• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your very favorite Roof and Porro Prism? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
What's your favorite Roof and Porro Prisms(Price No Object)?

Of all the bincoulars you have experienced what are your favorite birding binoculars in the roof prism design and the porro-prism design without regard to price? Based on optics, weight,ergonomics, build quality, and included accessories(Case,Strap,rainguard and objective covers). Now if you haven't tried the top alpha binoculars for whatever reason we still would like your opinion on the binoculars you have had but state that you haven't tried the top alphas. Here is my vote to start it off:

1) Best Porro Prism- Nikon 8x32 SE.

2) Best Roof Prism- Zeiss 8x32 FL.

Dennis

Last edited:
Hi,
I've not tried newer most expensive alphas as I can't afford them and I know if I look through them, I'll most likely want them.

1). Porro- Bushnell Legend 8x42. Cracking view for very low price. Full fov with specs on. Only down side is weight. Tried in shop recently and about to buy them as back up pair.

2). Roof- Meopta Meostar 8x32. Bought in June. Fantastic view and an ergonomic delight. Full fov with specs on. Compared them against used Leica 8x32 BNs and new Swaro SLC 8x30 and I think much better than both

Cheers,
Martin.

|=o|

whaa, huh, oh uh ...sorry I was sleeping... yawn

Hasn't this been asked (effectively) about 67 different ways? Recently?

Oh yeah, the questions:
1. Porro: Fujinon 40x150s (for portability)
2. Roof: Nikon 5x15s (for sheer optical power)

Last edited:
1. Porro: Fujinon 40x150s (for portability)

I bet you don't even need a harness for these. On a strap around your neck you'll barely notice them. :D

I´m very fickle with binoculars so I´d give a different answer to "fave roof/porro" every fortnight or so. Therefore you can completely ignore the following current faves:

Roof: Swaro EL 8.5x42
Porro: Nikon EII 10x35. Or maybe Canon IS 10x30. Or maybe not. I just can´t decide.

1) Porro: A chinese 20 dollars one - that is the only one I have
2) Roof: A Zen-Ray ED2 8x43mm - that I dont have yet because it didnt arrive.

Oh hell...:-C

Favorite Roof: Zeiss 7x42 FL
- Honorable Mention: Meopta 8x42 and 8x32, Zen Ray 8x43 ED II

Favorite Porro: Undecided

No surprises here:

1) Zeiss 8x42 FL

2) Nikon 8x32 SE

There are a number of also-for 1, but no CF porro comes close to the 8x SE IMO apart from the late, lamented EII.

Favorite roof: ZEN ED 2 7x36. This has easily become my favorite glass, and one I could live with just fine if I had to choose just one.

Favorite Porro: Swift Audubon #804 8.5x44. Close 2nd is the Yosemite 6x30 just because it is so blasted useful and so very good for what it costs.

I'll agree with Fireform:

Roof: Zeiss 8x42 Victory T* FL LT

Porro: Nikon 8x32 SE

I would like to give the 8x32 FL a whirl but that's not happening anytime soon. So maybe the 8x32 Meopta eventually. Or a Zen-Ray since that 7x36 is enticing. I like my 10x35 EII also but not as much as the SE. Oh, and I'd really like to get my hands on a pair of the Swift Audubon Mk II 804ED HR/5 8.5x44 porros but very rare it seems.

Last edited:
I'll agree with Fireform:

Roof: Zeiss 8x42 Victory T* FL LT

Porro: Nikon 8x32 SE

I would like to give the 8x32 FL a whirl but that's not happening anytime soon. So maybe the 8x32 Meopta eventually. Or a Zen-Ray since that 7x36 is enticing. I like my 10x35 EII also but not as much as the SE. Oh, and I'd really like to get my hands on a pair of the Swift Audubon Mk II 804ED HR/5 8.5x44 porros but very rare it seems.

It looks like it is running Zeiss FL for the roof and Nikon SE for the porro. I think the Zeiis 8x32 FL is sharper at the edges than the 8x42 FL.

Dennis

Roof - Swarovski 10x42 EL
Porro - 3 way tie... The whole SE line!
Dennis, just moved to Colorado Springs! Gonna have to meet up and do a little comparative glassing!

Last edited:
Hello all,

Porro: Nikon 8x30 EII, which I found far friendlier than the 8x32 SE.

Roof: Zeiss 8x32 FL. with the 7x42 Dialyt close behind. The latter is peculiar because it is rather like a Porro with its slight stereo effect and moving bridge.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back