• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worst country bird list (1 Viewer)

screaming piha

What country have you visited and yet seen fewest bird species?

I have spent a total of six hours in the United States, all in transit at Houston. I spent most of that time enjoying the hospitality of the US immigration service, but out of the window I saw three species:

Black Vulture
European Starling
House Sparrow

Can anyone beat that for a poor list for any country?

John

Now, now Terry. We created the Starling and the Sparrow invasion. We have Eugene Schieffelin to thank for that. ;)

On my first stopover at Orebro in Sweden, 3 hours on the ground, I managed a Great Tit, and all day at Helsinki airport in Finland, also only managed one species - Hooded Crow.

I spent a week in Malta in winter a coulpe years ago and only managed three species - house sparrow, feral pigeon and Sardinian warbler.

Just noticed this is my 1000th post here...

Last edited:
postcardcv said:
I spent a week in Malta in winter a coulpe years ago and only managed three species - house sparrow, feral pigeon and Sardinian warbler.

Just noticed this is my 1000th post here...

Congrats on 1,000 posts and my condolences for your Maltese dearth.

It seems I am a rank amateur when it comes to low listing...

Malta: a friend who didn't realise quite how appalling the Maltese hunting problem is, went for a week with his family and saw one bird (not just one species, but one individual bird). It was a Starling, and a guy with a gun was stalking it.

I have 3 species for Mexico in about one hour there- Great-tailed Grackle, House Sparrow, and European Starling. Not to mention the hordes of countries I have "0" for :bounce:

I had to transit through a slice of Nicaraguan territory on a river trip from Tortoguero to Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui in Costa Rica. At the border post we saw a Greater Kiskadee.

David

Went to Jordan about 15 years ago and the plane picked up in Berlin, pre-German reunification. I saw my first Hooded Crow on the runway. So my German Democratic Republic list stands at one, and always will!

Terry O'Nolley said:
my condolences for your Maltese dearth.

As I was on my honeymoon at the time I perhaps didn't spend as much time looking for birds as I could have done...

Was thinking about this thread again and it struck me that on the way to Hong Kong (many years ago) we had a 2 hour stop in India, but saw no birds... so technically it's my worst country list. But three species in a week in Malta seems much poorer - it probably says a lot about the impact of hunting over there.

My China list consists of of only one species, Black-backed Wagtail, seen through the window from the airport in Hong Kong. Dan ;)

Last edited:
Bonaire....Dutch Antilles...

Laughing Gull and Long Tailed Mocking Bird....but since both were lifers I was very happy ....45 mins I think...(plus Doves that I couldn't id!!)

(Most airports have H.Sparrows...Doves or Pigeons....)

China - six WEEKS travelling around and 90 species. Some birders count individual birds there.

Went 1000km along Jangtze river and didn't see single duck or gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back