• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

Rose-coloured Starling(Sturnus roseus)

Having had a look at this bird in failing light yesterday evening I decided it was well worth the effort to get up and go first thing this morning before work.
The last time I saw one in adult plumage was way back in 1983 at market Deeping Lincolnshire. Major.

Attachments

• Rose-coloured-Starling..jpg
    Rose-coloured-Starling..jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 684
Having had a look at this bird in failing light yesterday evening I decided it was well worth the effort to get up and go first thing this morning before work.
The last time I saw one in adult plumage was way back in 1983 at market Deeping Lincolnshire. Major.

Beautiful photo :)

Stunning photograph - 'early bird catches the worm':t:

No sign of the Rose-coloured Starling this evening after 5.30pm when it was seen to fly into the large tree. Also no sign of the Roller when I searched this evening, but weather rubbish and foggy. My hunch is that its still there. Wonderful views of 3 Nightjars though:t:

I only wish I could get to that starling before work, but not really enough time.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Couple more of the very showy starling from this morning.
What a great bird to start the day with.

Attachments

• IMG_2578 edit.jpg
    IMG_2578 edit.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2594 edit.jpg
    IMG_2594 edit.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 194
Titchwell June 21st

Today’s highlights

Little gull – 13 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 4 on fresh marsh
Knot – 2000 roosting on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 1 on Patsy’s reedbed

Paul

Time to name and shame!

Waiting patiently for the Rosy Pastor (much nicer name than RCS!) to show this afternoon at a sensible distance when the three muppets in the foreground arrived and decided they needed to be five yards closer than everyone else.
A polite request to stand a bit further back was met by a mumble from one of aforementioned than 'there hadn't been a problem earlier in the week' and they all stayed put. Felt especially sorry for the responsible birders who had been waiting for a couple of hours for the bird to come down to the bird bath only to find that when it did, one of the muppets quickly tried to reposition and the bird bolted back into the tree as a result.
I'm fortunate to have many contacts around the county and can say that more and more are getting thoroughly p*ssed off with the attitude of (mainly, but not exclusively) so called 'photographers' with all the gear but no f******g idea who despite £5K of equipment aren't happy unless they can shove their lens up the birds arse. As a result more and more birds are going to be either suppressed or else just shared with people who can be relied upon to act responsibly.
Apologies for the tone of the post but after initially missing the Roller and being told by two independent birders that it had been 'flushed by a photographer' and then 'it's being chased around by a photographer' it's time to say enough is enough.

PS: This isn't aimed at responsible photographers - there are some about, one of whom was kind enough to provide the people who's garden the bird is in with a framed print.
PPS: If there is a collection on site tomorrow (RNLI?) please give generously.

Mick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 763
Time to name and shame!

Waiting patiently for the Rosy Pastor (much nicer name than RCS!) to show this afternoon at a sensible distance when the three muppets in the foreground arrived and decided they needed to be five yards closer than everyone else.
A polite request to stand a bit further back was met by a mumble from one of aforementioned than 'there hadn't been a problem earlier in the week' and they all stayed put. Felt especially sorry for the responsible birders who had been waiting for a couple of hours for the bird to come down to the bird bath only to find that when it did, one of the muppets quickly tried to reposition and the bird bolted back into the tree as a result.
I'm fortunate to have many contacts around the county and can say that more and more are getting thoroughly p*ssed off with the attitude of (mainly, but not exclusively) so called 'photographers' with all the gear but no f******g idea who despite £5K of equipment aren't happy unless they can shove their lens up the birds arse. As a result more and more birds are going to be either suppressed or else just shared with people who can be relied upon to act responsibly.
Apologies for the tone of the post but after initially missing the Roller and being told by two independent birders that it had been 'flushed by a photographer' and then 'it's being chased around by a photographer' it's time to say enough is enough.

PS: This isn't aimed at responsible photographers - there are some about, one of whom was kind enough to provide the people who's garden the bird is in with a framed print.

Mick

Those lads are so well camouflaged I'm surprised the bird saw them ;)

Jim.

Time to name and shame!

Mick

Well said Mick, wholeheartedly support your sentiments. We have all suffered at the hands of similar 'muppets'.

Remember, the bigger the lens, the bigger the............

Well said Mick.Finally somebody has had the b***s to say what most of us think!You echo most genuine birder's views. I have been living in Norfolk since 1984 & have twitched all over the country & birded all over the World. In recent years I have given up twitching because of the stress caused by the bad behaviour of so called birders who have no idea of field craft whatsoever. The noise levels in hides is enough to frighten off any bird - the machine gun noise of the cameras the size of dustbins is just as bad. I have seen sown fields being trampled with no consideration for the farmers whose land they trespass on & people being abused for asking people to behave correctly.We have all heard about Schedule 1 breeding birds being disturbed by birders/photographers in the last few weeks. I for one will happily suppress a rare bird to all but a few people that I can trust. I wish to continue living in my village & don't want to be hounded out because of bad behaviour.
Mick I hope that plenty of other genuine birders see your mail & that they will make their feelings known. I hope that the photo of the muppets (I can think of a better name) will be named.

Chris

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back