• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Gitzo Tripod and Head (1 Viewer)

Art Thorn said:
So, for future reference, when you want that BIGGER lens...

I'm going to be doing some 'creative juggling' of funds just to buy the tripod so that BIGGER lens will have to wait until I've sold about 1,000 photos @ £5 a time... ;)

Hi Adey

Following on from Art's post, I have been using a Manfrotto 128RC head (on 055 legs) for nearly 10 years, mainly for a scope (and digiscoping). Having recently purchased a DSLR + 400mm f5.6 I was pleased that the head works well with the camera - I remove the handle and have the friction set to allow free, smooth movement, but still hold steady if I let go of the camera. I find the friction control knobs are easy to find and use, without having to look, and both can be adjusted without moving your hand. It is also perfect for use with my scope (Leica APO 77)!

The downside of this head is the lack of sliding qr, so it is not possible to get perfect balance with the camera or when digiscoping. For the 400mm this is not a problem, even with a 2x conv, I just have to remember to tighten up a bit! I have seen people with a sliding qr attached to the head's standard qr plate.

I think the 128RC is very reasonably priced (£59), although maybe not such a bargain if you have to buy a sliding qr as well...

Cheers

Mark.

Thanks Mark

I noticed in this week's 'Amateur Photographer' that Gitzo have announced a new range of carbon fibre tripods called 6x to replace the 0, 1 and 2 Mountaineer series - about 30% lighter than the previous models - so that's another variable to consider!

mw_aurora said:
So have you made your mind up yet?

No!

That bit about 'when funds allow' from the first post still applies!(there's always something else that comes along and demands your money :eek!: ) And I'd like to see what the 6x series is like - if nothing else, it may mean some bargain 1227 legs around!

Some 6X info

Greetings - I discovered your post while searching Carbon 6X on google and thought I'd offer you some insight into Carbon 6X vs. existing Gitzo CF tubes.

The tubes of the Gitzo Carbon 6X tripods are 30% lighter, however, the overall tripod weight is 17% less - they still use the same magnesium settings and stainless steel hardware. A G1227 weighs 3.4 lbs. and the updated version, G1257 weighs 3.1 lbs. Both support 17.6 lbs. Carbon 6X is made with 6 multilayer threads vs. 3 layers in the existing CF. Gitzo has reduced the overall thickness of the leg tube sections from 1.5 mm to 1 mm, which makes the tube sections 30% lighter while maintaining the same strength.

Other changes include removeable feet that can be replaced with spikes or snow shoes (series 2 only) and a retractable hook in the center column (the G1227 has a fixed hook).

The biggest change is the leg locks - the new Carbon 6X features ALR (anti-leg rotation) - a feature that Gitzo first introduced on basalt tripods last year. It makes opening/closing the tripod a bit quicker and smoother.

At the end of the day, the G1227 is still an excellent tripod. There is NO advantage in performance with the new series - only weight savings and an the new leg locking system. Carbon 6X will be approximately 5% more in price (U.S. only - I don't know about international prices).

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
David Fisher
Product Manager
Bogen Imaging US - Gitzo Brand

Many thanks, David.

I've just seen the prices on the Warehouse Express website and the 1257 price is very similar to 1227 - not enough to worry about either way.

They expect delivery in November.

As I'm not getting any younger any saving in weight will be useful and I think I've decided on the G1257 legs together with the fluid head

Adey Baker said:
I've just seen the prices on the Warehouse Express website and the 1257 price is very similar to 1227 - not enough to worry about either way.

Well, they seem to have revised the prices upwards a bit - I might look for a 1227 after all |=(|

Just to bring this thread up to date, I finally went for a 1227 from Warehouse Express - they've dropped the price and thrown in a ball head free. The head's not the ideal one for all purposes but it will certainly keep me going for now and when I want a pan head with handle my old Velbon one will fit, anyway.

For telescope use the legs extended but centre column fully down seem to be about the ideal height for my (nearly!) 6ft height.

Update?

Hi Adey,

Just been looking for info on tripods - I wondered how are you finding your new Gitzo, particularly for telescope use?

CHeers,

Saddinall

Adey Baker said:
Just to bring this thread up to date, I finally went for a 1227 from Warehouse Express - they've dropped the price and thrown in a ball head free. The head's not the ideal one for all purposes but it will certainly keep me going for now and when I want a pan head with handle my old Velbon one will fit, anyway.

For telescope use the legs extended but centre column fully down seem to be about the ideal height for my (nearly!) 6ft height.

saddinall said:
Hi Adey,

Just been looking for info on tripods - I wondered how are you finding your new Gitzo, particularly for telescope use?

CHeers,

Saddinall

(Got your PM,by the way)

It's fine - the twist action leg-locks are very good when you get used to them and they're less prone to picking up 'debris' along the way! I've still not bought a fluid head but for telescoping purposes the old single-action head from my previous Velbon has been more than adequate.

I'm about 6' tall and the legs extended and centre column down are about the ideal height for my angled scope.

There's no 'sloppiness' about it - the legs are quite stiff to open out and extending them makes a sound similar to that you used to get with those draw-tube Optolyth telescopes! The set-up is nice and rigid when fully extended with minimal twisting, flexing, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back