• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7Dayshop 10x42 waterproofs (UK) - first impressions (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder

Watch the birdie...
About a week ago, my curiosity got the better of me.

7Dayshop have been selling these roof prism binoculars for a long time now, and they get glowing reviews from nearly everyone who has bought them, so I ordered a pair.

I know: you're thinking "how good does a pair of bins have to be, to be £18 well spent, eh?"

Well mine were delivered this morning and I spent a few hours with them in dull grey weather and in woodland: a fairly tough first test for any bins.

And they're really, very, very good!

I've owned a pair of Leica 8x32 BAs for several years now, so I'm familiar with what it's like to look through quality binoculars - and these cheapies do a damn' good job of challenging the idea that you have to pay big bucks for real quality.

In fact it would be fair to say that I'm gobsmacked.

OK, they don't "snap" into focus in quite the way the top bins do, but once I'd got the dioptre set I had no problem with getting onto birds quickly and accurately.

Colour rendition was very accurate, with CA/fringing only present in high contrast situations, like viewing a crow against the sky - but it was by no means obtrusive.

The image was honestly as bright, sharp and as pleasing as any I've seen from bins costing much more - you simply don't feel like you're looking through budget binoculars, and I had no problem getting a steady image.

I'm not a fan of the captive objective lens covers, but the rain guard at the eyepiece end is fine.

The eyecups are solid, and twist up and down smoothly and easily.

Close focus isn't really up to much - I've measured it tonight at 8 yards/7.27 metres - but come on!

Field Of View (FOV) is apparently 6deg/105m @ 1000m and they seemed fine in this regard.

A relatively shallow Depth Of Field (DOF) means that you'll be refocussing a wee bit more than with the top bins, but the focus wheel is smooth and backlash free, so it's really not a problem.

They're pleasantly lightweight and easy to handle, and they do actually handle very well - no rough or pointy bits to get in the way or make life less pleasant - and they're advertised as nitrogen purged and fully waterproof.

I don't doubt it - they're very well put together, with rubberised armour which is pleasant to the touch.

I could, if I was being hyper-critical, mention that by shining a light into the objectives I can see a bit of dust on one of the internal glass elements, but it isn't visible in use, and the internals look very clean and tidy otherwise, with the barrels painted matt black to suppress unwanted reflections.

I think that the best thing I can say about these binoculars is that although I was out today ostensibly to take photographs, I found myself looking for excuses to get these binoculars out of the bag - my Leicas are always in the bag with my camera, but they didn't see daylight today...

I had a great time using these things, and I am so impressed (you can tell, I guess!). If I was heading out for a day and accidentally picked these up instead of the Leicas, I can honestly say that I wouldn't feel bad about it at all - and I love my Leicas.

You owe it to yourself to buy a pair of these binoculars.

Last edited:
... without wanting to say 'I told you so....."

Unfortunately 7dayshop's range is currently very much reduced compared to what they had to offer a year or so ago when they also offered some cracking porros at similarly daft prices.

All of which begs the question - if they can do it for this kind of money, then why are top brands charging, not tens but hundreds of times more for bins, which in reality offer only a minor increase in performance? Tempting to conclude, it's simply because they know very well that the market will stand these prices.....

Have you posted your review on 7dayshop's site?

Happy (cheap) birding!

John

Hi John,

yeah I know you've got a high opinion of these bins.

I thought they warranted a more detailed review, which I wouldnt have bothered my backside about if they weren't worth it.

I have indeed posted this up, but it must have to be agreed before it appears, so it hasn't shown up yet.

Good question about wht the top name bins are so much more costly: complicated issue, to be sure - but I'm willing to speculate that you're at least partly right!

;)

Keith Reeder said:
Hi John,

yeah I know you've got a high opinion of these bins.

I thought they warranted a more detailed review, which I wouldnt have bothered my backside about if they weren't worth it.

I have indeed posted this up, but it must have to be agreed before it appears, so it hasn't shown up yet.

Good question about wht the top name bins are so much more costly: complicated issue, to be sure - but I'm willing to speculate that you're at least partly right!

;)
They're the same bins that were labelled Eyetx that they sold previously, and I agree, are well worth the money. I've been using them for over two years now and last year I bought 2 more of the 7dayshop labelled ones for the car and the kitchen, and they are just as good. I can confirm they are waterproof after sliding down a muddy bank into a river with them underneath me. I had to wash the mud out of them.
The 10x42 non waterproof arn't too bad, but they have the rubber "rolldown" eyecups and focussing is a bit more fiddley. I only use those as a last resort.

Alan

Just took delivery of the 10x42 waterproofs from 7dayshop on Keiths recomendations. I am staggered at the image quality for £17.99. Build quality also seems good. I have a pair of 8x42 that cost more than £200 ten years ago and I would say that the 7dayshop bins are better. For anyone on a tight budget or if you need a second pair for keeping in the car these are a great buy.

Keith Reeder said:

You owe it to yourself to buy a pair of these binoculars.
We bought a pair for my nephew at Christmas and, yes, they are surprisingly good. But... not compared with a Leica. They are less bright, less sharp, less contrasty and less wide...

As you'd expect of course. Still - they are the bin to buy for a youngster in my view.

scampo said:
We bought a pair for my nephew at Christmas and, yes, they are surprisingly good. But... not compared with a Leica. They are less bright, less sharp, less contrasty and less wide...

As you'd expect of course. Still - they are the bin to buy for a youngster in my view.
Has anybody compared these with the Nikon Monarch 10x42?Thinking of buying these Nikons,but in field conditions,apart from the close focus and Nikon logo am I wasting around £200?

Hi Moorsider,

I got a pair of these 10x42's a couple of weeks ago and was very pleasantly surprised....although I haven't tried the Nikons, I really don't think that 'blowing' £17.99 on the 7dayshop bins would be a big mistake.....might end up saving you £180!!

If you still hankered after the Nikons, the 'cheapos' would make a great second/spare pair.

Cheers,

Mook

Forgot to add, London Camera Exchange flog these bins (branded Arena) for £49.99.....and they say that's half normal price!

Last edited:
Moorsider said:
Has anybody compared these with the Nikon Monarch 10x42?Thinking of buying these Nikons,but in field conditions,apart from the close focus and Nikon logo am I wasting around £200?
You'll never waste money buying Nikons, I'm sure. I think Warehouse Express still have Nikon Sporters at a bargain price - have you thought of those?

Thanks Keith,

I have just ordered a pair, whilst I continue to save up for some proper bins.

LCE sell them under the Arena brand name at half price, £49.99 !!!!!!!!!!!

ATB,

Nigel.

El CID said:
Has anyone compared the 7Dayshop 10 x 42's with the Bresser 10 x 50's which will be on sale at Lidl on Monday 24th

I bought a pair of the Bresser's for my son and they are excellent for the price. Yes they are big and bulky but they are quite comfortable to hold and the image appears to be very bright and sharp. A good buy for £14.99.

The 7Dayshop bins have not arrived yet so I can't compare them.

Nigel.

El CID said:
Has anyone compared the 7Dayshop 10 x 42's with the Bresser 10 x 50's which will be on sale at Lidl on Monday 24th

I have a pair of both the Lidl Bresser's and Meade's (Bresser has pull up eyecups) and would be surprised if the 7 day shop roofs are optically as good mainly due to the fact that the Bresser/Meade's imho are better than most lower-mid price roofs i have had a look through
They also compare well with my Nikon E11 and SE only suffering in lower light due to coatings ,slight reflections and overall build quality

That said the 7 day 10 x 42's have rave reviews from people with knowledge and have roof ergonomics with waterproofing comfort
I cant imagine they are phase coated at the very low price but optics sometimes surprise us and all to the good when budget prices allow newcomers to start out
I suspect for roof "fans" this is a bargain and at £17.99 must be worth a venture whether as spares or intro

Regards
Rich T

scampo said:
You'll never waste money buying Nikons, I'm sure. I think Warehouse Express still have Nikon Sporters at a bargain price - have you thought of those?

I have the cheap ones and the Nikons and I honestly can’t see much of a difference. The cheap ones are actually lighter, more comfortable to hold and waterproof as apposed to the heavier water resistant Nikons so actually I’d say the cheap ones win.

unless you are some kind of label freak and are thinking about these 2 pairs given the choice again I’d just go straight for the cheap ones (unless you don’t like 10x that is)

Steve

richt said:
I have a pair of both the Lidl Bresser's and Meade's (Bresser has pull up eyecups) and would be surprised if the 7 day shop roofs are optically as good mainly due to the fact that the Bresser/Meade's imho are better than most lower-mid price roofs i have had a look through

I have the Meade 10x50's and the 7 day shop ones. 7 day shop 10x42 are better, plus they are waterproof apparently. They are rubber armoured and sit nice in the hand - much smaller and lighter than my 8.5 EL's. Even comes with a floating strap !

Linz

I've had a pair of the 7dayshop 10x42s for about 3 weeks and I don't think you can go wrong for the money. They far exceeded my expectations, the only disappointment being the close focus distance but hey!! £17.99 just the job for a tight old git like me.

griffin said:
I have the Meade 10x50's and the 7 day shop ones. 7 day shop 10x42 are better

That's good. I was starting to worry about the suggestion that the Meades are better than the 7day shop ones. I've got a pair of the Meades - they're crap. I can't even be bothered to waste time detailing why.

martin

martin kitching said:
That's good. I was starting to worry about the suggestion that the Meades are better than the 7day shop ones. I've got a pair of the Meades - they're crap. I can't even be bothered to waste time detailing why.

martin

Hi Martin

I think your experience with the Meade bins is different to others but perhaps it goes to show how at low price points sample variation is high

I have honestly compared both the Bresser and Meade version to very high quality porro's i own (Nikon and Zeiss) and though they are not as good the margin of difference is nowhere near what would be theoretically expected and i was hoping for a much more evident difference
I suppose human nature being to justify my own purchases
I did search through a good number of the Bresser's at Lidl before buying as they vary in build quality and focus etc
From others comments the 7 day roofs sound like a cracking bargain

Regards
Rich

The 7dayshop bins arrived today. My first impressions are very good. Easy to use and sharp. OK they don't compare to top of the range bins from Leica, Swaro or Zeiss (which I tested at the weekend) but they are about 50 time cheaper.

Well worth it. Thanks again keith for pointing them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back