• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Evolution of terrestrial birds (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Ericson (in press). Evolution of terrestrial birds in three continents: biogeography and parallel radiations. J Biogeogr. [SMNH]
Abstract

The aim was to reconstruct the biogeographical history of a large clade of mainly terrestrially adapted birds (coraciiform and piciform birds, owls, diurnal raptors, New World vultures, trogons, mousebirds, cuckoo-rollers, seriemas, parrots and passerines) to test the hypothesis of its Gondwanan origin. The phylogenetic tree used in the analysis was a family-level tree estimated from previously published nuclear DNA sequence data. Each family for which a thorough and taxonomically well-sampled phylogenetic analysis exists was subject to an initial dispersal—vicariance analysis in order to reconstruct ancestral areas for its two most basal lineages. Both basal lineages were then used to represent the family in the subsequent reconstruction of ancestral distributions for the entire radiation.

The analysis showed that three reciprocally monophyletic groups of terrestrial birds have diversified in the Gondwanan land areas Australia, South America and Africa, respectively. Although each of these three groups originally also may have included other groups, the only survivors today from the Australian radiation are the passerines and parrots, while the falcon and seriemas have survived from the South American radiation. The group of survivors from the African radiation is considerably more taxonomically diverse and includes all coraciiform and piciform birds, owls, diurnal raptors (except falcons), New World vultures, trogons, mousebirds and cuckoo-rollers. The outlined evolutionary scenario with three geographically isolated clades of terrestrial birds is consistent with the available estimates of Late Cretaceous to early Palaeogene datings of these radiations. The diversifications and ecological adaptations within each of the three groups most likely took place in isolation on the different continents. Many cases of convergently evolved adaptations may be revealed through the increased understanding of the phylogenetic relationships of terrestrial birds.

Last edited:
It may be a silly question, but would mammals also show a similar success for clades that originate in Africa? If you look at "typical" Australian and South American mammals, they have not had much success outside their continents. They are of course even less likely to disperse over water...

Elephants are the only Afrotheres (the clade of mammals that evolved in Africa) that have had widespread success, although the (likely anthropogenic) end Pleistocene extinction severely reduced their diversity.

Other Afrotheres include Hyraxes, Aardvarks, Golden Moles, Tenrecs, Otter Shrews, and Sirenians.

Morgan, how about hominids? Isn't that a pretty successful group of mammals coming out of Africa ;)

Niels

Didn't the Laurasiatheres descend from mammals which colonized from Africa, though, prior to the separation of those two major groups?

So w/ both birds & mammals seeming to originate in Gondwana (or at least their most basal surviving groups), was pretty much everything in the northern continental mass wiped out?

I would think that Antarctica plays a larger role in avian evolution than what this study seems to imply. Certainly, passerines and parrots managed to reach South America through Antarctica from Australia (or perhaps Antarctica may have been a nucleus for these groups?). I believe Africa was the first of the southern continents to split off from Antarctica. Would explain why Africa is so species poor when it comes to parrots, while both South America and Australia are comparatively species rich. Would also explain why both South America and Australia have a predisposition of having "old" passerine families (suboscines in South America, lyrebirds/honeyeaters/fairy-wrens, etc in Australia) that form a large percentage of their passerine diversity.

I would think that the parrots and suboscine (woodcreepers, antbirds, tyrannid flycatchers, etc) passerines in South America are very old radiations. The tanagers, warblers, icterids, etc most likely arrived later.

Carlos

Primates only reached Africa in the Late Eocene (off the top of my head). So while they were successful on the continent, they are not native. My understanding is that Laurasiatheria evolved in the Northern Hemisphere, and there are critters close to primates, carnivores and glires (the rodent/rabbit group) at least present in Asia and North America before the KT extinction.

Bear in mind that that the ecology of small mammals and birds is pretty different. Mammals are probably predisposed to better weather an asteroid strike, which because of circulation patterns might not have caused as much trouble for austral birds as for northern species. Also neornith birds would have faced competition from the enantiornith birds, which seemed to perhaps be the dominant northern hemisphere bird group.

I also found the tree for Tyto (s8) interesting: I do not think I have seen this topology before with Tyto alba in three deep clades and Tyto soumagnei interwoven.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back