• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Correction: Blyth's Reed Warbler in DB (1 Viewer)

hannu said:
I'd say that these two birds named as Blyth's Reed Warbler does not fit to be BRW:

This bird looks more phyllocs than Acro, notice e.g. the colour of legs
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/data/527/16293noname62_060802.jpg

This bird's face pattern does not fit BRW
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/data/3206/15855CRW_5130.jpg

I've no experience of BRW so my opinions can only be drawn from photographs and papers/fieldguides I've seen. I must disagree with you regarding bird #1, to me it does look like an acrocephalus Warbler. The long undertail coverts together with the graduated rectrices immediately suggested 'acro'. The leg colour on this monitor appears to be pale grey to horn and the slightly flared supercilium before the eye would fit BRW I guess.

I see your point however in bird #2. It is quite clearly an acrocephalus but which one? The facial pattern does not appear quite correct for BRW but the bird does seem to be in a rather heavily worn condition. Perhaps this would account for it. As you are no doubt aware, identifiying birds from pictures can sometimes be a lot less than straightforward and I wouldn't want to commit myself with this one.

James

Frootshoot said:
I've no experience of BRW so my opinions can only be drawn from photographs and papers/fieldguides I've seen. I must disagree with you regarding bird #1, to me it does look like an acrocephalus Warbler. The long undertail coverts together with the graduated rectrices immediately suggested 'acro'. The leg colour on this monitor appears to be pale grey to horn and the slightly flared supercilium before the eye would fit BRW I guess.

I see your point however in bird #2. It is quite clearly an acrocephalus but which one? The facial pattern does not appear quite correct for BRW but the bird does seem to be in a rather heavily worn condition. Perhaps this would account for it. As you are no doubt aware, identifiying birds from pictures can sometimes be a lot less than straightforward and I wouldn't want to commit myself with this one.

James

thanx James about feedback....

bird 1 the quite dark coloured eye does not fit well in Acro and sc does not be so distinct as it should be in BRW. Also BRW has brownish or pinkish legs.
Also that kind of pale brown coloured upperpart does not be typical for BRW....

Bird 2 can be BRW, but sc is very narrow to be BRW's. Indeed, bird is very heavily worn condition, wet and bad light condition todether will lead me to wrong direction, but I still wonder, how the photographer can id this bird also?
I'd say that bird reminds more Reed W, but in my mind, the bird is impossible to id authentically from this photo...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back