• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.4 and 2x extenders (1 Viewer)

kriskent said:
Does the canon 1.4x and 2x extenders retain AF on 300 2.8IS and 500 4IS?

thanks
I have been thinking along similar lines, comparing 300 f2.8 vs 400 f4. I already have a 70-200 f2.8 which I bought for other purposes, and converted cheaply for birds by adding a 2x extender.

It's not the lens that controls AF, it is the body. Whether you retain AF depends on the body you are using. Each body has a maximum lens greatest aperture up to which it can AF properly.

For 300d / 350d / 20d / 30d that is f5.6. Will the lens / TC combination open up to f5.6 ?

For the 1d variants, I believe that aperture is f8.

I don't know about 10d or 5d.

A 1.4 extender reduces your maximum aperture by one stop :
F2.8 lenses become f4.
F4 lenses become f5.6.

Both lenses listed should AF properly on any of the bodies I have defined.

A 2x extender reduces your maximum aperture by two stops :
F2.8 lenses become f5.6.
F4 lenses become f8.

So, an f4 lens cannot be expected to AF properly except on a 1d variant. However, the 500 lens with 2x extender is really a tripod job, so AF might not be such a critical requirement.

I say "AF properly" because some AF can be achieved by taping pins. I think some of the cheaper extenders can AF to a degree without taping pins.

My choice ? The 300 f2.8 gets rave reviews, the 400 f4 reviews are "just" highly recommended. I don't really have much need for 300mm, so it should be 400 mm. I would expect either to be more influenced by my inadequacies than the minor differences in glass. A 1.4 extender reviews much better than a 2x ... However, I might be influenced by what comes up second hand. I have seen rave reviews for the 500 mm too - in comparison to the 600 mm. Whatever, if you intend to use extenders, get good glass !

A 400 mm f2.8 is definitely out - ££££s ! and kgs :) I have a fair bit of saving to do even for one of the above.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back