• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Diascope 85 for astronomy. (1 Viewer)

Hello Paul,

I have used it to look at Jupiter and Saturn with the 30x eyepiece. Without an equatorial mount, its use is rather limited. Saturn's rings were clearly visible, that was two years, ago. Titan was easily spotted when it was visible.
The moons of Jupiter were much better separated than with my binoculars, especially when a moon was close to the planet. Bands were visible but I do not recall seeing the red spot. Again, this was two years, ago, and observations were made in the very light polluted skies of Manhattan.

Happy observing,
Arthur Pinewood

Hello,
Anyone have tried this scope for astronomy observations?If so, with which eyepiece? ...and results?
I've used a Meade 4.3mm astro eyepiece with an adapter. It gives 107X. I only used it for looking at Saturn (ring clearly visible) and the moon - fantastic. Expensive at £180, but it is also surprisingly useful as a terrestrial eyepiece as well, even when conditions are not particularly bright. I do a lot of distant observations from a hide.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back