• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

APO 62 or APO 77 for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

mark b

I have a Leica APO 62 televid scope and use the coolpix 4500 and attatch it via a eagle eye adapter, I get some great pictures for a novice but I wonder how much better they would be if I had the APO 77, would the cost of changing the scope and extra weight be worth the slight improvement in picture quality??

any advice would be welcome.

Mark

While I'm not sure that I would recommend upgrading from the 62 to the 77, I do think that the 77 is the better of the two scopes, both for watching and digiscoping. I have owned both scopes and used both for digiscoping, I found that I got much better shots with the 77, the larger objective really does help. If I was getting a new scope I'd be very happy with an APO77, but would not even consider going back to the 62.

Best advice is to find a store with the APO77 in stock, take your APO62 and camera along and try them out side by side. Only you will be able to decide if it's worth the money and extra weight.

Thanks for the advice, you have said everything I had already thought, why wouldn't you upgrade to a 77 if the 77 is a better alround scope?

Mark

mark b said:
Thanks for the advice, you have said everything I had already thought, why wouldn't you upgrade to a 77 if the 77 is a better alround scope?

Mark

Hi Mark

If you were starting out and did not already have a scope I'd certainly recommend the 77 over the 62, especially with digiscoping in mind. However upgrading is a whole different thing, while I think it's worth it, you might well not.

One big plus if you do decide to change is that APO62s (especially angled ones) are hard to get hold of new, and have been for months, so sell very well secondhand. At the same time the APO77 seems to be lossing popularity so it's possible to pick them up at good prices secondhand.

But as I said make sure you try it for yourself and see if the 77 is better for you.

Hi
Thanks again for the reply, I am looking to do more and more digiscoping in the future and can't help thinking that with better equipment I could get better results, To throw another scenario into the mix what about selling my angled APO 62 complete with both zoom and fixed eyepiece etc and going for the Swarovski ATS80HD?? I know the swarovski is alot more money but it looks a bit easier to use with the DC? adapter and is apparently the most used scope for digiscoping, I saw someone in a hide use this combo and he was attatching quicker and easier than I was.
I do really like the leica but want an all round scope to do the best job.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi Mark

In my opinion (and it is only an opinion) the only scope better than the Leica APO77 is the Swarovski 80HD - both the DCA and the DCB are very well designed and very easy to use. Some people find that the twin focus system on the Leica is better for digiscoping than the barrel focus on the Swaro. Both the Leica and the Swaro are excellent scopes and I'm sure you'd be very happy with either. Personally I switched from Leica to Swarovski earlier this year (though I still far prefer Leica bins) and am very happy with my new scope.

As I've said the best bet is to go somewheer and try all the options for yourself - a good retailer should be happy to let you spend hours trying these scopes, both for viewing and digiscoping. If you do change your scope it will be a big expense, so you want to make sure you get it right.

mark b said:
I have a Leica APO 62 televid scope and use the coolpix 4500 and attatch it via a eagle eye adapter, I get some great pictures for a novice but I wonder how much better they would be if I had the APO 77, would the cost of changing the scope and extra weight be worth the slight improvement in picture quality??

Mark
The Apo77 is a much larger and heavier piece of kit. I'd doubt the quality improvements you would obtain would be worthwhile, myself, although I have no direct experience as others here have.

The 77mm should technically be a bit sharper, probably, and a fair bit brighter (which the eye can't really tell but the photo-sensitive device in the camera can).

I'm pretty sure I've seen some amazing shots in the gallery taken using 60-65mm scopes, so I doubt just changing to a full size scope is the answer.

Last edited:
scampo said:
The Apo77 is a much larger and heavier piece of kit. I'd doubt the quality imporvements you would obtain would be worthwhile, myself, although I have no direct experience as others here have.

The 77mm should technically be a bit sharper, probably, and a fair bit brighter (which the eye can't really tell but the photo-sensitive device in the camera can).

I'm pretty sure I've seen some amazing shots in the gallery taken using 60-65mm scopes, so I doubt just changing to a full size scope is the answer.
As part of my 'new scope research' I looked at Richard Bledsoe's photo gallery which contains a lot of APO62 shots (until around a year ago), and they were simply fabulous. BUT he's based in the USA (where the sun always shines?) and was of the opinion that a larger objective scope would be more useful. An opinion that I've now come to realise, having looked through a lot of scopes since including the APO62 which I considered (I'm now getting a Nikon ED82)

Steve Jones said:
As part of my 'new scope research' I looked at Richard Bledsoe's photo gallery which contains a lot of APO62 shots (until around a year ago), and they were simply fabulous. BUT he's based in the USA (where the sun always shines?) and was of the opinion that a larger objective scope would be more useful. An opinion that I've now come to realise, having looked through a lot of scopes since including the APO62 which I considered (I'm now getting a Nikon ED82)
I doubt we take many shots in poor light, though, Steve. A bright day will always be best for digiscoping as the shutter speed will be much better and light levels, by the time the light has travelled its circuitous route through the scope and onto the film plane, are rather low at best. I don't know how much light is lost from 77 to 62mm, but I suspect no more than a stop.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

In this case it is not a matter of brightness, it is a matter of power. The zoom eyepiece is 16-48x on the 62mm scope and 20-60x on the 77mm scope - the exit pupils (=brightness) are the same. In digiscoping the zoom works best at its lowest power, which means that to get similar brightness/pictures using a smaller scope you have to get correspondingly closer to the target. If you crank up the zoom, the exit pupil and eye relief get smaller. You get 0.4-1.0 f-stop faster speeds at the same power with larger scopes depending on the setup - and IMO this does help reducing the risk of blurred pictures. I have also often praised the 77mm Leica APO Televid for digiscoping.

But having said this, I am not sure I could recommend upgrading from a state-of-art compact scope to a larger, heavier and older design. I personally would upgrade the camera first ;). Maybe you could wait for one more year for that rumoured new Leica.

Best of luck, :t:

Ilkka

mark b said:

Mark
The Leica 77 APO is a fantastic scope see my gallery for digiscope shots. I'm selling the whole digi-scoping kit for £800 as I have now gone completely Digital SLR
Scope is in mint condition with 20-60 eye peice and I am also throwing in the coolpix 995 adapter and stay on case.

iporali said:
Hi Mark,

In this case it is not a matter of brightness, it is a matter of power. The zoom eyepiece is 16-48x on the 62mm scope and 20-60x on the 77mm scope - the exit pupils (=brightness) are the same. In digiscoping the zoom works best at its lowest power, which means that to get similar brightness/pictures using a smaller scope you have to get correspondingly closer to the target. If you crank up the zoom, the exit pupil and eye relief get smaller. You get 0.4-1.0 f-stop faster speeds at the same power with larger scopes depending on the setup - and IMO this does help reducing the risk of blurred pictures. I have also often praised the 77mm Leica APO Televid for digiscoping.

But having said this, I am not sure I could recommend upgrading from a state-of-art compact scope to a larger, heavier and older design. I personally would upgrade the camera first ;). Maybe you could wait for one more year for that rumoured new Leica.

Best of luck, :t:

Ilkka
I would say the lower magnification on the 62mm would be a boon for digiscoping, too.

As I have both Leicas (and both Swarovkis) I like the Apo62 the most. I like it's small size and weight and the stellar results. The 77 is much heavier and bigger but in most cases I'm not missing the extra brightness it provides (I'm living in a very sunny country).
The Swaros are a hair sharper but have a hint of CA - the Leicas are the opposite. A bit USM in PS reveals the hidden sharpness and maintains CA free images.
Recently I've added to my collection the Leica SLR adapter. This made a real difference between the two scopes - there's ~640mm focal length on my D200 with the Apo62 and 800mm with the Apo77. For SLR it's a lot, for P&S cameras the difference in practice is marginal.

Steve Jones said:

Richard is one of the best digiscopers there is. It is more down to him and his skill and ability making use of the equipment rather the 'what' equipment he uses. Either that or he's sold his soul..........! o:)

I feel qualified to answer your question as I have a 77 Apo and HAD a 62 Apo. I got far better results in UK with the bigger scope, no doubt. I use 20x on the zoom and disagree with Scampo in that 62mm is better for digiscoping - maybe for bigger subjects and where you are close, but for small passerines 20x ( on a 77 ) is better, even when "close".

I now use a DSLR but have to say that some of my best pics are digiscoped esp. Crossbills which is my thing. The DSLR is easier to use though....see the bird, 'shoot' the bird ! My Gallery is no longer here but will be on my website soon.

Go for the Apo 77, it is a cracking scope, amazing optical quality. Oh, and I believe mine has gone up in value as have my Swaro Bins - could sell them now and make money ( ish ), certainly not lose it !

Hope this helps,

Linz

griffin said:
Richard is one of the best digiscopers there is. It is more down to him and his skill and ability making use of the equipment rather the 'what' equipment he uses. Either that or he's sold his soul..........! o:)

I feel qualified to answer your question as I have a 77 Apo and HAD a 62 Apo. I got far better results in UK with the bigger scope, no doubt. I use 20x on the zoom and disagree with Scampo in that 62mm is better for digiscoping - maybe for bigger subjects and where you are close, but for small passerines 20x ( on a 77 ) is better, even when "close".

I now use a DSLR but have to say that some of my best pics are digiscoped esp. Crossbills which is my thing. The DSLR is easier to use though....see the bird, 'shoot' the bird ! My Gallery is no longer here but will be on my website soon.

Go for the Apo 77, it is a cracking scope, amazing optical quality. Oh, and I believe mine has gone up in value as have my Swaro Bins - could sell them now and make money ( ish ), certainly not lose it !

Hope this helps,

Linz
Experience counts, Linz - I'm in agreement with you on second thoughts. That said, the smaller magnification is a definite advantage for beginner's digiscoping, perhaps. Shots of small passerines are very difficult at the best of times and for a beginner I reckon the slightly lower magnification is useful.

The APO77 is a heavyweight bit of kit though. I think the Zeiss a better choice - but that's a matter of taste.

advice on adapter

griffin said:

Hope this helps,

Linz

I would welcome your advice on what adapter to use for coupling the Leica APO 77 with Canon EOS 350D.

payara

payara said:
I would welcome your advice on what adapter to use for coupling the Leica APO 77 with Canon EOS 350D.

payara

I don't use the D70s on the Leica I am afraid, use a 200-500 Tamron.

Linz

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back