• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are House Martins, Sand Martins & Swallows with you yet. (1 Viewer)

The Raptor

Bristol City's No.1 Fan!
I was interested to know, that 7 House Martins, 40 Sand Martins & 2 Swallows have been seen at Northwick Wharf on the Severn Estuary near Bristol, I will have to get down there & have a look for myself. Have other BF Members spotted any in their local area's.

Rod.

Hi Rod,
Sand Martins have arrived at Cosmeston Lakes, (just pop over the 7 bridge)!
Great sight to see.

Though Sand martins passed through my patch on the 19th & 21st they are not back in residence here yet. No others hirundines seen yet. (North Cheshire)
H

Hiya!
Saw half a dozen Sand Martins at the London Wetland Centre on Sunday (25th), apparently they have been around for about a week there.

About 60 Sand Martins and 2 Swallows seen at Brandon Marsh [just outside Coventry]this morning. Reports of 1 SM seen last week - but I didn't manage to eyeball it.

The Raptor said:
I was interested to know, that 7 House Martins, 40 Sand Martins & 2 Swallows have been seen at Northwick Wharf on the Severn Estuary near Bristol, I will have to get down there & have a look for myself. Have other BF Members spotted any in their local area's.

Rod.

Rod
3 Sand Martins at Durham City on 18th March ( fairly typical first date, although they were heading south in a snow shower !)

2 Swallows & 10 Sand Martins at Holywell Hall, approx 2 mile south of Durham City this morning.
They didnt look very comfortable - a cold damp North Easterly had them either low over the water or close to the tree tops looking for food.
As it warmed up & the mist cleared, one of the Swallows came close overhead, i could see his long tail streamers & hear him singing.
Theres been a few other Sand Martins & at least one other Swallow north of the Tees today.

Steve

bitterntwisted said:
Why is this thread not called "Hirundine Inundation?"

yours,
Peggy Babcock
Now come on Peggy, calling the thread that is way beyond my intelligence, I even had to look up how to spell intelligence!!.

Rod.

Lots of sandmartins in Carmarthenshire - thats in Wales by the way.
One swallow that I have seen reported and that was by me on the 28th.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back