• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunnock Issue (1 Viewer)

Rainbows

Hi

Im new to this forum, so i apologise if ive posted in the wrong section.

This Dunnock has been visiting daily, he seems to be eating well. I was wondering if it was a type of mite affecting him & if theres anything i could do. He also seems to be with a very healthy sparrow family and has asked the male on occasions for food.

Attachments

• dun.JPG
    dun.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 51
  • dun1.JPG
    dun1.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 56
  • dun2.JPG
    dun2.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 58
  • dun3.JPG
    dun3.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 52
Hi and welcome to the Forum from all the staff and the mods.

It's quite common for birds to lose a lot of their head feathers during the breeding season. Once he's moulted again he'll be fine ready for next year. I've attached my own pic of a Blue Tit this year who is in need of a wig till his feathers grow back. ;)

Attachments

• _MG_9508.jpg
    _MG_9508.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 40
Hi and welcome to the Forum from all the staff and the mods.

It's quite common for birds to lose a lot of their head feathers during the breeding season. Once he's moulted again he'll be fine ready for next year. I've attached my own pic of a Blue Tit this year who is in need of a wig till his feathers grow back. ;)

Well, we live & learn don't we? If I'd seen that dunnock or blue tit near our house I'd have thought they had a disease and their days were numbered. So glad of this posting Jaff.

Sandra

IIRC, that is a likely to be mite infestation. It is common in the summer and especially common with Blackbird and Magpie. Cooler weather sorts out the mites and the feathers grow back. Looks a bit harsh in the mean time!

Oh I'd thought I'd heard somewhere that it was to do with wear and tear coming in and out of nest box holes. I'm probably the one that's wrong then.

Oh I'd thought I'd heard somewhere that it was to do with wear and tear coming in and out of nest box holes. I'm probably the one that's wrong then.

No you are right. When they are breeding they spend so much time collecting food and tending young, they have no time for preening and are in and out of nests. They end up looking really scraggy until they moult. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back