• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (49 Viewers)

Re:- Is this a hobby?

Thanks, Midlands Birder, Birder Gladys and Keith R. Identification appreciated.

Also appreciated are the photos of the many warblers and other LBBs WITH identification. We beginners need all the help we can get!

Anyone going to the shrike in Somerset should note that the light is best in the morning, when it's behind you. Later in the day the sun moves around the hedge where the bird feeds from, and makes photography tricky.

It was still there yesterday as a friend went down to see it.

Pictures from my trip down there are on my Flickr page.

Please note that a group of ringers, including Fergus Henderson...will be undertaking a ringing session at the Moors Pool early on Saturday morning ...in an effort to gauge the impact on the conversation work and the resulting density... here.

I keep telling JTB that he talks a good project! :t:B :):-O

early morning at the Moors at least 2 Cettis singing, 1 along West track and 1 at the far end of the Causeway. Garden Warbler singing and feeding in the lower branches of the Horse Chestnut. Then walking down the West track towards the hide a Grasshopper reeled for a few minutes in Elder scrub on the right just before the Black Poplar. What a result if as well as getting Cettis back Grasshopper Warbler could return as a breeding species. Talking of Conservation in action the renewed Seasonal pool delivered Redshank and a Green sand with a fly through Dunlin. Still 3 Snipe feeding around there and Broadmeadow. Excellent morning

Hi everyone

Am thinking about doing the All-dayer next weekend, being on site very early (probably all night on Friday-Saturday), and was wondering if anyone would care to sponsor me, with all proceeds going to the UW wardens to be spent on the reserve. I had a brief talk with Upstarts about it and it seems like something like this was being planned anyway!
Obviously this is fairly short notice, but I am planning to be on site for most, if not all of the day, and thought that something like this would be fun to do, while also having benefits for the reserve.
I could think of two ways of sponsoring, a fixed sponsor, where the price wouldn't change regardless of how many species we have, or a species sponsor, in which a certain amount is donated for each species, say 50p or something like that, obviously though, no limit, the more you donate, the more goes into the reserve!
I'll start of with a fixed sponsor of £15 from me. Please PM me with any donations, and we can keep a track on here (and also on a document I will make up to be carried on the day in case anyone would like to sponsor then). All the information that is needed is a name, a price and contact info
Cheers
Craig
MB

Some shoots from today

Attachments

• Avocet a IMG_7120.jpg
    Avocet a IMG_7120.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Avocet b IMG_7121.jpg
    Avocet b IMG_7121.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Gull A IMG_7101.jpg
    Gull A IMG_7101.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Little Ringed Plover A IMG_7089.jpg
    Little Ringed Plover A IMG_7089.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Little Ringed Plover B IMG_7105.jpg
    Little Ringed Plover B IMG_7105.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored All-dayer

Today I received two donation/sponsorships
1. £20 from a regular who stated, that we must get 10 species of warbler to receive the money. - although he has given it to me.;)
2. £10 from another regular, who said he will double it if we get 90 species - now there's an incentive:t:
Thanks to both Lads, who wish to remain anonymous.B :) john
The money is being held by Paul M in our fighting fund. We will discuss what the money we raise will be spent on and let you all know.:t:

Birding on the Moors today

The temperature rose to about 18 degrees out of the wind and all 10 species of warbler were again seen or heard. Most conspicuous are the whitethroats that are in unprecedented numbers, or are very mobile. Singing birds were seen in the following areas: secret garden, north moors (north and west sides), swampy bottom , sluice basin and east track. Garden warbler (2) secret garden area, willow warbler secret garden and north moors plantation.
Duck numbers apart from Tufted are now declining, but thankfully species we need for the 'all-dayer' are just hanging on.
Trev has already mentioned the seasonal pool (behind the sand martin bank), but this afternoon , in addition to redshank, there was LRP, lapwing, green sand and oystercatcher. Generally not a lot of movement today - its all waiting until Saturday8-P
Species counts: GCG 6, little grebe 4, greylag 4, cormorant 3, shoveler 2 males, teal pr, gadwall 3 (pr + male), shelduck, tufted 40, Oystercatcher 6 (a 7th bird was at the Flashes), lapwing pr, snipe, green sand, LRP pr, BHG 120, herring gull 3, LBBG 2, stock dove 2, buzzard, only a few hirundines, plus warblers already mentioned

birding at the Flashes this Evening

The warbler are slowly moving out of the sheltered thickets at the steps area, into the reed and scrub of the 1st Flash. Several sedge warblers are now singing in the reeds just past the 1st Hide. A whitethroat is also giving its sub-song around the main hide. A couple of linnets are also about, but the cool NE/E wind kept a lot of birds low down. Small numbers swallows fed over the lagoons, but generally most hirundines were feeding high up.
Species count: Shelduck pr (I was told that there were between 4 and 6 on the reserve at some time today). Tufted 16 (some from the Moors), the two broods of mallard chicks (11:13)from the weekend have halved. Avocet 25 (1 was at the Moors but couldn't be sure if it was an additional bird), LRP 4, common sand, lapwing 1, oystercatcher the lone female was joined by a passage bird. BHG 200, coot 10 4 nests, buzzard, stock dove 5, collared dove, sedge warbler 5, reed warbler 2, whitethroat, chiffchaff, blackcap 2, linnet 2

SAILING POOL: GCG 8,

peacock shot from this morning

if you can help theres a white butterfly on my flickr below please name him or her thanks in advance

Attachments

• p cock_5446.jpg
    p cock_5446.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
On the 13th April 2013 a Black-headed Gull carrying the leg ring white 20F9 was recorded at Upton Warren. A response from the ringing scheme in Gloucestershire confirmed that it was ringed in the nest at Cokes Pit, Somerford Keynes in the Cotswold Water Park on the 24th May 2012.

Last edited:
Sorry for ther late pics these were taken yesterday while on a short visit before being kidnapped and taken to Somerset

Many thanks Vern for yesterday great species and a lifer.

Attachments

• ZZZ_1612.JPG
    ZZZ_1612.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 139
  • ZZZ_1619.JPG
    ZZZ_1619.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 170
  • ZZZ_1801.JPG
    ZZZ_1801.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 117
any time Ade :t: what a bird mate lets hope one turns up at the warren ;)

Assuming you are refering to the little cracker that is Woodchat Shrike, there has only ever been one Worcestershire record - a pair at Weatheroak Hill (between Alvechurch and Wythall) on the 14th May 1893! :eek!: I have seen birds in Shropshire and the West Mids in the last 15 years so its not out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back