• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red image through bins (1 Viewer)

Osprey_watcher

Ένας ερασ&
I bought a pair of bins off e-bay about 18 months ago. They were a make I'd never heard of. Sakura.

They've ok up till now but when I was using them in lakesearlier this month I couldn't get a good view of ospreys when the sun was high in the sky a in front of me. Not directly in front but a bit off to one side. The image through the bins was red. Is this usual or is it because I have cheap bins? Anyone know?

Osprey_watcher said:
I bought a pair of bins off e-bay about 18 months ago. They were a make I'd never heard of. Sakura.

They've ok up till now but when I was using them in lakesearlier this month I couldn't get a good view of ospreys when the sun was high in the sky a in front of me. Not directly in front but a bit off to one side. The image through the bins was red. Is this usual or is it because I have cheap bins? Anyone know?

Yep sounds like a problem with the binos to me. some are coatedwith 'infra red' or so they say - not even sure if that is possible?? Anyhow I'd recommend a new pair. I recently got a pair of opticron high resolutions on ebay for less than £50 and cannot recommend them highly enough. You don't have to spend a fortune for bino's all the time...

Cheers for the advice.

Was going to buy a cheap pair for the wife, but I think she can have mine and I'll treat myself to some decent ones.

Osprey_watcher said:
Cheers for the advice.

Was going to buy a cheap pair for the wife, but I think she can have mine and I'll treat myself to some decent ones.

Now that is not very nice....

You should be able to find something decent at 50-100 UK pounds Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, have 7x35 and 8x40 models that are nice. Try them in the store, at that price it's not worth ordering and ending up with a lemon.

Osprey_watcher said:
Cheers for the advice.

The usual trick. And no wonder the wives don't want to come along, we give them lousy bins.

Actually, my wife appreciates compactness above all. They have to fit into the side pocket of her camera bag. :eek!: So 8x21 is typical.

Tero said:
no wonder the wives don't want to come along, we give them lousy bins.

Well, you are right.
I only offer the best to my wife and daughter (Zeiss FL 8x42 and Swarovski EL 8x32), and since they can see and enjoy those birds, they are more likely to join me in unconventional vacation spots such as Iceland or Patagonia.

Don't get me wrong. If she was into birding I would buy her a some decent bins. She only comes along when we go up to the lakes for the weekend and stop of at Leighton Moss on the way. If I buy myself a decent pair and give her mine she'll be over the moon. And the bins do perform well in all but brilliant sunlight.

Osprey_watcher said:

Sometimes, especially in the morning, I find I get a reddish tinge to my eyes, maybe it was that.

Osprey_watcher said:

I did an astronomical test some nights ago with some of my bins.
I was studying Jupiter from town and of course it was lot of light pollution.
My 15x70 and 25x100 from Kun Ming optics was excellent but my Meade 10x50 gives me a light red blur picture. I was wondering what the problem was, took a pen light and light through the lenses. I saw a difference between the bins. All three bins have the same green lens coating, but when I light through the Meade 10x50 I saw a light reflecting dot.
Conclution: The prism in the cheap Meade 10x50 was NOT coated, and in this case the lightpollution was reflected and give me a light blur view.
I'll think this phenomen can occur when looking out over water or other reflecting materia.

/Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back