Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 5th September 2017, 10:40   #26
johnhub
Relatively newbie birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnarGG View Post
The Zeiss FL 8x32 is a great binocular that will probably be even greater when the focus is the way I think it is supposed to be.
Shame about the focus, Gunnar. I've got FLs in 8x32 and 7x42, and the focus on both is nigh on perfect - fast, smooth and silky. In fact, I only wish my Leica examples had focusers like that.

I guess it shouldn't really be a factor with alpha bins, but it does seem that you need to test out and be entirely happy with a particular sample before you commit. I think someone has mentioned that the focuser on FLs can be adjusted (albeit at the Zeiss factory, unfortunately): it would appear to be much more of a problem with Leicas.

Anecdotally, I've heard that a lot of Swaros have less than perfect focusers. Nikon, on the other hand, would appear to be perhaps the best in this regard.

Cheers
John
Old Tuesday 5th September 2017, 11:51   #27
paddy7

Well, that sounds like a great result all round - good choice made, and running into all the right people at right time to get the focus sorted - just a brief delay in starting a lifelong relationship, i reckon!
Old Wednesday 6th September 2017, 11:22   #28
GunnarGG

After reading a lot of threads, getting all the helpful answers in this thread and trying different binoculars I think I have made a good choice.

I have read about some Swaro and Leica having less than perfect focus and Nikon very good focus.
I have also seen many telling their Zeiss binos inkl FL 8x32 having very smooth focus and that makes me believe that mine also will be good after it gets fixed.

It will take a while until I'm there but I will uppdate when I know how it turns out.

As a newbee I'm very thankful for and very impressed by the knowledge and experience about binos and very impressed by the bird knowledge I see here.

Cheers
Gunnar
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: