• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geese, Eden estuary, Scotland 14/3/14 (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
Had a large flock of Pink Footed Geese pass through the Eden estuary this afternoon, so when I saw these three later on from a distance I assumed they would be the same. Looking at the photo on the camera the bird on the right didn't look much like a Pinkie with the bill looking orange rather than pink. Unfortunately they had disappeared when I next had a clear view over the river as I had tried to get a little closer along the shoreline behind cover.

The other photos in the sequence only show the underside of the bills as they appear to have been drinking, (the heads are tilted back and pointed directly towards the camera), though the legs of the left hand bird do appear to be orange rather than pink in the one shot that shows more than a minimal amount.

Bean Geese?

EDIT: Having now had a better look at other photos from this afternoon, for some reason the bills on at least some of the other geese look pale orange more than pink on the photos. I suspect that it is down to the auto white balance settings and the actual lighting causing this effect on the photos. The legs don't appear to be a strong enough orange either for Bean Goose, so I think it is the case that these are actually Pink Footed Geese too, rather than Bean Goose.

Attachments

• DSC_9638 20140314_171203 .jpg
    DSC_9638 20140314_171203 .jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back