• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon dSLR body choice (1 Viewer)

mollymawk

I am about to purchase a re-furb Canon body for my son. He will have (carefully controllled) access to my lenses so the choice of lens that comes with it (if any) is largely irrelevant.

For about the same price (about £340 delivered with short zoom and 12m warranty) I can get either a 1000D or a 400D.

Are there fundamental reasons why one would be a better choice than another given the intended use - which is general photography but with the occasional use of my L series 400mm f/5.6 and 500mm f/4 lenses?

Any thoughts?

I think the 400D has more FPS (3 vs 1.5 I seem to recall) but the 1000D has live view?

Otherwise the specs are very similar. £340 sounds a bit steep though...............how much does a a new 500D/550D cost?

Hi,
I thought that £340 was a tad expensive for a 400/1000. I 'hate' doing this, but I've seen 450d's for about £380 which has 3.5 fps and live view.
Also if your ever in the market to adopt, I could sure get to like lending a 500 F4.....
Ian

I'd be quite happy to get a 450D for that price. Do you know where? I am looking at the Canon Outlet on Ebay at the moment. I'd like to avoid 2nd hand but a refurb with a warranty seems fine.

I am not really in the market for adoption. Two's enough particularly to keep them in cameras.

I've already got a 30D!

Its my sole body and with 24,000 trouble free actuations, appears bomb proof. My son isn't keen on it as he finds it heavy and bulky whereas he likes the feel of the xx0D series. The plan was he would use a 2nd hand smaller body while I plod on with my 30D until I can justify a 7D. Then we'd decide which of the other bodies to get rid of - the 30d or the xx0D. Although the poor trade in value of the 30D probably means it will be worth keeping as a back up/dirty work body.

In the end this will come down to judgement (mine) but your thoughts so far are very helpful. Keep them coming.

If google currency translator is correct, 350 GBP-or euros- is about US $540, which would get you a new 450d with 18-55mm lens here. I have the 450D, and I think it would be be an excellent choice for your son.

Unfortunately US prices don't translate to UK prices very well. For sticker prices, it's closer to $1 = £1 than what the exchange rate would give.

Best prices for a 450D body seen to be about £440, less £30 cashback, from a UK dealer, or about £380 for grey imports

Just bought one from the Ebay Canon Outlet: A refurbished Canon EOS 400D with 18-55 mm lens and a year's warranty for £270. I think this is a good deal.

I got my 500mm f/4, a printer and two other Canon compact cameras through this route. Well worth a look.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back