• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski 15x56 SLC (1 Viewer)

Most of them do go out West.

Those hunters must not move around much on their own legs and they aren't exactly your ideal binocular for use on horseback. They would be more comfortable climbing around the terrain using an 8 x 32 like Terry Wieland recommended in an article in the Feb/Mar 2006 issue of Grays Sporting Journal. He titled it "8 x 30 Who could ask for anything more." Get some copies of it made and maybe you can sell hunters the Swarovision 8 x 32 also!

Do they have binocular bearers for the 15 x 56 when they hunt out west?

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Brock i can confirm you that the specimen of 15x56 that i've in vision has a better focus than my Swarovision 8.5x42. Obviously my 8.5x42 have not the best focus movement that i've tested during these years:t:
Obviously now, it will be interesting to compare it with other 15x56. We will can do this, during Binomania Event in Valtellina.

Pier,

Two members tried some SLC samples at the Bird Fair, and they both reported that the focusers were either "gritty" or turned harder in one direction than the other.

QUOTES:

"The focus had the usual Swaro feel with different tensions forward and back, and a couple had noticable grittiness." (post #2)

"3 out of 5 Swaros I tried had gritty focusing feel, and 2 had a very gritty feel to the eyecups when moved. Not good." (post #4)

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=264377

Whatever 10 components they took out of the SLC-HD's focuser to make the new SLCs, the one-way spring or other culprit for the focuser issues wasn't removed and replaced with something "new and improved". You'd think if they were going to redesign the focuser, why not fix these problems?

The only thing I can think of is that doing so would have forced the company to add cost rather than reduce the cost of the SLCs. Yet, I wonder how many Swaros are returned because of focuser issues and what those focuser repair costs add up to? Over the long run, it might be worth Swarovski absorbing the cost of redesigning the focuser.

I suspect that until enough people migrate to another brand because of the Swaro focuser issues, like one member did when they failed to fix his EL's focuser to his satisfaction and he sold the EL and bought an FL, the focuser issues will remain. Some will turn smoothly, some won't. "You pays your money and you takes your chances"

No use carping about the focuser issues, because Swarovski is obviously not interested. Then again, I might write them and see if they post the reason for these issues to the SLC Website like they replied to Henry's question. I doubt it!

Brock
I've tried several Swarovski focus mechanisms and they all worked just fine. Get to a festival where you can try out samples and you might change your rant.
Go Swarovski!

Hi to all, i am writing in "real time". My friend Luca has arrived and in this moment, he is watching, with his eyeglasses, and Swarovision 15x56. I send you a photo. He has just confirmed to me that he is able to see the entire field of view
Best Regards
Piergiovanni

Attachments

• swarovski_luca.jpg
    swarovski_luca.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 132
I've tried several Swarovski focus mechanisms and they all worked just fine. Get to a festival where you can try out samples and you might change your rant.
Go Swarovski!

I'm sorry, Pilly, I keep forgetting that you are the center of the known universe! Of course, your experience is universal and everyone else's experiences including the two BF members who were just at the Bird Fair and DID try out different samples of Swaro's latest optics and found that most of the focusers were gritty or harder to turn in one direction than the other were all anomalies. Just as Piergiovanni's experiences were anomalous when he sent two 8.5 SV ELs back for focuser repairs. Just as mine were when I found focuser issues in two out of the three Swaros I tried. In fact, these forums have been ripe with reports of anomalous Swaro focuser issues. We must have discovered every exception to the rule out there.

Okay, let's get real. Swarovski binoculars have many outstanding characteristics, they also do the best marketing among the alphas and have the best warranty service, but consistency in the smoothness of their focusers is not one of their strong points.

To deny that at this point is to look at the moon and insist it is the sun. To acknowledge Swaro focuser issues exist but to say that it doesn't bother you or that it hasn't been your personal experience (so far) would be more honest.

Go Swarovski! (back to the drawing board and redesign your bin focusers).

<B>

Last edited:
The older 15x56 neu SLC binos came with the SLC tripod adapter for easy mount on a tripod. Looking at the new 15x56 info, it doesn't state that it comes with an adapter, although the side cutouts on the 15x56 certainly look like they would help keep the binos steady in the hand. The Swaro EL adapter that is used on the 42 & 50 Swarovisions looks a little 'short' in the strap & width to work on the new 56. Dale or Clay, do you know what might be in the works?

FYI--the Swarovski blog on the new 15x56 SLC indicates that the old SLC tripod adapter will work on the new 15x56, but the adapter will now be sold separately & not included with the new binos.

I'm sorry, Pilly, I keep forgetting that you are the center of the known universe! Of course, your experience is universal and everyone else's experiences including the two BF members who were just at the Bird Fair and DID try out different samples of Swaro's latest optics and found that most of the focusers were gritty or harder to turn in one direction than the other were all anomalies. Just as Piergiovanni's experiences were anomalous when he sent two 8.5 SV ELs back for focuser repairs. Just as mine were when I found focuser issues in two out of the three Swaros I tried. In fact, these forums have been ripe with reports of anomalous Swaro focuser issues. We must have discovered every exception to the rule out there.

Okay, let's get real. Swarovski binoculars have many outstanding characteristics, they also do the best marketing among the alphas and have the best warranty service, but consistency in the smoothness of their focusers is not one of their strong points.

To deny that at this point is to look at the moon and insist it is the sun. To acknowledge Swaro focuser issues exist but to say that it doesn't bother you or that it hasn't been your personal experience (so far) would be more honest.

Go Swarovski! (back to the drawing board and redesign your bin focusers).

<B>
In the alpha arena Swarovski outsells all other brands. When I see multitudes of happy Swarovski owners I tend to heavily discount the carping I read on BF. Heck, some posters repeatedly criticize models they've never examined. Now that's amazing!

PS
Maybe a galaxy, but certainly not the ever-expanding universe which, theoretically, has no center.

In my case I have had Nikon 7x50 Prostar, and 18x70 Astroluxe. In the past week I had
a chance to look through Swarovski 12x50 EL Swarovision.
It was the best view through a binocular I have ever had. I really look forward to tiis
newer version 15x56.

Dave

In the alpha arena Swarovski outsells all other brands. When I see multitudes of happy Swarovski owners I tend to heavily discount the carping I read on BF. Heck, some posters repeatedly criticize models they've never examined. Now that's amazing!

PS
Maybe a galaxy, but certainly not the ever-expanding universe which, theoretically, has no center.

Are there sales figures available to confirm their sales leadership; or perhaps a statement by them or an advertisement by them that says this?

Bob

I'm sorry, Pilly, I keep forgetting that you are the center of the known universe! ....

.... PS. Maybe a galaxy, but certainly not the ever-expanding universe which, theoretically, has no center.

Ermm, that would be a black hole then? ....... :storm:

(The densest object known to man ?!!) 8-P

Soz Pil ! ...... Just thought I'd defuse the b-o-m-b before Brock got in and "bazinga'd" you! 3:)

Actually, it's thought that the "grit" in Swaro's focusers has several times the density of even the heaviest black holes ...... pales in comparison though to the "grittiness" found in "Gumption" :-O

.......... Gumption.jpg .......... Dr_Sheldon_Lee_Cooper.jpg

Chosun :gh:

Hi to all, i am writing in "real time". My friend Luca has arrived and in this moment, he is watching, with his eyeglasses, and Swarovision 15x56. I send you a photo. He has just confirmed to me that he is able to see the entire field of view
Best Regards
Piergiovanni

Pier, thanks very much for the eyeglass "test" and visuals :t:

As to my other question - Is there any word on whether these new x56mm SLC's use field flattner elements?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Wow 26 optical elements in this 15x56 is one more per tube than EL SV.
Maybe there is some FF, because SV has 2 FF per tube.
Anyway is there include 2 prism elements? (Leica in their specs count only lenses pre tube, and 12x50 has 11 lens)

B/R Kestrel

Wow 26 optical elements in this 15x56 is one more per tube than EL SV.
Maybe there is some FF, because SV has 2 FF per tube.
Anyway is there include 2 prism elements? (Leica in their specs count only lenses pre tube, and 12x50 has 11 lens)

B/R Kestrel

Kestrel - where are you getting this info from ?

Anyone else notice that if not a typo (8x, and 10x follow the same pattern), Swarovski are listing 'field' specs according to some weird formula (not traditional, not iso) ??????

From the website:

Field of view (ft/1000 yds / m/1000 m) 234/78

Field of view (degrees) 4.5

Field of view, apparent (degrees) 62

I found it on swarovski site, in binoculars section there is download of technical parameters where the number of optical elements is stated, also binomania posted shortened table with parameters in 15x56 preview. 8x56 and 10x56 is 24 element, only 15x is 26 element. I dont know that if FF is added, but if it has more elements than EL SV, it seems that there is possibility that it has.

Best regards Kestrel

Kestrel - where are you getting this info from ?

Oh, ok, thanks Kestrel, I see - doh! |:$| ...... from the downloads section:

http://aa.swarovskioptik.com/download/pdf/Technical_SLC2.pdf

Very interesting that both the 8x and 10x have 1 less element per barrel than the 15x.

I asked that question about the FF element(s) back in post#52 based on Pier's observations with the 15x, but as yet haven't received any firm confirmation either way. Anbody have any hands-on experience with the new 8x, or 10x 56mm's and have any comment to make regarding field characteristics ??

Last edited:
Yes, I also waiting for describing the 10x56 SLC, if it is on par with EL SV10x50 in optical quality, in future I want to buy one 10x binocular, but what is strange for me that older SLC 8x56 is much cheaper than new SLC 8x56, on frankonia.de http://www.frankonia.de/optik/ferng...Swarovski+Optik&page=0&lastSelected=f_s_marke the difference in price is more than 800€, but in case of the SLC 42 the new version is nearly 200€ cheaper. Maybe is the price difference in x56 caused by A-K prisms with better transmission, wider FOV, more optical elements with HD glass (don´t know if the old version has it). Maybe there is FF because price is close to EL SV x50. The new SLCx56 will hardly compete to Victory FL x56 which costs arround 500€ less, if SLC will not have FF, because the FOV is nearly same and Zeiss have transmission also nearly same, maybe better.

Best regards Kestrel

Hi from Italy
Swarovski Italy replied me that the SLC 56 has asperichal lenses.
@binastro: This week me and my collaborator (Piero Pignatta) will receive two specimens of Nikon 20x56 ED. We will write a review during the month of September.
Pier

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back