• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Watching (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pursey said:
I Live in the U.K and would like to know what the best conditions for spotting rare birds fnx for any replies

What area do you live in for starters, and how far are you willing to travel.
So many good spots get ready. :eek!:

Elizabeth Bigg said:
There has been a bittern at the London Wetlands Centre (Barnes) this year - does anyone know if it has been seen recently?

not recently EB, there was a Mediterannean Gull there apparently.

Lots of good places in Kent (which is not that far from you). Seeing rarities is, to a considerable extent, a matter of luck. A few years ago there were Bee-eaters at the end of the lane in which I live; no one could have predicted that.

Get yourself an Ordanace Survey Map.

Jeff Pursey said:
Im live in england London but on weekends i am allowed with my mum to go anywhere to spot some lovley rare birds.
Get an OS map of your local area and look for woodland areas, country park and reservoirs or good size lakes. Pick an area not far away and make this your own local patch. Keep a detailed note book of each of your visits when out birding. Do make sure there is public path or right of way before you go any where. Let us all know what you spot when out birding good luck. ;)

Jeff - do you have a garden, and is it a place that birds might like to visit? Since I added niger seed, sunflower hearts and (home made) suet blocks to the food I offer, the number and variety of birds that visit has improved a lot. If you do have a garden, add a bird bath - or better still a pond, and if you can manage some running water with the pond, this is better still.

The London Wetlands centre can be excellent and will often have some rare birds but you do have to be lucky. The bittern has not been back since earlier in the year but from now onwards it could easily re appear. A Firecrest, Cetti's Warbler, wheatear, and Jack Snipe have all been see over last few weeks or so. I will be going tomorrow or saturday so will post if anything exciting, although I reckon it may be worth trying in a few weeks when more of the winter birds have arrived.
Another place to go near(ish) to london in a few weeks will be the River Lee Country Park, which in the winter is usually the best place to see Bitterns. I have not heard if they have arrived yet but should be soon if not...

Jeff Pursey said:
I Live in the U.K and would like to know what the best conditions for spotting rare birds fnx for any replies
(and this is serious, not tongue in cheek) The best condition for seeing rare birds is to know the common ones really well.

That way you'll know what you're looking at, and what to look for when identifying a rarity.

If you can Jeff get your mum to take you to Titchwell Marsh in Norfolk. On a day trip there you could see absolutely anything, rarieteis go with the patch

David FG said:
Lots of good places in Kent (which is not that far from you). Seeing rarities is, to a considerable extent, a matter of luck. A few years ago there were Bee-eaters at the end of the lane in which I live; no one could have predicted that.

They were at the end of your lane? You jammy person!!!

David is right about Kent, though - it's a fantastic place for birds. if you're in London, you could do worse than take a trip along the North Kent coast, from the Thames to Thanet. You'll rack up an impressive list along the way. You may even rack up an impressive list of BF members!

List of birds seen this weekend at Barnes WWT:
Common Snipe
Jack Snipe
Goldcrest
Redpoll (Lesser/common)
Stonechat
Cetti's Warbler
Grey Wagtail
Blackcap
Pintails
Greater Spotted and Green woodpeckers

All the normal ducks , finches, tits amd other regulars aswell, but nothing particularly rare this weekend.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back