• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cotopaxi Ecuador American Kestrel? (1 Viewer)

CLC

Distant blurry photo, but could this be anything other than an American Kestrel? Taken in June, Cotopaxi National Park, near the lagoon, so about 3800 meters elevation. The bird flew very quickly, so this is the only one I got...

Yes, it would be strange to go Ecuador for a lifer that has probably flown through my yard, but I don't count unless I or someone is near certain. And they are fast. If a kestrel, I almost never see them perched...

Thanks!

Attachments

• Am Kestrel ? Cotopaxi.jpg
    Am Kestrel ? Cotopaxi.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 120
I don't see a high-alitude flycatcher with similar coloration patterns, but I might have missed something in the book... This was high-elevation grassland/small bushes, what they call paramo in Spanish. None of the bushes were more than 4-5 feet high.... Sorry, can't give a better idea of size. I only saw it long enough for one not very good picture...

I don't know if Vermilion F. reaches that high, I feel there is some red in this one.

Niels

Does Brown-backed Chat-tyrant (Ochtoeca fumicolor) occur at Cotopaxi? First impression was of D'Orbigny's Chat-tyrant (that's precisely why I suggested "flycatcher"), which however does not occur in Equador. O. fumicolor seems to be the closest species to D'Orbigny's (but with noticeably paler wingbars), and 3800 m is well within its altitudinal range, as is habitat. There's one visible pale (colour impossible to ascertain correctly from this photo) wingbar.
In any case you can exclude any species of Falcon.

Does Brown-backed Chat-tyrant (Ochtoeca fumicolor) occur at Cotopaxi? First impression was of D'Orbigny's Chat-tyrant (that's precisely why I suggested "flycatcher"), which however does not occur in Equador. O. fumicolor seems to be the closest species to D'Orbigny's (but with noticeably paler wingbars), and 3800 m is well within its altitudinal range, as is habitat. There's one visible pale (colour impossible to ascertain correctly from this photo) wingbar.
In any case you can exclude any species of Falcon.

Ochthoeca fumicolor looks a good fit to me. Ridgely & Greenfield give an altitude range of 2800-4200m. On Habits they say "Found singly or in pairs, often perching conspicuously atop a bush, small tree of Espletia spike". One I missed when I was there in 2015.

Ochthoeca fumicolor looks a good fit to me. Ridgely & Greenfield give an altitude range of 2800-4200m. On Habits they say "Found singly or in pairs, often perching conspicuously atop a bush, small tree of Espletia spike". One I missed when I was there in 2015.

I meant to add that the map in Ridgely & Greenfield suggests that it should occur at Cotopaxi.

My first impression is a Bush-Tyrant, not a Chat-Tyrant. The photo leaves a lot to be desired. It does look more like a pale eyebrow than a pale throat, which favors a Chat-Tyrant, but just throwing it out as a first impression.

My book has vermillion flycatcher as up to 3000 meters, so Cotopaxi would be too high. Altitude (and habitat) is right for Brown-backed Chat Tyrant, however, and I had not thought of that species.

Thanks for the responses, all. I will probably leave this as unknown/possible, unless someone makes a definitive case. I will also try to see what I can do with the photo...

And yes, the photo is not good...this was a new camera for me, and my first half-way decent one (a Nikon super-zoom). I still have a lot to learn about using it. I have other Cotopaxi bird questions to post when I get some time, and those pictures are better...!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back