• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

Penrith

Drake Mandarin on the pond behind Rickerbys, on the Gilwilly Industrial Estate.

Attachments

• Mandarin3.jpg
    Mandarin3.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Mandarins Thacka Pond

Hi! Steve,
Thanks for your directions went this morning and was lucky in fact very lucky we found two drake Mandarins on the pond, one Mandarin proved very elusive but the other was more obliging, the elusive Mandarin came out of the reeds and swam behind the other drake Mandarin before disappearing again gave up the search for the elusive bird after 30 mins.
Ian Carswell

Attachments

• PB200105.jpg
    PB200105.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 48
Hi! Steve,
Thanks for your directions went this morning and was lucky in fact very lucky we found two drake Mandarins on the pond, one Mandarin proved very elusive but the other was more obliging, the elusive Mandarin came out of the reeds and swam behind the other drake Mandarin before disappearing again gave up the search for the elusive bird after 30 mins.
Ian Carswell

You're welcome Ian - glad you found the birds. BTW, it was me that you and Dave were talking to as you were leaving. Shortly after you left I met up with another chap, Roy, and we both searched for another hour or so, but found nothing other than the Mallards :-C

I actually registered with the Yahoo cumbrian birders group,but received so many downloads,that I promptly cancelled,sorry to the mod who did accept my application,it just seemed to be somewhat complicated.
Yes,re the Kendal contingent,I have met the aforesaid in our local hide,they seemed more interested in their sarnies,and flasks and only wanted to see a rareity(misspelt!!!).I fiercely defend our local reserve,we have little or no input from the RSPB,they are only interested in Leighton Moss,as it is a money spinner,but we have twice the no of visiting species,as they have,but no protection is provided for the Terns etc.
Yes,South Copeland misses out all round.
Thanks all,I feel so much better now .
Hi, I am fairly new to birdwatching and towards the end of the summer we had a little wander down the South Copeland area. I had no idea there was a hide. Please can you give me directions to it or a map reference? I'm sure it would encourage us to have another little outing given a fine day.
I am learning quite a bit just reading these local threads.
Thanks.

Starlings

Starling roost at Clifton Dykes, NY541278, has better numbers of birds than last year. Hard to put an accurate figure on it, but 200,000 would be in the right area I think. Great aerobatic displays this evening from about 3.45 to 4.15. Well worth a look. Also in attendance were one Peregrine, and at least three Sparrowhawks. No photos, but I'll try and get some next time we have a clear, bright evening.

Steve.

Snow buntings

Anthorn/River wampool.An unusually large flock of snow buntings, 30+,this afternoon on edge of marsh adjacent to the old airfield. Feeding on seeds on grass tufts on taking root at the edge of the sand/mud.

Last edited:
Hi, I am fairly new to birdwatching and towards the end of the summer we had a little wander down the South Copeland area. I had no idea there was a hide. Please can you give me directions to it or a map reference? I'm sure it would encourage us to have another little outing given a fine day.
I am learning quite a bit just reading these local threads.
Thanks.
Hi there is a hide at Haverigg,opposite the lighthouse,along the sea defences,part of the Hodbarrow RSPB reserve.But you may see more species by walking along the sea wall and gorse patches adjacent to the reserve.
Hope this helps,
Christine

Hi-newbie-for anyone interested,I parked at top of Brentfield Way in Penrith today(just past the cut) & 50 yds away flock of circa 50-60 Waxwings-when I went back to my car at 2-30pm,circa 125-150 Waxwings-very vocal!

Brambling at Talkin Tarn

Huge flock of Brambling and Chaffinch at Talkin Tarn yesterday,22nd. Too many to count, but estimate would be several hundred of each. Were feeding mainly on the beech mast in area to east of coffee shop. Fantastic colours in Brambling, male and female.

Starlings

Popped down to Clifton Dykes as the evening looked reasonable for photographing the Starlings. Too much cloud on the horizon still, but got some OK shots:

Attachments

• DSC01114a.jpg
    DSC01114a.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC01204.JPG
    DSC01204.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC01236a.jpg
    DSC01236a.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01281a.jpg
    DSC01281a.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 55
Just a quick mention to my fellow Cumbrian birders,none of whom I have ever met,(perhaps one or two),tommorrow ,at 2-30pm I go to the Beacon in Whitehaven to receive my award,and in Mondays paper(the Star!!!) there will be an article,have done this re the phone!!!.so,hopefully South Cumbria will be on the map,and a plug in general for our beautiful county.wish me luck,as I am really apprehensive.!!!

Just a quick mention to my fellow Cumbrian birders,none of whom I have ever met,(perhaps one or two),tommorrow ,at 2-30pm I go to the Beacon in Whitehaven to receive my award,and in Mondays paper(the Star!!!) there will be an article,have done this re the phone!!!.so,hopefully South Cumbria will be on the map,and a plug in general for our beautiful county.wish me luck,as I am really apprehensive.!!!

fantastic..well done Christine

Thanks Craig.The photo printed onto a large blockboard,looks absolutely stunning.Everyone was very friendly,and we just escaped the snow,it is now snowing heavily!!!!

Thanks Craig.The photo printed onto a large blockboard,looks absolutely stunning.Everyone was very friendly,and we just escaped the snow,it is now snowing heavily!!!!

just seen your wounderful picture on Facebook christine and the pic of yourself...great Swan pic very atmospheric deserved winner..

2 years on the trott isnt it christine?

Last edited:
Thanks Steve and Craig.There is another posting in another paper,and next week again in the whitehaven news.I will see if i can find the link from the North Star paper-I think.
I am really fed up at the moment,this gorgeous sunshine,no rain,no wind,but,due to icy pavements etc,I am CTB,most unfair.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back