• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

URGENT: expertise sought re risk of birds nesting on pylons (1 Viewer)

Terry Townshend

Regular vagrant
In Tianjin, China (a large city 2-3 hrs from Beijing), a pair of ORIENTAL STORKS is nesting on a pylon. The local electricity company is planning to remove the nest citing "risk" to the network. ORIENTAL STORK is Endangered with an estimated population of 1,000-2,500. Across the world, many birds seem to use pylons as a platform for nests without an issue. Does anyone have any scientific data or expertise that shows the risk? If we can act quickly, we may be able to change the mind of the electricity company...
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Terry

Attachments

• oriental stork nest2.jpg
    oriental stork nest2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 118
  • oriental stork nest.jpg
    oriental stork nest.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hi Terry

We had an Osprey nest on the top of a pylon for many years, which did no damage at all.

I understand that the hydroelectric company want to do some work on the pylon/line, so they erected a nesting pole, at a distance from the work, but still in the same field, and the Ospreys apparently took to it. I've only heard the latter via Chinese whispers, I've not seen the result for myself.

Thank you, Delia. That's helpful. I have received some useful information overnight from a few people in southern Europe where White Storks regularly breed on pylons. Providing a dedicated platform either attached, or adjacent to, the original nest seems to the be standard practice if the nest is considered a risk. Apparently, simple removal of the nest usually results in the storks rebuilding in the same place, as they are site faithful.
Thanks again for the reply. I'll report the end result here!
Best wishes, Terry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back