• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's the longest time you havn't been birding? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Since we have a thread on how many times you go birding what has been the longest time you havn't been out birding. I havn't been birding this month mainly because The Edinburgh Festival is on at the moment and have been in town all day sometimes at night seeing shows but I will get back to birding next month.

I have only been out once this month and that was only for an hour.I usually go out at least three times aweek, but had so much on this month. Got a week off next week so will get back out hopefully.

My entire adolescence (when I was preoccupied with a very different kind of biped).

Last edited:
I must admit, I missed almost 3 months due to important exams I had to sit for.

Being 'locked' in was madness...but I managed to find a free hour to escape from all the stress and do some birdwatching. Now at least the effort paid off, as I have no re-sits and I can enjoy autumn to the full:t:

But now that I'm back to daily routine...I try to go birding at least 3-4 times a week...in September practically everyday

I suppose I went about three or four years in my late teens and early twenties without doing much birding if any at all. Too busy chasing young ladies, attending gigs, going to football matches and riding motorbikes. But the birds were there for me again, when I settled down [ a bit ].

Si.

about 6 or 7 hours each night when I'm asleep, when awake your eyes are always looking, checking every bird you see.

I agree, even when I was younger and clubbing every night, I'd have daily records of stuff like how many Blackcaps I'd counted on my way home as it was getting light! I'd have to be locked in a room with no windows to take away the alertness to every bird and insect I see :t:

Jan

Months at a time I am sorry to say, 8 months looks the longest from my bird logs - during the last 3 years I have birded less than half a dozen times but double that over the last 2 months - hurrah !

Karl

I can honestly say I have never not been actively birding as even walking to the pub my eyes are in the skies, trees, hedgerows etc. even when driving my lorry up and down the motoway I am seeing Buzzards sitting on fence posts looking into fields, Kites quatering etc.

I found Bedfordshire's third Yellow-browed Warbler by call when I'd just moved there and was wandering around the town centre handing out my CV :t: I think that pretty much sums up what I said in my earlier post :)

Since we have a thread on how many times you go birding what has been the longest time you havn't been out birding?/QUOTE]

Euan,
I guess it was from the time of the big bang until I became a self-aware human being, but most of you can beat that, because you are younger than me... (even Chris Butterworth)!:-O
MJB

Probably a few weeks to a month in terms of going out specifically to see birds... but as a few others have also stated of themselves, I have my eyes and ears open for birds every time I step out the door, no matter what I'm doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back