• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Harrier, Romney Marsh, Kent? (1 Viewer)

Freezo

Hi, newbie question here so please forgive if it's in the wrong forum.
Am I likely to have seen a marsh harrier in the northernmost reaches of Romney Marsh? This was up near Warehorne for anyone who knows the area - do they range that far up from the breeding sites I've googled about at Dungeness? That can't be more than 10 miles I suppose, but I was cycling at the time, & that can exaggerate distances. The bird I saw showed the typical low-level quartering flight I'd expect of a harrier, and was distinctly two-tone, with the paler shade almost yellowish & prominent on the head. The bird was a similar size to the red kites I see up in Bucks.
Any advice gratefully received!

distribution wise it seems fine, as well as the 1/2 pairs at Dungeness this year they are commonly seen elsewhere in the area

Marsh Harriers are pretty common on the marsh year round. In the winter there is a fairly large roost and as Tom said at least one pair bred on the reserve at Dungeness for the first time this year raising 4 young.

Hi, newbie question here so please forgive if it's in the wrong forum.
Am I likely to have seen a marsh harrier in the northernmost reaches of Romney Marsh? This was up near Warehorne for anyone who knows the area - do they range that far up from the breeding sites I've googled about at Dungeness? That can't be more than 10 miles I suppose, but I was cycling at the time, & that can exaggerate distances. The bird I saw showed the typical low-level quartering flight I'd expect of a harrier, and was distinctly two-tone, with the paler shade almost yellowish & prominent on the head. The bird was a similar size to the red kites I see up in Bucks.
Any advice gratefully received!

I saw a Marsh Harrier two Saturdays ago at Rye, so pretty likely I would think....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back