• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Feeder Idea and Advice wanted (1 Viewer)

jcris25

I am getting ready to make a new feeder. I am going to buy a large post from a hardware store and a large planter pot as well. I am going to put the post in the pot obviously but I am wondering what type of rock would allow a more stable post or maybe soil or mulch so I can plant some things in the bottom. This will be a simple design yet effective. I will buy some large screws I can hang my feeders from probably put a bird house on top. What would be a good bird house entrance hole size to allow both winter or spring birds to nest in. You never know how long it will take to get one nesting but I wanna be safe and get a entrance hole size that doesn't discriminate.

The size of box and its entrance hole would be related to the species of birds you have in your area and which of those you want to be nesting. Most people would of course aim for a struggling native species over starlings or whatever.

Whatever size hole you choose, be sure to shield it against the gnawing of predators who will want to get in and eat the contents. Since you're in the USA, you have easy access to these specially made 'portal protectors,' they're very attractive as well as quite effective. Or as when I was a kid you can use tin can lids, of course being careful to remove all sharp edges.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67399&cat=1,250,43298

Bonus Canadian site!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67399&cat=1,250,43298

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back