viewer)

pete_gamby

Birds? What Birds?!
I spotted this tool in Astronomy Now magazine and decided to get some for our service team:

http://www.365astronomy.com/365astronomy-adjustable-lens-tool.html

The service guys and gal are all over the moon with their new toys and are finding multiple uses for it besides its primary design purpose which is to help with the removal of the retaining rings that typically hold objective lens cells in place. Prior to this they'd been using a variety of custom-made tools and filed out bits of metal!

So if you want to dismantle, tighten the hinge of or otherwise generally invalidate the warranty of your new binos even faster than before, get one :)

Alternatively, if you have an old bino that needs a good internal clean, this might help you out.

Cheers, Pete

Thoughtful of you to post this Pete, many thanks, and this device looks highly suitable for all kinds of home surgery too :eek!:

Lee

Got a similar one and use it since years for repairs on donated OLD bins for the second life optics project.
Only problem is.......when the retaining ring won't move, which it often doesn't, the pins shoot loose and scratches very ugly over the lens.
So, don't try this at valuable bins:-C
Or do and than donate your bino:)

Jan

It can be used as a Pin Wrench to tighten the loose central hinges of some binoculars if said binoculars have a removable blind cap on the front of their hinges as some (but not all of them) do.

Bob

'Must be a nice life! Navy Opticalmen had to machine and harden their own--one of 6 tools we had to machine before being turned loose on the real Navy. The separation was achieved as the pin parts were slid along 3 steel shafts. When I saw how the wrenches of some others kept sliding past where it was supposed to be, I was not impressed. So, when the "A" School chief was out, I took one of those pieces, which I would use in the middle of my wrench, placed it in a vice and gave it a whack with a 1 pound ball peen. I wasn't bent enough for the chief to notice. But, it WAS bent enough for the setting to remained wherever I put it for the next 41 years and counting. :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back