• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about FOV of various zooms? (1 Viewer)

If Baader and Henry differ, trust Henry ;).

ERs measured by Henry:
Swaro 20x-16mm, 30x-12mm, 40x-10mm, 60x-14mm
Nikon 20x-12mm, 30x-8mm, 40x-8mm, 60x-12mm
Zeiss 20x-12mm, 30x-10mm, 40x-8mm, 60x-12mm
Baader 20x-11mm, 30x-9mm, 40x-9mm, 60x-12mm

The new 25-50x zoom(s) have better ER at the ends than the old Swaro (the Leica version even more so), but especially in between - and that is what makes them unique. The Zeiss or Baader are OK for people who don't wear glasses, but their ER is almost as short as that of Nikon's. I don't necessarily need +18mm ER over the entire zoom range, but I would like to have at least 14mm at 30-40x (measured from the rim of the eyecup).

Ilkka

Sancho,

My guess is that you already know that the FOV of the zoom eyepiece on the Zeiss 65 at 15x blows away all the zoom and fixed eyepieces from Kowa, Nikon, Leica, and Swarovski.

Mike

According to Eagle Optics, Zeiss Diascope Vario 15-45x Eyepiece (65mm) has FOV of 168-78 feet/1000 yards (65mm).

The Kowa fixed 20x Eyepiece (66mm) has FOV of 173 feet/1000 yards, while the Kowa fixed 45x Eyepiece (66mm) has FOV of 73 feet/1000 yards. However, the Kowa zoom 20x-60x Eyepiece (66mm) has 99-73 feet/1000 yards.

...Bob
Kentucky

I am curious now. Which way are you leaning? Towards a 65 or an 80-something?

Henry,

Do you have any experience with the Williams Optics zooms or their clones? They have better listed eye relief specs but with a slightly narrower listed field of view (66 vs 68 degrees on the high end if I remember what I read correctly.

I am curious now. Which way are you leaning? Towards a 65 or an 80-something?

Henry,

Do you have any experience with the Williams Optics zooms or their clones? They have better listed eye relief specs but with a slightly narrower listed field of view (66 vs 68 degrees on the high end if I remember what I read correctly.

Whoops! I forgot to mention that I trust FrankD too!!!;) I think I´m leaning towards 80-85mm, I know I started thinking about 65mm, but what the hell, might as well swallow the whole hog. Currently in my (very confused) head, there´s a Zeiss Diascope 85mm, with either the Zeiss or BH zoom on it. But my head is a very chaotic place, tomorrow I might actually go birding...;)

BobinKy,

Thanks. Missed the Kowa fixed 20x.

Mike
I just made a snap decision and ordered a load of kit. OMG!:eek!: When it comes I´ll post my non-expert opinions. Then I´ll have to sell everything I own.....;) Thanks for all the really interesting advice, folks, it all helped guide me in a particular direction that would never have occurred to me.

Why do I get the feeling that you have done this type of cliffhanger before?

;)

I eagerly await hearing of your choice, whatever it is, and your impressions of it.

Hmm, Kowa 883?

Why do I get the feeling that you have done this type of cliffhanger before?

;)

I eagerly await hearing of your choice, whatever it is, and your impressions of it.

Hmm, Kowa 883?
Not the Kowa, Frank....I´ve taken your advice and plumped for the Zeiss with BH zoom. A goodly BF member PM´d me with a great deal on a secondhand 85mm!!!

LOL!!!:-O I know, I know, this is going to take some explaining......

Ok, now you have me curious again. Is the BH zoom readily available in your neck of the woods? They are entirely out of stock at every internet merchant I have had the opportunity to find. Delivery date is reportedly the end of this month.

Well, for what it is worth, I ordered one of the WO zoom clones to see how it compares for $150 plus shipping I am not complaining. I will have to wait on the Baader for a few weeks.

It´s a real shame (well at least for me) that Nikon never joined the race to produce wider-FOV zooms said:
I agree, it is a shame. I have ED82 with 30xDS but I am thinking of selling it and trying something else. I really miss having a zoom but I can't get on with Nikon zooms really narrow fov. I can't decide what to try instead though, because when I look through the ED82 the view is fantastic.

Ok, now you have me curious again. Is the BH zoom readily available in your neck of the woods? They are entirely out of stock at every internet merchant I have had the opportunity to find. Delivery date is reportedly the end of this month.

Well, for what it is worth, I ordered one of the WO zoom clones to see how it compares for $150 plus shipping I am not complaining. I will have to wait on the Baader for a few weeks.

I´ve ordered it from an outfit in England called Modern Astronomy. Priced at 189 sterling, in stock. Wooo-hoooo! I´ll let you know how I get on with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back