• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 800mm in development (1 Viewer)

Wow, what a lens!

So all you budding Artie Morris types, just wait for the second-hand market to flood with 500 & 600 f/4's....

Stuart

Nevermind the debates about how to carry the 500mm, not to mention the 600mm, this beast will require a horse and cart, im sure! ;)

Smart looking lens.

Nice to see the 800mm job will have IS but with a lens that big I am thinking about the law of diminishing returns...oh sod it I want one! I also want the 200mm job too for kingfishers.

Didn't they do a 200mm F1.8 some time ago - what happened to that?

No sign of any lumps of 'DO' in either lens. I would have thought it might make its way into the 200mm, though it would be less useful in the 800mm as it would still be a huge lens anyway.

Didn't they do a 200mm F1.8 some time ago - what happened to that?

The 200 f1.8 went out of production about 6 years ago, apparently it was a stunning lens though I've never tried one myself. The 200 f2 with IS should be an amazing lens for low light work, though clearly it's more aimed at indoor sports shooters than those going for birds.

Presumably the 800 f5.6 won't be much bigger than the 600 f4 (it is basically this lens with a 1.4x bolted on the back!).

If the 800mm was an f4 then might I raise my eyebrows a little, as its a new development optimised for digital sensors it has a slightly different grouping/arrangement to the current super-tele crop; It would be interesting to know what the minimum focus distance is; but the longer the lens, the more wobbly air there is between you and the subject!

If the 800mm was an f4 then might I raise my eyebrows a little, as its a new development optimised for digital sensors it has a slightly different grouping/arrangement to the current super-tele crop; It would be interesting to know what the minimum focus distance is; but the longer the lens, the more wobbly air there is between you and the subject!
I have seen a close-up image of the switches and it looks as if the mfd is 6m.

Last edited:

looking at the image the web it seems that the MFD for the 800mm will be 6m... so not too much more than the 600mm.

EDIT - curse my slow typing... beaten to it.

I was told a long time ago by the "Canon" rep that their 100 times TV zoom lenses (available to special order) cost £96,000 + VAT so this one won't be cheap!

It won't be the first Canon 800/5.6 and the old Nikon 800/5.6 used to be quite popular with bird photographers.
It's likely to be a touch longer than the 600/4, so anyone who travels by air and likes to take their gear in the cabin, you may have a problem. I don't think it will be a huge price compared to a 600/4.
Personally not tempted, 600 + 1.4x (840mmm @f5.6) is good enough for me. A 300-800 f5.6 zoom would've been interesting though ;)

I carry my 600mm f4 in a soft canvas bag for plane travel and I believe it just fits into the official dimensions for a carry-on bag, and so those thinking of doing this with an 800mm might have a problem. Personally I'd love one but since I've already spent way too much on the 600mm, I certainly won't be getting one!

The really exciting thing is this will create some new discussion:

1) 600 f4 + 1.4X or 800 f5.6

2) 800 + 1.4X with taped pins performance.

I can hardly wait!

Nevermind the debates about how to carry the 500mm, not to mention the 600mm, this beast will require a horse and cart, im sure! ;)

Smart looking lens.

Haha! True. Im betting this is going to be over 8 grand (us dollars). It says the optical rateing is better than the 600mm. NICE!!! :eek!: :loveme:

Canon press release on the page linked to in post 1:

The EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM, expected to deliver telephoto performance surpassing the current top-of-the-line EF600mm f/4L IS USM super telephoto lens...

I was expecting to buy one just about as soon as I heard about it. But are they serious? 6 metre MFD? That's just about a deal-breaker for me.

Until I read that, I had been pondering the better quality pictures I get with the 500/4 alone as compared to the same lens with a 1.4 or 2X teleconverter. The Canon converters are great, but there is a difference; not so much with the image quality per se, which holds up remarkably well even with the 2X, but with the look of the out of focus background. The bare 500 is much nicer than either my 100-400 or the 500 with converter, so much so that I've taken to using just the bare lens a lot more lately and accepting that I'll have to crop.

Sure: there are several factors to ponder here: with the 500 alone you are at f/4 instead of 5.6 (or 8), and you tend to be a little closer to the bird, but in the end I've decided that I could live with an f/5.6 maximum if that was going to give me that fantastic "bare glass" quality I get from the 500/4. After all, the 500/4 plus 1.4 TC is already f/5.6, so what have I got to lose (except money)?

But at 6m MFD, I'd have to have a close-up ring on it all the time if it's going to be any good for small birds, and that means the lens is useless for more distant shots of larger things unless you buggerise about taking the rings of and putting them on again.

Looks as though my credit card is going back into my pocket after all. Big mistake, Canon. Very disappointed.

Hi Tannin,

is it not possible (I don't know, hence the question) that it's simply the physics of the thing - as opposed to a poor design decision - that results in the 6m MFD?

Last edited:
Hi Tannin,

is it not possible (I don't know, hence the question) that it's simply the physics of the thing - as opposed to a poor design decision - that results in the 6m MFD?

Could be - Sigma are no strangers to making very close-focussing teles but their 800mm only goes to 7m

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back