• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From an amateur scope user.... (1 Viewer)

Woo

Amateur but enthusiastic wildlife watcher
I have been using an Optricon for the last 2 years but have been offered a 6month old Zeiss 85 straight diascope for £500. Am I getting a bargain ? How different is using a straight one to an angled one (which Im quite comfortable with) ? I know nothing about Zeiss scopes so also want to know the best camera for digiscoping with a Zeiss 85. Many thanks in anticipation |;|

I have been using an Optricon for the last 2 years but have been offered a 6month old Zeiss 85 straight diascope for £500. Am I getting a bargain ? How different is using a straight one to an angled one (which Im quite comfortable with) ? I know nothing about Zeiss scopes so also want to know the best camera for digiscoping with a Zeiss 85. Many thanks in anticipation |;|

£500 for a 6month old Zeiss 85 is crazy! If it's a real offer check it's not damaged or not stolen goods. As far as which is the best camera I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer. Do you intend using an adapter? My mate and I both have angled Zeiss 85's and digiscope simply by holding the camera to the lens. Both our camera's are not cutting edge but I doubt we get results any worse than anyone else. It's a matter seeing what's on offer and seeing if you can get it to work for you really.

been offered a 6month old Zeiss 85 straight diascope for £500. Am I getting a bargain ?

How different is using a straight one to an angled one

£500 is a good price if the scope is in good order. Does this include an eyepiece? If so then even better; if not, then budget at least another £150+ for one.

Straight scopes are best if you expect to be viewing mainly from hides or a car, but if you view in the open using a tripod, and particularly if viewing upwards into trees or cliffs, then angled would probably be better for you.

Last edited:
thanks for your replies. How easy is it to use a camera on a straight scope ?

thanks for your replies. How easy is it to use a camera on a straight scope ?

Zeiss make a designated compact digi-camera adapter for the scope, but its not cheap - around £250 if I remember correctly.

Ease of use again comes down to where you are positioned. Using an angled scope in a hide can be awkward, but trying to use a straight scope to photograph a Perigrine high on a cliff face can be just as bad.

It's 'horses for courses'.

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to meet with the seller next week for a test run.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back