• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RAW to JPG (1 Viewer)

andrew_chick

Lincolnshire Birder
I have started experimenting taking images in RAW format. I can view the RAW images in the software supplied by the camera (Cannon), and I can ‘Transfer to Photoshop’ and view in Photoshop. However, when I try to save the images I only have Tiff, Raw, PNG and Photoshop file options – NO jpg. If I try saving for the web, I get a message telling me that this function wasn’t design for images this big (see attachment) – but lets me save it has a .jpg image anyway. If I want to save my image as a .jpg and keep it as big as possible, what is the best way?

Attachments

• ps_message.jpg
    ps_message.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 100
andrew_chick said:
I have started experimenting taking images in RAW format. I can view the RAW images in the software supplied by the camera (Cannon), and I can ‘Transfer to Photoshop’ and view in Photoshop. However, when I try to save the images I only have Tiff, Raw, PNG and Photoshop file options – NO jpg. If I try saving for the web, I get a message telling me that this function wasn’t design for images this big (see attachment) – but lets me save it has a .jpg image anyway. If I want to save my image as a .jpg and keep it as big as possible, what is the best way?

Andrew, you need to convert to an 8 bit image to save as a jpg. The size of the jpg depends on the compression factor that you use, for the highest quality use the least compression.

Last edited:
Roy C said:
Andrew, you need to convert to an 8 bit image to save as a jpg. The size of the jpg depends on the compression factor that you use, for the highest quality use the least compression.

How? (Sorry to be so ignorant)
Sue

Sue under the mode menu you'll find the 16 bit ticked, just tick the 8 bit and when you go to save as you'll find that jpeg and a few others will be available, mode is above the adjustments menu under the image drop down list
Steve

Andrew,

If you intend to file and save your images, always save as tiff. Have a hi-res and low res version.

For the web, reduce your image to the size to view, then at same size reduce your resolution to 72 pixel/inch, then save in jpeg RGB mode, medium – high will do.

pe'rigin said:
Andrew,

If you intend to file and save your images, always save as tiff. Have a hi-res and low res version.

For the web, reduce your image to the size to view, then at same size reduce your resolution to 72 pixel/inch, then save in jpeg RGB mode, medium – high will do.

Andrew, go to \Image\Mode\8-bit/channel and click on that. You'll then be able to save as a JPG. I've found that a compression size 8 will yield images w/ very little loss of resolution. Good luck!

Jerry

Duke Leto said:
Sue under the mode menu you'll find the 16 bit ticked, just tick the 8 bit and when you go to save as you'll find that jpeg and a few others will be available, mode is above the adjustments menu under the image drop down list
Steve

Thanks Steve, I will give this a go when I am next out with my camera.
Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back