• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Metabones Qu - Canon EF to MFT T Smart Adapter (1 Viewer)

rka

ttbirds
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering many options for my next camera/lens purchase.

I'm evaluating:

MFT Body + Panasonic 100-400

versus

MFT Body + Panasonic 100-300 Mkii

versus

MFT Body + Metabones T Smart Adapter + Canon EF 400mm / 5.6​

For the MFT Body, I'll start with the original OM-D E-M5 and then either go with the Panasonic G85 or GH4 or GH5 after about 3 months.

Appreciate any feedback on the 3 combinations mentioned regarding comparative image quality and autofocus speed (assuming modern MFT body).

Unless you are cash challenged, item 1 should be way better than 2. I cannot comment on item 3.

Regarding camera body, I have not seen enough to say which is superior with a PanaLeica 100-400: GH5 vs Em1-ii

Niels

Unless you are cash challenged, item 1 should be way better than 2. I cannot comment on item 3.

Regarding camera body, I have not seen enough to say which is superior with a PanaLeica 100-400: GH5 vs Em1-ii

Niels

Cash challenged but took the plunge on the 100-400. Bread and peanut butter for the rest of the year.

I use the 100-400 on the GX8 but sometimes i use it on the EM10MK11,on the EM CAF is a no go but SAF is very quick and accurate.

Panny 100-400mm with Original OM-D E-M5

Om OM-D E-M5 i

Pleasantly surprised as very good SAF performance.

CAF is very bad as expected but that's the camera's shortcoming.

Very heavy if accustomed to 100-300. Worse yet if accustomed to bridge camera FZ300.

Much sharper compared to 100-300.

Think I will stick with my OM-D E-M5 i for a while longer.

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering many options for my next camera/lens purchase.

I'm evaluating:

MFT Body + Panasonic 100-400

versus

MFT Body + Panasonic 100-300 Mkii

versus

MFT Body + Metabones T Smart Adapter + Canon EF 400mm / 5.6​

For the MFT Body, I'll start with the original OM-D E-M5 and then either go with the Panasonic G85 or GH4 or GH5 after about 3 months.

Appreciate any feedback on the 3 combinations mentioned regarding comparative image quality and autofocus speed (assuming modern MFT body).

The more I read new reviews, the G85 with 100-400mm lens seems a really good still pic kit.

Its coming together for me with the G80/85,much better than the GX8 dont know why though.

G80 100-400 400mm cropped

Attachments

• P1020859.jpg
    P1020859.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 238
Nice shot. Looked at the pics in another discussion and really promising.

I think the GH4 and GH5 are too costly for stills mainly. The Oly M1-ii is really nice but also costly and the pdaf isn't performing as well as one may expect.

G85 seems the best value for stills. If only the CAF was better as a couple reviews show AF is slow and a bit inaccurate for video.

Will wait for a few more reviews but likely the G85 is the next camera for me.

Its coming together for me with the G80/85,much better than the GX8 dont know why though.

G80 100-400 400mm cropped

I can add a little to the Metabones info.

Metabones Speed Booster Ultra - Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds.

I bought one of these so I can fit my Canon EF lenses to my OMD mkII 600 F4 mkII 400 F4 mkII 100/400 mkII 24/105 and 85F 1.8

All fit and all AF but quite slow on the first 3 but the last 2 are acceptable IQ is great on all lenses CAF is a no it might get there in the end but most times it just racks back and forth .

In all cases AF speed is no way near the 300f4 pro, for me it will have limited use but does allow me to use my glass on my OMD mkII.

Rob.

I can add a little to the Metabones info.

Metabones Speed Booster Ultra - Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds.

I bought one of these so I can fit my Canon EF lenses to my OMD mkII 600 F4 mkII 400 F4 mkII 100/400 mkII 24/105 and 85F 1.8

All fit and all AF but quite slow on the first 3 but the last 2 are acceptable IQ is great on all lenses CAF is a no it might get there in the end but most times it just racks back and forth .

In all cases AF speed is no way near the 300f4 pro, for me it will have limited use but does allow me to use my glass on my OMD mkII.

Rob.
Hi Rob,
Did I get it right that you are using the "Speed Booster" variant of the metabones adapter? (The thread started with the "Smart Adapter")
I.e. this one (with the 0.71x focal reducer): http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-M43-BT4
Not this one: http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2

Any particular reason for this? Do you prefer speed over reach?

This one http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-M43-BT4 . I have only tried it in the garden once ,IQ is very good with all my canon lenses ,the extra stop of light means I can use a lower ISO so you gain a little reach being able to crop a little more anyway.
That said I do like the 300f4 pro and with the silent shutter in genral birds come closer anyway
Rob.
Hi Rob,

Hi Rob,

I'm using the Smart Adapter (http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2) and the Canon EF 400/5.6 often coupled with the 1.4x extender. Highly portable and able to hand-held shoot at 560mm is really useful.

With the E-M1 I get some inconsistent focus accuracy though, so to be on the safe side I usually shoot a sequence of 4-5, this way at least one frame will have focus spot on.

AF accuracy and AF acquisition has significantly improved with the Mark2, for all non-m43 lenses.

Yes these Adapter's do have a roll to play and its nice to be able to use my EF lenses on my Olympus mkII if I want too .
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back