• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 SLC Mfg Date And Swarobright Question? (1 Viewer)

Mac308

United States
Hi all, what year were these 8x30 SLC's manufactured? 1999?

serial no. D6942440XX

Do they have Swarobright?

Thanks!

Hi all, what year were these 8x30 SLC's manufactured? 1999?

serial no. D6942440XX

Do they have Swarobright?

Thanks!

You have the date correct, and I believe the Swarobright dielectric
prism coatings were added to the 8x30 SLC's in 2003 with the introduction
of the Mark III model.

Jerry

Thanks for reminding me - my Mk II's were made in 1991. 2 years ago I sent them in for fogging. I got them back with 5 pages of repair parts and labor, including all new lenses, prisms, exterior cover, etc. So, all the latest glass and coatings, looking totally like new, far better inside and out than when I bought them over 23 years ago. Repair cost - $0.00. Very happy I purchased Swarovski. I felt so good about their service that I promptly purchased the EL 10x32 Swarovision. Sent them in a while back for gritty focusing, and they are now perfect. Again, no cost.

Hi John, Your model would have the optical window, is that right?

That is correct. Should make them about as water / dust proof as it gets. I love comparing them to my EL 32 Swarovisions - they are so close in most of the major optical qualities that I sometimes actually have to look closely for more than a few seconds to tell the difference. In bright sun, there is just a smidgen of CA with the 'old' glasses toward the edges of the field.

John F

Hi John, Thanks for your reply. I had the first series Swarovski 7x30SLC [SL compact], non phase-coated without the optical window. I used to use running water over the lens to get any grit etc. off. I had to send this binocular in to SONA to get repaired, and they could not upgrade this to optical window or p-coatiings. I think because it was the 7x model. I traded it in on the 8x30 SLCneu. The picture is the day I traded thie 7 in, I guess I should of cleaned it up some. Lost Creek Shoe Shop gave me more for the binocular than I paid for it new.

John did your receipt look something like this? The second link is price list, you will see they list the 8x30 & 7x30 SLC as SL compact with a price of $360, I paid $388 shipped, trade in $450. BTW that place is out of business, Henry Link on here knows about that person selling these back then.

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=179947&d=1233712889

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=137797&d=1209830736

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z327/nikonnut1/christmas2009lexhutchshoeshop030.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me - my Mk II's were made in 1991. 2 years ago I sent them in for fogging. I got them back with 5 pages of repair parts and labor, including all new lenses, prisms, exterior cover, etc. So, all the latest glass and coatings, looking totally like new, far better inside and out than when I bought them over 23 years ago. Repair cost - $0.00. Very happy I purchased Swarovski. I felt so good about their service that I promptly purchased the EL 10x32 Swarovision. Sent them in a while back for gritty focusing, and they are now perfect. Again, no cost.
That is impressive. 23 years old and Swarovski did that. IMPRESSIVE! I hear that stuff and it makes me loyal to Swarovski. Down the road they are worth the difference in price. Wow! Would Zeiss or Leica do that?

Last edited:
That is impressive. 23 years old and Swarovski did that. IMPRESSIVE! I hear that stuff and it makes me loyal to Swarovski. Down the road they are worth the difference in price. Wow! Would Zeiss or Leica do that?

Zeiss would and Leica would some of the time.

Didn't realise that the Swaro gritty focuser syndrome was backward-compatible with these older models.

Impressive :-O

Lee

Lee now you have done it, Brock will have to post about the "mine" Swaro 8x30SLCneu a smidgen harder to turn the one way and bawling about it.:-C;)

Zeiss would and Leica would some of the time.

Didn't realise that the Swaro gritty focuser syndrome was backward-compatible with these older models.

Impressive :-O

Lee

Hmm, I sent the new EL swaros in for gritty focus, not the rebuilt 8x30's - the focuser on the old ones always were and still are perfection.

John F

Yes- D70 is 2000

The last year for production on the 7x30 was I believe 2001; but possibly 2002 year at the latest. I have a 1999 7x30 SLC, that is very, very nice. IMO, it competes well with all most all current offerings that I have put up against. It was much superior when compared to the 8x30 CL that I tested extensively. Again- IMO.

Sure wish they made a current 7x30/32 in a SLC HD. Not going to happen- but I believe it would be awesome!

As a collector, I wouldn't want a classic upgraded with new glass and prisms, these [original parts] are why I have an interest in these older models. Kinda like putting a hybrid-drive in a 911 Carrera - better in some ways but no longer true or straight.

I like my older glass, largely because they are different in view than current stuff - they may not be quite as good but they retain their uniqueness. I wouldn't expect anyone else to really understand where I'm coming from though. Zeiss Design Selection 56 mm can fetch up to $1500.00, and that is certainly not for outright optical performance. An updated version might be optically superior but [to me] would be less collectible / desirable.

Hmm, I sent the new EL swaros in for gritty focus, not the rebuilt 8x30's - the focuser on the old ones always were and still are perfection.

John F

John

Apologies, obviously I didn't read carefully enough and was too quick to pounce on a mild taunt to Dennis in response to his gushing.

Lee

Yes- D70 is 2000

The last year for production on the 7x30 was I believe 2001; but possibly 2002 year at the latest. I have a 1999 7x30 SLC, that is very, very nice. IMO, it competes well with all most all current offerings that I have put up against. It was much superior when compared to the 8x30 CL that I tested extensively. Again- IMO.

Sure wish they made a current 7x30/32 in a SLC HD. Not going to happen- but I believe it would be awesome!

I got my first 7x30 SLC in late 1997. Carried that little glass for a long time. I agree with everything you've written, and also lament someone doesn't make a 7x30/32 glass any longer.

I loved the "warm" color rendition of the 7x30, and its resolution was outstanding.

I got my first 7x30 SLC in late 1997. Carried that little glass for a long time. I agree with everything you've written, and also lament someone doesn't make a 7x30/32 glass any longer.

I loved the "warm" color rendition of the 7x30, and its resolution was outstanding.

Agree, agree!

And that slightly warm color rendition is perfect for hunting in the dark, foggy, dreary days like we have often here in the late season. That 7x30 SLC is one of the best I have used for resolution/ contrast in those conditions. They seem to cut right through it. Even better in those conditions than my 8x30 Swaro Habicht porro.

Guess the folks at Swarovski knew what they were doing when they designed those SLC's for use in the northern European climates- ( and those are also much like what we have here in the PNW).

Yeah, I miss not having a pair around. Just picked up a clean 2000 year mfg'd pair on ebay... should be here this week!

Yeah, I miss not having a pair around. Just picked up a clean 2000 year mfg'd pair on ebay... should be here this week!

Congrats on that. Should be nice, and if not- you can always send back to SONA and they can spruce them up for you. Hope they work work out well for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back