• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 055Nat or 190Nat??? (1 Viewer)

I think, Robert, that the 055 is 500g heavier than the 190/290 - which is pretty much the difference between the 128RC and 700RC heads. So... change the head and you won't notice the weight.

scampo said:
I think, Robert, that the 055 is 500g heavier than the 190/290 - which is pretty much the difference between the 128RC and 700RC heads. So... change the head and you won't notice the weight.

Steve, for the moment, I have a 128 on the 055 with the intention to have the sturdiest set-up for those windy situations. On the 290 I use a Novoflex DinO, which is about the same weight as the 700. That 700 is much cheaper than the Novoflex, but it was not available at the time when I needed a lighter head. And I was not too convinced about the 200 because it has no locking feature.

Mostly, however, I now use the Velbon Sherpa Pro 6400 carbon-fibre tripod I bought about a year ago (with the Novoflex head taken from the 290). I am not too happy with its locking mechanisms and with the position of the ring that tightens the center column, though. But once it is set up, it is a fine and very light-weight tripod. And the weight factor without losing stability is what is most important to me at present.
Robert

Last edited:
It surprises me to read (and learn from owning a 700RC) that it seems whatever the price, the goods are perhaps not quite up to scratch. The 700RC has a rather weak mechanism to tension the pan / tilt mechanism, for example.

I have to say that I am a little disappointed at Manfrotto - having never owned one before and having held them in such high esteem for so very many years.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back