• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (4 Viewers)

An excellent drawing. I have to say I find the original drawing more pleasing than the coloured version, the starlings are so rich in texture creating an interest all of its own that the addition of colour has started a battle for attention, I don't know if lightening the background could work better. Just my opinion, in any case an excellent drawing full of observation and I like the fact that one of the starlings 'isn't playing ball' and is completely ignoring the fact that he's having his picture taken.

Just commented on the b/w version in 'Sketchathon' and I have to agree with Nick about the coloured version. If I may suggest something here, Arthur?
Take a huge blob of white acrylic and, by adding a dab of prussian blue and a hint of burnt sienna, make a juicy, lively grey and paint over the green with it (but, please keep it pale). I remember getting almost identical advice from a much valued and very talented friend when I made almost exactly the same chromalogical statement as you have here.
I didn't want to do it, but was persuaded to and the change was for the better. The artwork is just too good to be blinded by the green. (in my opinion).

LOL Tim love your use of the word juicy and lively. I dont think you could sell the idea better than that! ;) Beautiful sketches Arthur, cracking detail, well done.

Thankyou all always open to advice. not so green as the picture now.Ime still on that tight learning curve. all three together to see my mistake the transformation .cheers Tim & Nick.

Attachments

• Starl 1.jpg
    Starl 1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Starl 2.jpg
    Starl 2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Starl 3.jpg
    Starl 3.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 76
Good advice, well taken and well executed has resulted in a cracking little picture, well done Arthur.

I've been watching 'my' starlings quite closely of late and they relly are lovely looking birds when you take the time to see.

Woody

a bit more , trouble with the masking fluid. Had to switch to acrylic.

Hello there- I remembered you reporting a masking issue with this one and just thought I might check in for advice from all. What's does the team think the best technique for masking out small waders whilst painting a background? Is there one sort of masking fluid that works better than another? I've hopefully got a watercolour on the go with some plovers scattered about some dark mud and thought I might have shot at masking them out, so I can take the big stick to the mud...

Ed, I used to use Winsor and Newton maskig fluid, which worked fine as long as it's used on dry paper and removed when the watercolour is dry. To be honest, I hate masking fluid, it ruins brushes and smells like toilets, so I've phased it out of my technique, but sometimes I regret not using it more.

Ive never really found the use of masking fluid necessary as results can be very hit and miss. It may make washes easier but the end product can sometimes look somewhat clipped and gappy. My advice would be to use it very sparingly. As Nick says it is better to develop a technique where you can do with out it.

Hello there- I remembered you reporting a masking issue with this one and just thought I might check in for advice from all. What's does the team think the best technique for masking out small waders whilst painting a background? Is there one sort of masking fluid that works better than another? I've hopefully got a watercolour on the go with some plovers scattered about some dark mud and thought I might have shot at masking them out, so I can take the big stick to the mud...
Hi Ed,
The problem I had it was old fluid and wouldnt set so I was left with a tacky mess to get off ,no hope of water colour covering. I use a masking fluid pen no brush. MAKE SURE ITS FRESH AND ALWAYS TRY IT ON YOUR SURFACE YOUR USING FIRST.

Good advice, well taken and well executed has resulted in a cracking little picture, well done Arthur.

I've been watching 'my' starlings quite closely of late and they relly are lovely looking birds when you take the time to see.

Woody

Thanks Woody, How did the preveiw go all sold I hope .

Arthur - these are something else! I have a huge confession to make and it's one that isn't easy. The first work you posted, I thought it interesting and entertaining, always with a quirky little twist which I found almost amusing. I thought your work was good and I enjoyed looking at it.
Now I realise how wrong I was - I now know your work has something of the magical; something I can't quite define but there is an essence of pure joy in the subjects you choose and the way you portray them.
Oh boy, can you draw! but perhaps more importantly, you really do make your birds come alive. These drawings have affirmed what I have been thinking for some time now, and that is that you have a wonderful touch - truly excellent.
Anyone wishing to make an artistic representation of a beloved thing could do a lot worse than observe, and learn from, your work.
These are animated, characterful and beautifully observed -
Really well f*cking done!!!!!
Bravo,.

to echo Tim's comment, Arthur, your work seems to be ever more intimate with your subjects, some of the first few pictures I saw didn't have this for me (maybe if I look again, it may be there, maybe it's a feeling that I've developed since becoming more familiar with your work) but your pictures now always put a smile on my face, a smile that I imagine you had drawing them. Talking very inarticulately as I am unreasonably sober for a Friday evening, but I think I can be understood. In any case, I'm loving these starlings!

I thankyou both very much for your kind words, I do enjoy drawing and I am still trying to master the painting bit hopefully it will come in time.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back