• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Video Tape (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hallo,

mini Tape for camcorder has different price level.
Last weekend I found 5 tape package for 60 minutes each for 12 Euro.
But they also sell one tape ( Sony ) for 9 Euro.
How is the big difference to explain, how big is the difference in quality ?
I have camcorder Sony HC-DCR 1000 ( 3CCD ).

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter,

If you are talking about miniDV tape, you should not expect to see a difference in quality between tapes, as the signal is recorded digitally. As long as you do not get dropouts, the replayed signal will be exactly the same.

However, some people say you should not switch between tape manufacturers because differences in tape lubrication formulas can clog up the camcorder transports. You can read more about this here and make up your own mind. I have always used Panasonic and had no trouble.

This does not apply to VHS and analogue formats like Hi8 etc

Hi Dieter
There's not much to choose from with any of the MDV tapes.
I always use Panasonic and stick with them. It's not a good idea to swap brands as some are 'wet' and others are 'dry'. If you do change, then it's a good idea to run a cleaner tape over your heads for 3 or 4 seconds before swapping back.
Retail prices are sometimes a bit of a rip-off, as all the top brands can be bought off e-bay for a fraction of the retail price.
I have tried Panasonic Professional, and although you get a couple of extra minutes, I can't see what the difference is, although I dare say the manufacturers would say different.
Dropout can be a problem. The worst tapes I've used for dropout were Maxell, it drove me crazy, that's when I changed to Panasonic.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back