• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

planning on buying my first scope, HELP!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

buddhabrooke

thanks a lot guys for making me feel part of it.
Planning on buying my first scope, wondering what advice people can give,
quite like the new opticron travelscope, would this be any good for digiscoping?. anyhoo any recommendations would be braw, dont have a massive budget, about £500-600 for scope and lens. something not to big as i,m out and about a lot, the more discreet the better.

best wishes steve

I haven't tried it out but I'd say the new Opticron GS52 ED discussed here could well fit the bill.... http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=147883 Even if you subsequently get a bigger, better scope it would continue to serve as a great travelscope. Having ED glass means it should pass muster for digiscoping, and Opticron after-sales is superb as I have found on several occasions.

Obviously a bigger scope has its advantages in lower light and for higher magnification, but on your budget I would say better to get a high-quality small scope than a medium-quality larger scope.

I don't think there's any other ED scope where you could get the whole set-up (you'll need a tripod, carry strap, stay-on case etc.) for your budget. If you were to buy a non-ED 65mm scope as I did you'd find yourself wanting to upgrade sooner as I did.

Had this been around when I bought my Nikon ED50 I'd have saved a few quid by buying the GS52 as the eyepieces are interchangeable (and more comfortable to use) with my 80mm Opticron ED body.

Graham

Hi Steve,
I used to own the Opticron GS665 Ed and SDL zoom. An excellent scope. Lightweight and fairly small.
You can get it from a place called Celtic Vision (I did a quick google) for £579.
I'm in no way linked to this shop by the way.
If you feel you prefer the compactness of the 52mm version- I tried this in a shop a few weeks back. Its also excellent. I tried it on a sunny day so I can't say whether it has enough light gathering for dawn/dusk or those short dark winter days that are looming.
If light gathering is important then I think the 665 is the better choice.
If size and weight are paramount then the 52 is the better choice.
Personally I would go for the 665 as a general birding scope. I never had any trouble carrying it around all day long and it had enough light gathering power for me and I am often out there at dawn and dusk.
I don't do digiscoping so can't comment much. Surely you need as much light gathering as possible for this?

Have fun whatever you buy,
Martin.

thanks a lot guys for making me feel part of it.
Planning on buying my first scope, wondering what advice people can give,
quite like the new opticron travelscope, would this be any good for digiscoping?. anyhoo any recommendations would be braw, dont have a massive budget, about £500-600 for scope and lens. something not to big as i,m out and about a lot, the more discreet the better.

best wishes steve

Hello!
In your price range you may have a
Spektiv ZEISS Diascope 65 T*
ausgest. mit Okular 23× Vergrößerung.
FL Geradeeinblick
599,- Euro
Don't think twice. There's nothing better out there, and not even anything that can seriously compete at this price. :t:

Tom

Hello!
In your price range you may have a
Spektiv ZEISS Diascope 65 T*
ausgest. mit Okular 23× Vergrößerung.
FL Geradeeinblick
599,- Euro
Don't think twice. There's nothing better out there, and not even anything that can seriously compete at this price. :t:
Tom

That is exactly the combination I have used for the past 4 years and I am "wunschlos glücklich" (perfectly satisfied).
That price though is fantastic - is it new? Current list price is around €1800, although the excellent 23x eyepiece is unfortunately no longer in production.
Strange isn't it that outstanding products like this, the old 15x60 Zeiss BGATs, Nikon EIIs and SEs never sold well.

John

That's an absolute steal and I'd agree it trumps my recommendation. I'm afraid I can't read German. Is it straight only or is it available angled?

I can't find anyone selling them in the UK for under £1000 with eyepiece, e.g. http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Zeiss_Diascope_65_T_FL_Angled

Graham

Hello!
It#s the straight version in combination with the 23x eyepiece which is not in the catalogue anymore. And it has not got the LotuTec coating.
The optical quality, though, is impeccable: :t:

I got one myself for a slightly higher price some time ago and never regretted it. With a 50% discount I can live without Lotutec. The protrusible sun shade is a good shield.
Cheers, Tom

If you can't get the Zeiss [and for that price, I'm tempted!], try the Nikon ED50. Portable, discrete, and probably the best pound for pound piece of optics going.

[[Waits for the Zen Mob to come baying for his blood! ;) ]]

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back