• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mulepack vs Scopac for carrying spotting scope/tripod (1 Viewer)

digiscope09

Hello

Anyone done a comparison between the above two options for carrying spotting scope/tripod combo. Online photos appear to be very similar but I am wondering about shoulder padding, ease of use etc. An earlier thread indicated one member was going to compare but I have been unable to make contact.

Finno

I have the scopac and am a big fan, after years of one-shoulder tripod carrying it's a major benefit for me. I can quite happily carry the scope all day without any shoulder pain.
One of my friends has the mule and he found that it wasn't stable enough in use, it tended to slip down a bit which annoyed him, I've not had that happen with the scopac so far.

mulepack vs scopac

I have the scopac and am a big fan, after years of one-shoulder tripod carrying it's a major benefit for me. I can quite happily carry the scope all day without any shoulder pain.
One of my friends has the mule and he found that it wasn't stable enough in use, it tended to slip down a bit which annoyed him, I've not had that happen with the scopac so far.

Thanks for responses.

finno

Thanks for responses.

finno

I have the Scopac and it is very good. It came with a clip on bag as an option to put bits and pieces in which I fould very useful. Also side pocket for a drinks bottle. I can cart my Swaro scope and tripod quite easily for long periods with it. Sometimes I leave tripod legs extended for ease of set up in case I need to set up quickly, but that does introduce its own hazards! Clips and buckles can be a bit of a pain if you want to take head+column out for clamping to a hide shelf, but it only takes a few seconds.

I think they are a bit of a muchness really - the principle is the same. It's one of those things that whatever you choose will be right and once bought you just swing it on and off without thought. The one thing that swung me to the Scopac (other than the fact it was on offer at the InFocus stand at 2009 Bird Fair) was that a friend had mentioned to get one with a mesh rather than solid infill. Apparantly better if you "glow" a little and also less prone to being blown over in windy conditions. Looking at the pictures, the Mulepack seems to have more padded straps, but I have never found the Scopac's a problem.

Over to you! Let us know what you decide - and why.

Michael.

The stitching is failing on my Mulepak (on the base of the shoulder strap) and has been for about a year BUT it is still patent It will no doubt give fairly soon but the Mulepack has given excellent service. One of the best things I have bought and I have a second one ready to take its place! I suppose I could try sewing - suturing wounds I do regularly but can I motivate to sew up anything else - NO ;). Sorry, not tried the Scopac.

The stitching is failing on my Mulepak (on the base of the shoulder strap) and has been for about a year BUT it is still patent It will no doubt give fairly soon but the Mulepack has given excellent service. One of the best things I have bought and I have a second one ready to take its place! I suppose I could try sewing - suturing wounds I do regularly but can I motivate to sew up anything else - NO ;). Sorry, not tried the Scopac.

Have the stitching problem on my mule too. Does not appear to be getting worse. I believe some of the stitching has gone because when I try to get my second arm in the straps it can twist and stick a bit before going around my shoulder.

My mule is comfortable and has a bag attachment built in.

Cannot comment on Scopac.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back