• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood pigeon with a problem - any tips? (1 Viewer)

This chap has a problem which seems to be getting worse. I don't think he can fly any more, but he walks around garden and visits the feeders. First thoughts were that this was a tumour of his chest - but I really don't know. Any advice gratefully received

Attachments

• Woody.jpg
    Woody.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 98
Looks like he's had his chest scalped.....sparrowhawk perhaps?

I would just continue feeding and keep fingers crossed he recovers.

Many thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about a sparrowhawk scalping, I must admit. We've had one unsuccessful attempt at catching today (he just scuttled off into the undergrowth!) - but may reconsider that tomorrow.

For the last 3 days he's been feeding off the ground under the feeders, but today he did manage to make it up to the lowest feeder. He does looks increasingly 'lumpy' around his lower chest.

I'll see if I can refine my hunting skills tomorrow

Attachments

• Woody02a.jpg
    Woody02a.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Woody02b.jpg
    Woody02b.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back