• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepieces:Zoom or fixed for newby. (1 Viewer)

BarryH

As a wildlife photographer, I'm looking for my first scope to help locate subjects.

Can anyone please advise if I would be better off with a zoom or fixed eyepiece?

Personally I don't see a telescope being of any benefit to wildlife photography unless your digiscoping.
A pair of binoculars or monoculars would suffice, IMO.

If you would only be using the scope for locating birds I would suggest you try out a few eyepieces with a wide field of view especialy if you are a beginner. As Steven Astley said binoculars would suffice, say a pair of 8x42s.

How long is the focal length of the camera you are using?

As 400mm ~ 8x a set of bins might be a good option for under 1000mm FL cameras for bird spotting. In fact all the photographers I've noticed around the Pacific NW tend to cary a set of 8x32 or 10x32 (keep the weight down).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back