Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 5th September 2017, 11:40   #26
johnhub
Relatively newbie birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnarGG View Post
The Zeiss FL 8x32 is a great binocular that will probably be even greater when the focus is the way I think it is supposed to be.
Shame about the focus, Gunnar. I've got FLs in 8x32 and 7x42, and the focus on both is nigh on perfect - fast, smooth and silky. In fact, I only wish my Leica examples had focusers like that.

I guess it shouldn't really be a factor with alpha bins, but it does seem that you need to test out and be entirely happy with a particular sample before you commit. I think someone has mentioned that the focuser on FLs can be adjusted (albeit at the Zeiss factory, unfortunately): it would appear to be much more of a problem with Leicas.

Anecdotally, I've heard that a lot of Swaros have less than perfect focusers. Nikon, on the other hand, would appear to be perhaps the best in this regard.

Cheers
John
Old Tuesday 5th September 2017, 12:51   #27
paddy7

Well, that sounds like a great result all round - good choice made, and running into all the right people at right time to get the focus sorted - just a brief delay in starting a lifelong relationship, i reckon!
Old Wednesday 6th September 2017, 12:22   #28
GunnarGG

After reading a lot of threads, getting all the helpful answers in this thread and trying different binoculars I think I have made a good choice.

I have read about some Swaro and Leica having less than perfect focus and Nikon very good focus.
I have also seen many telling their Zeiss binos inkl FL 8x32 having very smooth focus and that makes me believe that mine also will be good after it gets fixed.

It will take a while until I'm there but I will uppdate when I know how it turns out.

As a newbee I'm very thankful for and very impressed by the knowledge and experience about binos and very impressed by the bird knowledge I see here.

Cheers
Gunnar
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 09:51   #29
GunnarGG

Got my FL 8x32 back a couple of weeks ago. Has been really busy lately but was out yesterday trying it.

The focus is now smoother, still quite firm but not the "stepwise" feeling it gave before.

Now it's easy to find correct focus and to follow with the focus.

It might seem like a small change on the bino but it makes it totally different to use.
I'm very happy I sent it in.
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 11:53   #30
Gijs van Ginkel

GunnarGG, post 28,
We learn our students not to believe what others say unless they can confirm it themselves. That also counts for the quality of focussers. We never had any problems with the focussers of Leitz/Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss although many instruments passed in our hands. What can be a problem is when the focussers have a heavy turning resistance as is the case with the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 for example, but on the other hand, hunters often want stiff focussers (I heard, but I am not a hunter) to avoid an unwanted focus shift in the field.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 09:07   #31
GunnarGG

Gijs,
you are spot on with the heavy turning resistans, that was the problem.
You are probably also right about the hunters, I think a hunter would have thought that it was just fine as it was.

With my other binos, and my FL now after it was fixed, I apply a small amount of force to make the focus wheel start moving and I can make very small and precise adjustments.

With the FL when I got it first that small amount of force didn't move the focus wheel. I then had to apply a little more force until it moved and when it then did move it made a small jump of maybe 1 or 2 mm and so no precision.
If I looked at a bird and the focus was let's say 10-20 cm in front of it and tried to get it in focus I would end up having the focus 10-20 cm behind it instead. It took me rocking the focus back and forth several times before I found correct focus. Then the bird moved and I had to start over again, pretty annoying.

Maybe a hunter sets the focus on a spot 100-200 meters away and keeps it there for long time. So a focus with higher resistance is wanted.
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 10:32   #32
sbb

Gunner, originally doesn't sound right, but glad you got it fixed!
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 11:16   #33
Troubador

Quote:
Maybe a hunter sets the focus on a spot 100-200 meters away and keeps it there for long time. So a focus with higher resistance is wanted.
I am not a hunter Gunnar but I know that for many hunters, what you describe is correct. They climb into hunting towers when the light is still good and focus their binos on the place where deer or boar are expected and then they don't want to focus their binos again because as the light fades at the end of the day it becomes harder and harder to focus accurately. So once they set the focus in good light they don't want to have to move the focus again and more importantly they don't want the focus to be moved accidentally. This is why some bino models have quite stiff focus actions.

Lee
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 14:36   #34
cycleguy

And then there is the "spot and stalk" hunter or maybe that is supposed to be "stalk and spot" where everything is changing near to far with every step.

CG
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 16:46   #35
Maljunulo

When it is too dark to tell if your binoculars are focused ....... it's time to quit and go home.
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 17:04   #36
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maljunulo View Post
When it is too dark to tell if your binoculars are focused ....... it's time to quit and go home.
True, but some folks do late evening scouting after legal shooting hours in order to determine where they want to be at the crack of light the next morning. I do a lot of elk spotting during the early fall and the big guys seem to come out of the tree lines into the open meadows right at dark. A good 10X50 works great for those situations.

Poor photo to give an idea of what it is like. There was not much light to work with to get a good picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0-Elk.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	646348
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 17:38   #37
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
And then there is the "spot and stalk" hunter or maybe that is supposed to be "stalk and spot" where everything is changing near to far with every step.

CG
This sounds like Bourbon Whiskey-enhanced hunting.

Lee
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 17:39   #38
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
True, but some folks do late evening scouting after legal shooting hours in order to determine where they want to be at the crack of light the next morning. I do a lot of elk spotting during the early fall and the big guys seem to come out of the tree lines into the open meadows right at dark. A good 10X50 works great for those situations.

Poor photo to give an idea of what it is like. There was not much light to work with to get a good picture.

Attachment 646348
Thats a great photo to show what deer look like in near-darkness Bruce.

Lee
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 19:15   #39
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Thats a great photo to show what deer look like in near-darkness Bruce.

Lee
Thanks Lee. Actually in this case, we are looking at a bull elk off the state highway passing though the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation in eastern Arizona. It is one of the premier elk areas in the country, although some Colorado folks might want to argue that. He is a big guy, but would be considered small compared to some of the elk in the area.

Normally I use a Zeiss SF 10X42 during my summer excursions but it is these early and late spotting trips that justify using a Swaro 10X50 EL SV. The difference is not that great but every bit helps when dealing with so little light. It seems the bigger the elk, the closer to dark they make their appearance. I guess they did not get that big by being stupid!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 02:54   #40
cycleguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post

Attachment 646348
Bruce,

Ditto... but with whatever glass I've been carrying for the day! And no that isn't a Bourbon Whiskey glass Troub... which I am having a shot of as I type (Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey). And here is a different shot to share. It is the real deal. They come out of the National Park and walk thru town just like the tourists, but they tend to eat the flowers and other shrubbery... the tourists tend to smoke it.

CG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	646457  
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 08:50   #41
ceasar

We have Elk Herds in North West Pennsylvania. In Elk County (where else?) and Cameron County. They were native to the State until about 1860. They were re-introduced into the state in 1913 and are doing well and are a popular tourist attraction.

http://www.visitpago.com/elkviewing/

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 15:39   #42
GunnarGG

Nice photos of magnificent animals.
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 17:01   #43
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
Bruce,

Ditto... but with whatever glass I've been carrying for the day! And no that isn't a Bourbon Whiskey glass Troub... which I am having a shot of as I type (Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey). And here is a different shot to share. It is the real deal. They come out of the National Park and walk thru town just like the tourists, but they tend to eat the flowers and other shrubbery... the tourists tend to smoke it.

CG
Great photo CG. If you ever get the chance to try Bowmore single malt from the Isle of Islay, in fact any malt from Islay, it will knock your head off with the strength of flavour. They are not like the super smoothies from Speyside in mainland Scotland and pack a taste punch that takes getting used to. But Jack Daniels is sort of drifting a bit in this direction.

Lee
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 17:03   #44
Troubador

Quote:
Nice photos of magnificent animals.
You have some terrific Elk in Sweden too. I remember having to stop my car for one crossing the main road between Varnamo and Forsheda in Smaland in around 1997. It seemed to have legs like matchsticks (but long) and a body like a main battle tank!

Lee
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 20:27   #45
GunnarGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
You have some terrific Elk in Sweden too. I remember having to stop my car for one crossing the main road between Varnamo and Forsheda in Smaland in around 1997. It seemed to have legs like matchsticks (but long) and a body like a main battle tank!

Lee
Yes, and they do have long legs and big, heavy body.
Quite dangerous if you hit one with your car because you drive in under it and get the body right on the windshield.

I'm not really sure about the name of the animals though.
What we have in Sweden is this:
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%84lgar
"lg" in swedish and what I think is called elk i Brittain but moose in USA.
Is that correct?
The animal in CG's and Bruces pics I think we would call some kind of deer.

Beautiful animals all of them.
There was a white one in the paper a few days ago:
https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2017-11-1...arar-livhanken
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 07:47   #46
Troubador

Quote:
Not really sure about the name of the animals though.
What we have in Sweden is this:
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%84lgar
"lg" in swedish and what I think is called elk i Brittain but moose in USA.
Is that correct?
]
That is what I understand too: Elk in Britain and Sweden, Moose in USA, although to be more precise I am not 100% sure they are exactly the same species in Sweden and USA. There are many more than one species of deer so maybe there are several Elk/Moose species.

Lee
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 08:33   #47
paddy7

To tie this thread together, i came across a moose and calf on the edge of a marsh area in Poland - keeping well under cover, i watched them on the edge of some high grasses for about 30 minutes - through Zeiss FL 8x32s! Ta Da!!!
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 17:02   #48
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy7 View Post
To tie this thread together, i came across a moose and calf on the edge of a marsh area in Poland - keeping well under cover, i watched them on the edge of some high grasses for about 30 minutes - through Zeiss FL 8x32s! Ta Da!!!
But Paddy, was it a Moose (talking with American accent) or was it an Elk (talking with a dark Slavic or Nordic accent) ???

But the FL link was a nice one. On a very recent trip to Islay there were a couple of FL32s on the ferry on both the outward and return!

Lee
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 18:34   #49
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Elk and Moose are entirely different species.
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 20:33   #50
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Elk and Moose are entirely different species.
Thanks for clearing that up James, I had an inkling they were different.

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: