• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

This is surly not a Kestrel (Upperparts dark brownish, not orange-brown, tail too short with no black terminal band, white cheeks,...)! Everything points towards 1st year Peregrine (although size is difficult to asess; a Merlin should show e.g. a weaker moustachial stripe and darker cheeks).

Greets
Tom

Grey head clearly differentiated from a rusty brown back also on my monitor, also a typical Falco shape, therefore Falco tinnunculus, Kestrel.

Compared to the bush it sits in, I also get the impression it is not a big bird- the bush looks as if it is Sambucus nigra(Elderberry in english I think, Schwarzer Holunder in German)

The bird shows a clear moustachial stripe - so (abeit other features) no Sparrowhawk! It is much too bulky and compact for a Common Kestrel (this species shows a much longer tail
Compare this Kestrel
http://www.waarneming.nl/fotos/204809.1.jpg

with this

Peregrine (sadly there is an adult bird depicted)
http://www.pbase.com/arieouwerkerk/image/47825416

and our bird in the forum!
Head is same colour (or even darker) than back in Peregrine well shown in Dieters picture! Juvenile Peregrines show a warmer brownish cast on the upperparts (caused by warmer brown fringes to the scapulars, back, mantle, wing coverts) as shown on the pictures of Pekka Komi
http://www.tarsiger.com/index.php

This IS a juvenile Pererine!!!
Greets
Tom

I have shown Dieters picture to other birders (there are a quite of lot of them here - including Klaus Malling Olsen :) and people from local rarities committees - they also identified the bird as "a large falcon" or more detailed as Peregrine (maybe of northeastern origin (calidus), because of the large pale area on cheeks and the relatively thin moustachial stripe). There is no orange on the non-patterned upperparts; the upperparts including head are too dark and the head is proportionally thicker as well as the bird in general is too fat for a Kestrel!
SORRY FOR THE KESTREL-LEAGUE - THIS BIRD REMAINS A PEREGRINE!
If you do not believe me please write to Dick Forsman...

Best wishes
Tom

If that's true Tom, then Dick Forsman's guide to raptor ID is off my christmas list.
Albatross02, you have 9 votes for kestrel vs. 1 for peregrine, why don't you make up your own mind.

It's not a great picture so maybe it's hard (even for Dick Forsman) to be sure. It 'feels' like a Kestrel to me though. If you don't believe then you can, err, well, do what you like I suppose.

James Lowther said:
Too reddy-brown backed, grey headed and grey-tailed for a peregrine...
surely?......

no James

have a good objective look

I'll guarantee that's a Peregrine - the colours are made slightly weird by the branches in front - it's actually a rather dark bird. Way too robust and short tailed. Colours can look weird - structure is pretty much a constant.

Tim

Tim has a point about the apparent brown colouration on the mantle. Once you realise that this comes from the branches not the bird it really changes your perspective. Not sure I've ever seen a Peregrine in a tree though.

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back